Setting CD & DVD drive mount points - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting CD & DVD drive mount points - Mandriva ; Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer. In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher than 38.4kb, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer.

    In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has
    suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher
    than 38.4kb, but I didn't have setserial on my drive so tried to install
    it using MCC.

    When I select the file to install, it asks me to load my DVD disk into
    the CD drive! Not going to work real well, but I cannot get it to look
    at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    swapped the connection points to the cable.

    Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    initially set them up the other way round.

    Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:38:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    > DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    > initially set them up the other way round.
    >
    > Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    > drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    > Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??

    Places to look, /etc/fstab and in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
    Make sure to NOT have devices mounted before dinking with files.
    I suggest making a /etc/fstab_bkup copy before modifications.
    Same for cfg.

    Make your change in /etc/fstab, save it, then test with
    mount /whatever/you_did
    ls /whatever/you_did
    umount /whatever/you_did

    Then dink with /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

  3. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:38:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >> Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    >> DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    >> initially set them up the other way round.
    >>
    >> Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    >> drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    >> Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??

    > Places to look, /etc/fstab and in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
    > Make sure to NOT have devices mounted before dinking with files.
    > I suggest making a /etc/fstab_bkup copy before modifications.
    > Same for cfg.
    >
    > Make your change in /etc/fstab, save it, then test with
    > mount /whatever/you_did
    > ls /whatever/you_did
    > umount /whatever/you_did
    >
    > Then dink with /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

    I've found an additional problem with 2007 and
    mounting the DVD and CD.

    Even though I've set my mount points as /mnt/dvd
    and /mnt/cdrom and fstab reflects this (and
    worked just fine in 10.0 and previously), the
    upgrade to 2007 now refuses to allow me to
    manually mount either device at those points,
    even as root. This messes up apps expecting to
    find the devices there as well.

    For some reason I suspect has to do with udev
    and/or supermount, the system insists on using
    the mount points at /media/dvd and media/cdrom
    that it has created in spite of whatever fstab
    says. And gives me an error if I try to mount
    manually.

    I edited the urpmi script to look under /media,
    but I'd rather have it back to where I can mount
    where *I* want manually or otherwise.

    Since the OP is using 2007 too, he may be running
    into a similar roadblock.

    Ideas, anyone?

    Nyssa, who blew up a monitor on Friday and had
    to buy a new on on Saturday

  4. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:38:34 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    > Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    > swapped the connection points to the cable.

    I don't remember if 2007 used udev, but if it does, swapping the connection
    points will cause a problem.

    udev stores information about which pci address will be mapped to which /dev
    entries in "/etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules" Since /dev/cdrom and
    /dev/cdrom0 have already been assigned to the prior location, the cd will
    now be assigned to /dev/cdrom1, hence the fstab entries no longer specify
    the correct device. Similar for the dvd.

    To correct this, edit the above rues file, and delete all lines, except
    the comments at the top, and then reboot. udev will find the current
    configuration, and generate lines for the cd and dvd, with /dev/cdrom,
    and /dev/dvd, respectively. Once the device names match those that
    are found in /etc/fstab, the /media mountpoints will no longer be dynamically
    assigned.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:38:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer.
    >
    > In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has
    > suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher
    > than 38.4kb, but I didn't have setserial on my drive so tried to install
    > it using MCC.
    >
    > When I select the file to install, it asks me to load my DVD disk into
    > the CD drive! Not going to work real well, but I cannot get it to look
    > at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    > Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    > swapped the connection points to the cable.

    That may be just word error in the program. What happens when you install
    the dvd into your dvd drive? And yes, it does matter if you if you changed
    the actaul connection on the cable and you are using drive select on the
    drives. If you are using the master/slave jumpers on the drives it won't
    matter as long as they are both still on the same cable. The default
    jumper setting on cd's used to be slave. I think they've changed that to
    cable select now. So it's quite possible you've screwed it up. Either
    reverse tham back or use the master/slave jumpers on the drives to get
    them back the way they were. More info below.

    > Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    > DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    > initially set them up the other way round.
    >
    > Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    > drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    > Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??

    Linux uses real hardware addresses and assigns device names accordingly.
    hda is always the primary drive on the primary controller of your system.
    hdb is always the slave driver on the primary controller. hdc is always
    the primary drive connected to the secondary controller. hdd is always the
    slave drive on the secondary controller, and so on.

