Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop - Mandriva ; Having installed Mandriva 2008.0 PP on my Toshiba laptop (15" screen), dual booting with Vista. I find that - under Linux - the picture is somewhat flattened vertically. MCC's "X Server: Set Up the Graphivcal Server" shows "1024x768 monitor" with ...

  1. Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    Having installed Mandriva 2008.0 PP on my Toshiba laptop (15"
    screen), dual booting with Vista. I find that - under Linux
    - the picture is somewhat flattened vertically.

    MCC's "X Server: Set Up the Graphivcal Server" shows "1024x768
    monitor" with resolution set to the same values.

    (Booting up Vista, it shows the resolution is set to 1280x800,
    and there is no vertical squashing of the picture.)

    In MCC's X Server graphics setup, I appear to be able to change
    the resolution to e.g. 1280x960, but after exiting MCC, on
    return the value has reverted to 1024x768.

    Under the KDE Control Centre, the "Size & Orientation" option
    shows:

    "Your X Server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or
    greater, which doesn't have any configuration yet."

    Could someone suggest how the situation could be improved,
    please?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    P.S. 64-bit Mandriva 2008.0 PP installed.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  3. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:57:23 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Having installed Mandriva 2008.0 PP on my Toshiba laptop (15" screen),
    > dual booting with Vista. I find that - under Linux - the picture is
    > somewhat flattened vertically.
    >
    > MCC's "X Server: Set Up the Graphivcal Server" shows "1024x768 monitor"
    > with resolution set to the same values.
    >
    > (Booting up Vista, it shows the resolution is set to 1280x800, and there
    > is no vertical squashing of the picture.)
    >
    > In MCC's X Server graphics setup, I appear to be able to change the
    > resolution to e.g. 1280x960, but after exiting MCC, on return the value
    > has reverted to 1024x768.
    >
    > Under the KDE Control Centre, the "Size & Orientation" option shows:
    >
    > "Your X Server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or
    > greater, which doesn't have any configuration yet."
    >
    > Could someone suggest how the situation could be improved, please?

    Suggest you try xrandr. If 1280x800 does not show up, then edit /etc/X11/
    xorg.conf and insert it - then to restart X server
    and try xrandr again. If still no luck, you probably don't have the
    correct video driver - what does /etc/X11/xorg.conf show under "Device"
    section for Driver?

  4. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    Maurice Batey writes:

    >Having installed Mandriva 2008.0 PP on my Toshiba laptop (15"
    >screen), dual booting with Vista. I find that - under Linux
    >- the picture is somewhat flattened vertically.

    >MCC's "X Server: Set Up the Graphivcal Server" shows "1024x768
    >monitor" with resolution set to the same values.

    >(Booting up Vista, it shows the resolution is set to 1280x800,
    >and there is no vertical squashing of the picture.)

    Get out the booklet that came with your computer, or go online, and find
    out what the resolution of you screen is. Ie, the number of pixels
    horizontally and vertically. That is the resolution you want to run BOTH
    vista and Mandriva at.
    If you discover it is 1280x800, run XFdrake, select the proper resolution.
    (The monitor line to set the resolution of the monitor, and the Resolution
    line to select what X will display)

    Quit, and then restart X ( alt-ctrl-Backspace)

    >In MCC's X Server graphics setup, I appear to be able to change
    >the resolution to e.g. 1280x960, but after exiting MCC, on
    >return the value has reverted to 1024x768.

    >Under the KDE Control Centre, the "Size & Orientation" option
    >shows:

    > "Your X Server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or
    >greater, which doesn't have any configuration yet."

    >Could someone suggest how the situation could be improved,
    >please?

    >--
    >/\/\aurice
    > (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)

  5. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:07:21 +0000, ray wrote:

    > Suggest you try xrandr.

    1280x800 did show up, so did "xrandr 1280x800", and resolution
    is now set to that. Thanks, Ray!

    But it doesn't persist over reboot, so have added to .bashrc.

    (and MCC still shows monitor as set to 1024x768!).

    > what does /etc/X11/xorg.conf show under "Device"
    > section for Driver?

    "intel"
    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    P.S. again.

    The laptop does not, of course, have a Viewsonic 19" monitor!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: Viewsonic VP191s LCD monitor: Picture squashed down on laptop

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:56:21 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Get out the booklet that came with your computer, or go online, and find
    > out what the resolution of you screen is.

    Installed manual says: '15.4" WXGA 1280 x 800'

    > If you discover it is 1280x800, run XFdrake, select the proper
    > resolution.

    Did that, and at first saw a list of possible resolutions
    that didn't include 1280x800.
    Then noticed 'Other' at bottom of list. Selected that, and -
    lo and behold - another set appeared, that DID include 1280x800.

    Set it to that, and Bob's your uncle (after restart)!

    Many thanks for the tuition; much appreciated....

    --
    /\/\aurice