Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva - Mandriva ; Have a few questions about the differences between 32 and 64 bit processors. I just built a new Dual Core Intel and wondering about a few things. 1. Is is better to run 64 bit programs or 32 bit? I ...

  1. Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva

    Have a few questions about the differences between 32 and 64 bit
    processors. I just built a new Dual Core Intel and wondering
    about a few things.

    1. Is is better to run 64 bit programs or 32 bit? I noticed a few
    programs have a hard time with 64 bit. Namely Flash and Acrobat
    Reader and Java.

    2. Is the Firefox thats installed with 2008 64 bit or 32?

    3. Are the Kernels the same on both 64 and 32 bit systems? or do
    they change to?

    4. Can you run both 32 and 64 bit programs on the same OS?

    5. What would that do to updates, probably confuse the hell out
    of everything.

    6. Better yet is there a website that explains these differences
    and maybe answers some of these questions. And goes into more
    detail than what I'm asking.

    I'm a little confused on this and what brought it to light was
    trying to get firefox working with Flash and Reader. Some sites
    are explaining that nspluginwrapper is the answer. Tried that
    and it just froze firefox. Anyway just wondering how I set up
    this new computer to get the best of both worlds.

    Rich

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:43:00 -0400, Rich wrote:

    > 1. Is is better to run 64 bit programs or 32 bit? I noticed a few

    Standard answer for just about anything to do with computers.
    "It depends."

    Yes, 64 bit programs will run faster than 32 bit programs, but you
    will run into some problems, when mixing 32 and 64 bit programs
    and libraries.

    In general, I would advise against installing 64 bit programs, for
    a regular desktop system, at this time. The difference in speed
    would not be enough, to make up for the extra time spent getting
    and keeping it working. I would only use 64 bit programs on a
    server, that is running a heavy cpu load.

    > 2. Is the Firefox thats installed with 2008 64 bit or 32?

    Your choice. You can install
    ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...008.0.i586.rpm
    or
    ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...8.0.x86_64.rpm

    Note the architecture name i586, or x86_64, in the paths.

    > 3. Are the Kernels the same on both 64 and 32 bit systems? or do
    > they change to?

    They change too.

    > 4. Can you run both 32 and 64 bit programs on the same OS?

    Only if you have the 64 bit kernel, and the programs either do not
    interact, or are compatible. A 64 bit address cannot be passed to a
    32 bit module, but programs that communicate via sockets or pipes can
    have different addressing modes.

    > 5. What would that do to updates, probably confuse the hell out
    > of everything.

    It's just a matter of selecting the right repositories for urpmi.
    If you go to http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ or
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ the first screen asks which architecture you are
    using.

    Anything available from Mandriva has both 32 and 64 bit version available.
    It's only with third party software, such as browser plugins, that you'll
    find some problems.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva

    Rich wrote:
    > Have a few questions about the differences between 32 and 64 bit
    > processors. I just built a new Dual Core Intel and wondering
    > about a few things.
    >
    > 1. Is is better to run 64 bit programs or 32 bit? I noticed a few
    > programs have a hard time with 64 bit. Namely Flash and Acrobat
    > Reader and Java.

    If you need to address a huge memory space, 64-bit is the only
    way to go. There are some calculation-intensive applications
    that will benefit from 64-bit wordlength. (Back in the late
    1970s, the head of the U.S. Army's Foreign Science and Technology
    Center had to personally present to the U.S. Congress a
    justification of his request for a more expensive Cray that would
    handle 64-bit wordlength rather than 32-bit wordlength). For
    home use, and most ordinary business use, the 32-bit system will
    work fine.

    > 2. Is the Firefox thats installed with 2008 64 bit or 32?

    Your choice. The 32-bit version is generally recommended, as
    you will have to restort to IcedTea java, and Adobe Flash is
    problematic. (I have not tried to install it on my current
    cooker OS; I did have it working on 2008.0. -- but my belief
    is that it should not have worked. YMMV)

    > 3. Are the Kernels the same on both 64 and 32 bit systems? or do
    > they change to?

    They change. One uses 32-bit wordlength; the other 64-bit.

    > 4. Can you run both 32 and 64 bit programs on the same OS?

    The 64-bit system will run 32-bit applications. The other way
    round will not work, even if the hardware is capable of it.

    > 5. What would that do to updates, probably confuse the hell out
    > of everything.

    You get mirror repositories for both 64-bit and 32-bit versions.
    If you have 64-bit installed, the update is 64-bit. Otherwise,
    otherwise.

    > 6. Better yet is there a website that explains these differences
    > and maybe answers some of these questions. And goes into more
    > detail than what I'm asking.

    Perhaps someone else can answer that.

    Linux localhost 2.6.24.3-desktop-3mnb #1 SMP Fri Mar 14 14:18:00
    CET 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    GNU/Linux

    > I'm a little confused on this and what brought it to light was
    > trying to get firefox working with Flash and Reader. Some sites
    > are explaining that nspluginwrapper is the answer. Tried that
    > and it just froze firefox. Anyway just wondering how I set up
    > this new computer to get the best of both worlds.

    I use neither. There are other programs that will read pdf
    files, and there is a gnuflash that in the past 2 days has
    failed miserably to cope with a couple of videos. I have
    not made much effort to figure out why, though, so the problem
    may be in configuration.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Questions about 32 and 64 bit processor and Mandriva

    Thanks both of you for clearing up some of the questions I had.

    Rich

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"