    These drives are recorded in /etc/fstab. Don't screw with it (or any other
    setting) unless you know what you are doing. You can't swap the drives in
    it. The drives are at fixed locations, so if you have the cd on hdc and
    the dvd on hdd, then the fstab entry should show then the same. If you
    change that thinking you've changed their location, all you've done is
    point the cd mount point to the dvd and vice verse.

    BTW, not that you should mess with it, but the theres media configure in
    MCC to set things up. I really don't advise you to screw with it unless
    you really know what you are doing.

  6. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Daniel wrote:
    > Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer.
    >
    > In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has
    > suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher
    > than 38.4kb, but I didn't have setserial on my drive so tried to install
    > it using MCC.
    >
    > When I select the file to install, it asks me to load my DVD disk into
    > the CD drive! Not going to work real well, but I cannot get it to look
    > at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    > Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    > swapped the connection points to the cable.
    >
    > Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    > DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    > initially set them up the other way round.
    >
    > Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    > drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    > Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    Thank you BT, Nyssa, David and Wes. I've printed your responses out and
    will have a fiddle today.

    Daniel

  7. Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Daniel wrote:
    > Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer.
    >
    > In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has
    > suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher
    > than 38.4kb, but I didn't have setserial on my drive so tried to install
    > it using MCC.
    >
    > When I select the file to install, it asks me to load my DVD disk into
    > the CD drive! Not going to work real well, but I cannot get it to look
    > at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    > Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    > swapped the connection points to the cable.
    >
    > Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    > DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    > initially set them up the other way round.
    >
    > Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    > drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    > Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    Have you tried using MCC (configure your computer)
    Click on Local Disks.
    You will see the DVD drive and CD drive icon.
    Click on it and set the mount points.
    It will ask if you want to write it to fstab.
    Keep smiling.
    Don.

  8. Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Daniel wrote:
    > Dual boot win98/Mandriva 2007 with a Cd writer and a DVD writer.
    >
    > In one of the other threads here (Getting my Speed back), someone has
    > suggested using the setserial function to set my modem speed to higher
    > than 38.4kb, but I didn't have setserial on my drive so tried to install
    > it using MCC.
    >
    > When I select the file to install, it asks me to load my DVD disk into
    > the CD drive! Not going to work real well, but I cannot get it to look
    > at my DVD drive for the DVD disk. If it matters, I've have both the CD
    > Drive and the DVD Drive connected via the one data cable and have
    > swapped the connection points to the cable.
    >
    > Somewhere along the way, I've tried to set my CD drive as hdc and the
    > DVD drive as hdd (seems logical to me) whereas the system may have
    > initially set them up the other way round.
    >
    > Anybody got suggestions as to how I can get the system looking in my DVD
    > drive when it wants a DVD, and, hopefully, how to correctly set the CD
    > Drive up as hdc and the DVD Drive as hdd??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    I've played tonight, and this is what I've got:-

    The drives are set up as follows:-
    Primary Master is the Hard Drive (partitioned for Win98 (C:, D:, E:, F:,
    & G, MD10.1, MD2007.0, /Home & /Swap)
    Primary Slave is empty (but I can connect a second HD for back-up purposes)
    Secondary Master is the CD drive and shows in Win98 as H:\
    Secondary Slave is the DVD drive and shows in Win98 as I:\

    From etc/fstab

    /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

    Should I be seeing a difference between a mounted CD drive and a mounted
    DVD drive? How do I tell which is which??

    etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-

    Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    }
    Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free).cz
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    }

    Only difference between the two listings is the top is "DVD removable"
    whilst the second is "DVD\ (non-free) removable". Both seem to be
    pointing to cdrom (i.e. removable: /dev/hdc) when they're supposed to be
    for a DVD!

    Re Dave Hodgins suggestion for udev, I deleted all the lines, except the
    comments at the top, in /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rule (after
    making a back-up), re-booted the system, and
    /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rule now contains:-

    SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add",
    ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:07.1-ide-1:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom cdrom0 cdrw
    cdrw0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add",
    ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:07.1-ide-1:1", SYMLINK+="cdrom1 cdrw1 dvd
    dvd0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"

    Prior to making the edits suggested by Dave, the "dvd dvd0" had been on
    the same line as the "cdrom cdrom0 cdrw cdrw0".

