Mandriva 2008 on mac mini - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008 on mac mini - Mandriva ; I am thinking of getting a mac mini. Reason is it's small and it's *silent*. Would I have problems installing MD 2008 on it? Anyone here tried it? I have been googling but don't find any new sites. Thanks...

  1. Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    I am thinking of getting a mac mini.
    Reason is it's small and it's *silent*.

    Would I have problems installing MD 2008 on it?
    Anyone here tried it?

    I have been googling but don't find any new sites.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:11:51 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > I am thinking of getting a mac mini.
    > Reason is it's small and it's *silent*.

    I have no idea if linux will install on a mac mini, however, I do have
    a word of caution.

    My friend's mini got drunk and died!

    It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine. The
    mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which are on
    the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the exhaust vents on
    the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again. I was able to
    transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data retrieval, but the
    logic board was fried.

    If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    surface it's on.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    In article , David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:11:51 -0400, Iordani wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking of getting a mac mini.
    >> Reason is it's small and it's *silent*.

    > I have no idea if linux will install on a mac mini, however, I do have
    > a word of caution.
    >
    > My friend's mini got drunk and died!
    >
    > It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine. The
    > mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which are on
    > the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the exhaust vents on
    > the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again. I was able to
    > transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data retrieval, but the
    > logic board was fried.
    >
    > If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    > surface it's on.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I looked into the mac mini and ultimately decided against it because you can
    never be *quite* sure with mac hardware, and the mac mini wireless in
    particular I believe is problematic. I instead purchased a Koala mini at
    www.system76.com. Same form factor, essentially the same price, but it's
    fully compatible with Linux and comes with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon installed. I
    am waiting for my Mandriva x86_64 disks to arrive in the mail so I can install
    (also going to try OpenSuse). I am really not much of a fan of Ubuntu, but I
    figure if hardware can handle an Ubuntu install natively (no extra drivers,
    etc.) Mandriva should install with zero problems. I currently have a very
    slow network connection, so waiting for the disk in the mail is my only
    solution; no downloads (another reason why Ubuntu isn't great for me: apt-get
    really needs a good network connection for downloading fun stuff; I'm
    basicallly on dial up).

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:12:23 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > My friend's mini got drunk and died!
    >
    > It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine.
    > The mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which
    > are on the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the
    > exhaust vents on the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again.
    > I was able to transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data
    > retrieval, but the logic board was fried.
    >
    > If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    > surface it's on.

    Or you might conclude that you shouldn't drink, or keep cats. It seemed
    like all three factors were required to achieve the circumstance in which
    the mini was killed.

    Or maybe a porous table surface would have saved it?

  5. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    Iordani wrote:
    > I am thinking of getting a mac mini.
    > Reason is it's small and it's *silent*.
    >
    > Would I have problems installing MD 2008 on it?
    > Anyone here tried it?
    >
    > I have been googling but don't find any new sites.
    >
    > Thanks

    I know linux will boot on intel powered imacs, I buted the ubuntu live
    cd on alyssa's imac, she won't let me boot mandriva one on it thow.

    never tried to install linux on a mac thow.

  6. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    R Wood wrote:

    > I looked into the mac mini and ultimately decided against it because you
    > can never be *quite* sure with mac hardware, and the mac mini wireless in
    > particular I believe is problematic.

    Do you happen to have any links from your 'investigation'?
    I will use cable so wifi is not a problem.

    > I instead purchased a Koala mini at
    > www.system76.com.

    Thanks. I will check this out.

  7. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On 2008-03-17, marksouth wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:12:23 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> My friend's mini got drunk and died!
    >>
    >> It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine.
    >> The mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which
    >> are on the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the
    >> exhaust vents on the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again.
    >> I was able to transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data
    >> retrieval, but the logic board was fried.
    >>
    >> If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    >> surface it's on.

    > Or you might conclude that you shouldn't drink, or keep cats.

    Now let's not get too silly here )

    > It seemed
    > like all three factors were required to achieve the circumstance in which
    > the mini was killed.

    .... and any machine with an air intake below the high-tide mark would have
    been in trouble.

    > Or maybe a porous table surface would have saved it?