    Above, after listing the relevant lines of /etc/fstab, I asked "Should I
    be seeing a difference between a mounted CD drive and a mounted DVD
    drive? How do I tell which is which??" Do the -ide-1:0 and -ide-1:1
    indicate which is which, i.e. -ide-1:0 indicates the secondary master
    and -ide-1:1 indicates the secondary slave?

    /device/cdrom points to hdc
    /device/dvd points to hdd

    /media is empty

    In Win98, a CD plays in CD drive and CD can be read in the DVD drive and
    a DVD can be read by the DVD drive
    In MD2007.0, a CD in the CD drive brings up the "Audio CD - KDE Daemon"
    window, showing Medium type audio CD, but when I tell it to play the cd,
    it just sits there, not making any sound because the player is paused
    and will not play. When the CD is placed in the DVD drive, same thing
    happens.

    When I put the Mandriva 2007.0 DVD in the DVD drive, it brings up a
    "2007.0-Powerpack-disc1 - KDE Daemon" window and when I select "Open in
    a new window, Konqueror opens looking at system:/media/hdd

    So, at this stage, MD2007.0 is seeing the DVD drive as hdd and is
    working o.k., but, whilst MD2007.0 is seeing the CD drive as hdc but,
    apparently, it is not reading the disk correctly.

    When I go into MCC and try to install "setserial", MCC is still looking
    for me to put the DVD into the CD drive!

    Is there any more info I can provide?

    TIA

    Daniel

  9. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:00:24 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > From etc/fstab
    > /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    > Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    > Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    > /device/cdrom points to hdc
    > /device/dvd points to hdd

    I find it much easier to bypass the guis and edit the files directly.

    Insert the dvd. Try mounting both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use "ls -l /mnt/hdc"
    and "ls -l /mnt/hdc" to determine which is the dvd.

    Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change all occurrences of /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc
    or /mnt/hdd, as appropriate.

    Then run rpmdrake, and confirm it is reading from the correct device.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:00:24 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    > From etc/fstab
    >
    > /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >
    > Should I be seeing a difference between a mounted CD drive and a mounted
    > DVD drive? How do I tell which is which??

    You place media in a drive, mount it and do a ls to verify you see something:
    Example: dvd in hdd, mount /mnt/hdd, ls /mnt/hdd

    > etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >
    > Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdc
    > static
    > }

    There would be my WAG for any changes.
    change removable: /dev/hdc
    to removable: /dev/hdd

  11. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:00:24 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> From etc/fstab
    >>
    >> /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >>
    >> Should I be seeing a difference between a mounted CD drive and a mounted
    >> DVD drive? How do I tell which is which??

    > You place media in a drive, mount it and do a ls to verify you see something:
    > Example: dvd in hdd, mount /mnt/hdd, ls /mnt/hdd

    CD in the DVD drive

    [root@P005 daniel]# mount /mnt/dvd
    mount: can't find /mnt/dvd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    [root@P005 daniel]#

    /etc/fstab still shows (in part):-
    /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

    >> etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >>
    >> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >> hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    >> with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    >> key-ids: 70771ff3
    >> removable: /dev/hdc
    >> static
    >> }

    > There would be my WAG for any changes.
    > change removable: /dev/hdc
    > to removable: /dev/hdd

    Sorry, WAG means ???? Warning Against G????

    Daniel

  12. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:00:24 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> From etc/fstab
    >> /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >> Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    >> /device/cdrom points to hdc
    >> /device/dvd points to hdd

    > I find it much easier to bypass the guis and edit the files directly.
    >
    > Insert the dvd. Try mounting both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use "ls -l /mnt/hdc"
    > and "ls -l /mnt/hdc" to determine which is the dvd.

    See my response to BT.

    > Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change all occurrences of /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc
    > or /mnt/hdd, as appropriate.

    O.K.

    > Then run rpmdrake, and confirm it is reading from the correct device.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Daniel

  13. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:00:24 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> From etc/fstab
    >> /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >> Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    >> /device/cdrom points to hdc
    >> /device/dvd points to hdd

    > I find it much easier to bypass the guis and edit the files directly.
    >
    > Insert the dvd. Try mounting both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use "ls -l /mnt/hdc"
    > and "ls -l /mnt/hdc" to determine which is the dvd.
    >
    > Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change all occurrences of /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc
    > or /mnt/hdd, as appropriate.
    >
    > Then run rpmdrake, and confirm it is reading from the correct device.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    urpmi now has:-

    Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    removable: /dev/hdc
    static
    }
    Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free).cz
    with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    removable: /dev/hdd
    static
    }

    Is this correct? I'm guessing not as:-

    [root@P005 daniel]# rpmdrake
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-fre
    e)"
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.
    cz]
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD
    (non-free).cz]
    Fatal: medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    [root@P005 daniel]#

    and it still spits out the CD drive's tray, looking for the DVD.

    Daniel

  14. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:41:16 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    > urpmi now has:-
    >
    > Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdc
    > static

    The removable: line indicates where to look.
    If you have the dvd inserted into /dev/hdc then urpm should find it.

    Now if /dev/hdd is your dvd reader, you need to
    change /dev/hdc
    to /dev/hdd

    snippet from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAG

    WAG can refer to:
    * WAG, {Wild Ass Guess} In electronic forums

  15. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Daniel wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:00:24 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> From etc/fstab
    >>> /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >>> /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >>> etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >>> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >>> Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    >>> /device/cdrom points to hdc
    >>> /device/dvd points to hdd

    >> I find it much easier to bypass the guis and edit the files directly.
    >>
    >> Insert the dvd. Try mounting both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use "ls -l /mnt/hdc"
    >> and "ls -l /mnt/hdc" to determine which is the dvd.
    >>
    >> Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change all occurrences of /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc
    >> or /mnt/hdd, as appropriate.
    >>
    >> Then run rpmdrake, and confirm it is reading from the correct device.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > urpmi now has:-
    >
    > Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdc
    > static
    > }
    > Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free).cz
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdd
    > static
    > }
    >
    > Is this correct? I'm guessing not as:-
    >
    > [root@P005 daniel]# rpmdrake
    > unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    > unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-fre
    > e)"
    > examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.
    > cz]
    > examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD
    > (non-free).cz]
    > Fatal: medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    > [root@P005 daniel]#
    >
    > and it still spits out the CD drive's tray, looking for the DVD.
    >
    > Daniel

    I'm suffering through a similar problem, only in
    my case, some "helper" app in 2007 is overriding
    the fstab-specified mount points. And not allowing
    me to manually mount either device even as root.

    I see by your fstab entries you're not using
    supermount. I have supermount on, but it doesn't
    seem to make any difference in the problem.

    I found that kde was "helping" my by running
    an applet that looked for a CD or DVD being
    inserted then popping up a dialog box, then
    launching Konqueror after mounting the device
    where *it* wanted to (the /media hierarchy
    I mentioned upthread). I disabled that, but
    the problem of not mounting manually at the
    usual mount points persists.

    I'm still digging along with trying to solve
    a soundcard problem, so if I trip over anything,
    I'll report it.

    I just don't understand why Mandriva and/or
    KDE would even write an app that overrides the
    fstab mount points especially when so many
    other standard apps (such as urpmi) are looking
    there for a pointer of where to go. Or why they
    would NOT allow manual mounting of devices.
    I also tried deleting the /media hierarchy,
    but then KDE just merrily created a new mount
    point under /dev based on the *title* of the
    DVD. That's really useful...not.

    Whatever it is that's causing this problem,
    the 2008 users don't seem to be having it,
    or have found workarounds.

    I've been dealing with it on a case-by-case
    situation and doing a lot of manual editing of
    the urpmi config file each time I need to load
    in an rpm.

    Anyone care to chime in on the 2007.0 vs 2008
    release changes that would affect this mount
    situation?

    Nyssa, who prefers the command line for most
    system admin stuff and is ticked when GUIs try
    to rule

  16. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:41:16 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > urpmi now has:-
    >
    > Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    > with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdc
    > static
    > }
    > Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    > hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free).cz with_hdlist:
    > media_info/hdlist.cz
    > key-ids: 70771ff3
    > removable: /dev/hdd
    > static
    > }
    >
    > Is this correct? I'm guessing not as:-

    And you are guessing correctly. Just look at it. The problem should be
    obvious. The DVD drive, if you only have one, can't be be both hdc and
    hdd. Both entries are for dvd's so they should both point to the same
    device. /dev/hdd from what you said. Try this before you do anything else.