    Or a shelf too high or remote for anyone to put a drink on it?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  8. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    marksouth wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:12:23 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> My friend's mini got drunk and died!
    >>
    >> It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine.
    >> The mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which
    >> are on the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the
    >> exhaust vents on the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again.
    >> I was able to transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data
    >> retrieval, but the logic board was fried.
    >>
    >> If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    >> surface it's on.

    > Or you might conclude that you shouldn't drink, or keep cats. It seemed
    > like all three factors were required to achieve the circumstance in which
    > the mini was killed.
    >
    > Or maybe a porous table surface would have saved it?

    or possibly...a cat that drinks wine

  9. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On 2008-03-17, R Wood wrote:
    > In article , David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:11:51 -0400, Iordani wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am thinking of getting a mac mini.
    >>> Reason is it's small and it's *silent*.

    >> I have no idea if linux will install on a mac mini, however, I do have
    >> a word of caution.
    >>
    >> My friend's mini got drunk and died!
    >>
    >> It was on a glass table, and her cat knocked over a glass of red wine. The
    >> mini inhaled some of the wine through it's air intake vents, which are on
    >> the bottom of the cube, exhaled a small amount through the exhaust vents on
    >> the front, then shutdown, never to be powered up again. I was able to
    >> transfer the hard drive to another computer, for data retrieval, but the
    >> logic board was fried.
    >>
    >> If you do get a mac mini, make sure you keep it elevated, from whatever
    >> surface it's on.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > I looked into the mac mini and ultimately decided against it because you can
    > never be *quite* sure with mac hardware, and the mac mini wireless in
    > particular I believe is problematic. I instead purchased a Koala mini at
    > www.system76.com.

    [...]

    That would fit onto a book-shelf )

    There are rumours of an Asus EeePC desktop 'small form factor' box.

    The Mandriva offering of Mandriva Flash with a Linutop PC looks
    interesting

    - or the Linutop with Xubuntu, if you like that sort of thing
    .

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:01:00 -0400, marksouth wrote:

    > Or you might conclude that you shouldn't drink, or keep cats. It seemed
    > like all three factors were required to achieve the circumstance in which
    > the mini was killed.

    I doubt any of those options would be accepted. I expect coffee would
    have been just as bad for the circuit board, as the wine.

    > Or maybe a porous table surface would have saved it?

    It would have slowed the spread of the liquid. Having the intake ports on
    the bottom makes the cube very susceptible to becoming a very short lived
    wet vac.

    Just a warning, for anyone with a cube. Keep it elevated from the desk
    or table surface, just in case.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:01:00 -0400, marksouth wrote:

    >> Or you might conclude that you shouldn't drink, or keep cats. It seemed
    >> like all three factors were required to achieve the circumstance in which
    >> the mini was killed.

    >I doubt any of those options would be accepted. I expect coffee would
    >have been just as bad for the circuit board, as the wine.

    >> Or maybe a porous table surface would have saved it?

    >It would have slowed the spread of the liquid. Having the intake ports on
    >the bottom makes the cube very susceptible to becoming a very short lived
    >wet vac.

    >Just a warning, for anyone with a cube. Keep it elevated from the desk
    >or table surface, just in case.

    Or just have it upsidedown on the table.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  12. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:53:32 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >>Just a warning, for anyone with a cube. Keep it elevated from the desk
    >>or table surface, just in case.

    > Or just have it upsidedown on the table.

    That's actually a great solution. Thanks for making me laugh at myself,
    for not having seen what should be obvious.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Mandriva 2008 on mac mini

    In article <6483toF2ao0voU1@mid.individual.net>, Iordani wrote:
    > R Wood wrote:
    >

    >> I looked into the mac mini and ultimately decided against it because you
    >> can never be *quite* sure with mac hardware, and the mac mini wireless in
    >> particular I believe is problematic.

    > Do you happen to have any links from your 'investigation'?
    > I will use cable so wifi is not a problem.

    No, but you too can 'investigate' by googling 'mac mini linux wireless' and
    noticing how many posts involve anguished linux users trying to get wireless
    hardware on their Mac minis to work. I think if you're going to use wired
    networking you will be fine. I wanted wireless though, so that's as far as I
    investigated, and I chose the solution where I was assured the hardware would
    be Linux compatible.

+ Reply to Thread