    Now to clean up fstab;

    Delete any entries in fstab for optical drives.
    Go into MCC and configure them again and save it.
    Be sure to configure both devices and give user access.
    Now try and mount them with command line using the new fstab mount point.

    If all else fails. Re-install.:-)

  17. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:29:30 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > CD in the DVD drive
    > [root@P005 daniel]# mount /mnt/dvd
    > mount: can't find /mnt/dvd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    >
    > /etc/fstab still shows (in part):-
    > /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

    Take things one step at a time.

    Look at the above. You're trying to mount /mnt/dvd, when the fstab
    entry is saying to use /mnt/hdc, or /mnt/hdd.

    Make sure the directories /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd exist, so they can
    be used, as mount points.

    Issue the mount commands for both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use ls -l /mnt/hdc
    and ls -l /mnd/hdd, to figure out which one is the dvd drive.

    >>> etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg shows:-
    >>> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {

    Once you know whether the dvd is on /mnt/hdc or /mnt/hdd, change the
    above from /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc or /mnd/hdd.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  18. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:46:06 -0400, Nyssa wrote:

    > I'm suffering through a similar problem, only in
    > my case, some "helper" app in 2007 is overriding
    > the fstab-specified mount points. And not allowing
    > me to manually mount either device even as root.

    It helps to review how devices entries are generated.

    The cd or dvd drive will be assigned /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx depending
    on the type of controller it's attached to, whether it's on the
    primary, or secondary controller, and whether its master, or slave.

    /dev/hda = ide primary controller, master
    /dev/hdb = ide primary controller, slave
    /dev/hdc = ide secondary controller, master
    /dev/hdd = ide secondary controller, slave.
    /dev/sda = sata or scsi controller, first device, etc.

    udev creates symlinks such as /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, and stores
    info about which device it's given those symlinks to, in
    /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules

    If you have a dvd player on /dev/hdc, that's the ide address 1:0
    with the 1 indicating secondary controller (0 is primary), and
    the 0 indicating master. udev will add all of the symlinks
    "cdrom cdrom0 cdrw cdrw0 dvd dvd0" under /dev, all pointing to
    /dev/hdc.

    If you move the dvd player to /dev/hdd, udev will not resuse
    the above symlinks. Instead, it'll add a new line to the rules
    file, and will create new symlinks "cdrom1 cdrw1 dvd1", all
    pointing to /dev/hdd. The old symlinks such as /dev/dvd will
    still point to /dev/hdc.

    To get /dev/dvd to point to /dev/hdd, you have to manually delete
    the rules from the file /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules,
    and restart udev, or reboot.

    > I just don't understand why Mandriva and/or
    > KDE would even write an app that overrides the
    > fstab mount points especially when so many

    As far as I know, the generation of mount points in the /media
    directory, only happens if the device does not have an entry
    in /etc/fstab.

    If you explicitly use /dev/hdc (pick the right device, of course),
    in /etc/fstab, then that will not be overridden. The problem
    happens when you use a symlink, such as /dev/dvd, and udev is
    assigning /dev/dvd1, to the device, because /dev/dvd has already
    been assigned, to a different device.

    Here's what I use in /etc/fstab for my dvd drive ...
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec0 0

    I manually mount the device, when required.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  19. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:46:06 -0400, Nyssa wrote:
    >
    >> I'm suffering through a similar problem, only in
    >> my case, some "helper" app in 2007 is overriding
    >> the fstab-specified mount points. And not allowing
    >> me to manually mount either device even as root.

    > It helps to review how devices entries are generated.
    >
    > The cd or dvd drive will be assigned /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx depending
    > on the type of controller it's attached to, whether it's on the
    > primary, or secondary controller, and whether its master, or slave.
    >
    > /dev/hda = ide primary controller, master
    > /dev/hdb = ide primary controller, slave
    > /dev/hdc = ide secondary controller, master
    > /dev/hdd = ide secondary controller, slave.
    > /dev/sda = sata or scsi controller, first device, etc.
    >
    > udev creates symlinks such as /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, and stores
    > info about which device it's given those symlinks to, in
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules
    >
    > If you have a dvd player on /dev/hdc, that's the ide address 1:0
    > with the 1 indicating secondary controller (0 is primary), and
    > the 0 indicating master. udev will add all of the symlinks
    > "cdrom cdrom0 cdrw cdrw0 dvd dvd0" under /dev, all pointing to
    > /dev/hdc.
    >
    > If you move the dvd player to /dev/hdd, udev will not resuse
    > the above symlinks. Instead, it'll add a new line to the rules
    > file, and will create new symlinks "cdrom1 cdrw1 dvd1", all
    > pointing to /dev/hdd. The old symlinks such as /dev/dvd will
    > still point to /dev/hdc.
    >
    > To get /dev/dvd to point to /dev/hdd, you have to manually delete
    > the rules from the file /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules,
    > and restart udev, or reboot.
    >
    >> I just don't understand why Mandriva and/or
    >> KDE would even write an app that overrides the
    >> fstab mount points especially when so many

    > As far as I know, the generation of mount points in the /media
    > directory, only happens if the device does not have an entry
    > in /etc/fstab.
    >
    > If you explicitly use /dev/hdc (pick the right device, of course),
    > in /etc/fstab, then that will not be overridden. The problem
    > happens when you use a symlink, such as /dev/dvd, and udev is
    > assigning /dev/dvd1, to the device, because /dev/dvd has already
    > been assigned, to a different device.
    >
    > Here's what I use in /etc/fstab for my dvd drive ...
    > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >
    > I manually mount the device, when required.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Okay, let's try this again.

    No device has been moved since the upgrade to
    2007.0. My fstab entry specifies the mount points
    as the usual /dev/hdb to /mnt/dvd and the
    cdrom as /dev/hdd to /mnt/cdrom. [I understand
    about controllers and such; I've been a UNIX
    sysadmin in the past and started in the computer
    programming business in 1982.]

    Specifically:
    none /mnt/dvd supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,
    umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,dev,codepage=850,
    suid 0 0

    none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,--,
    umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,dev,codepage=850,
    suid 0 0

    But that's not what's happening. When I attempt
    to manually mount a device on the appropriate
    mount point I get:
    mount /dev/hdb /mnt/dvd
    /dev/hdb: Input/output error
    mount: permission denied

    Things worked dandy from Mandrake 7.0 until
    2007.0 when udev came along. Between this
    and the soundcard problem it's causing I'm
    really learning to hate the damned thing.
    (With the soundcard, it's deleting the
    /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, etc files at each boot
    after I've created them with sndconfig.)

    Frustration abounds.

    Nyssa, who wishes the documentation were better
    for almost everything in Mandriva

  20. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:06:29 -0400, Nyssa wrote:

    > No device has been moved since the upgrade to

    Ok. That rules out problems with old rules in /etc/udev/rules.d.

    > 2007.0. My fstab entry specifies the mount points
    > as the usual /dev/hdb to /mnt/dvd and the
    > cdrom as /dev/hdd to /mnt/cdrom. [I understand
    > about controllers and such; I've been a UNIX
    > sysadmin in the past and started in the computer
    > programming business in 1982.]

    I only have three years on you. Started working as a programmer in 79,
    but all of my work experience was with mvs, using ims db/dc and db2. I
    only started with linux with Mandrake 9, if I remember correctly.

    > Specifically:
    > none /mnt/dvd supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,
    > umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,dev,codepage=850,
    > suid 0 0

    Is that the actual fstab entry? Doesn't look right. Try changing it to
    /dev/hdb /mnt/dvd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 00

    > But that's not what's happening. When I attempt
    > to manually mount a device on the appropriate
    > mount point I get:
    > mount /dev/hdb /mnt/dvd
    > /dev/hdb: Input/output error
    > mount: permission denied

    Has /dev/hdb already been mounted by the supermount? What does
    "mount|grep hdb" show? You should be specifying the device, or mount point,
    not both, in the mount command. "mount /dev/hdb", or "mount /mnt/dvd".

    What does "ls -ld /mnt/dvd" and "ls -ld /dev/hdb" show for ownership
    and permissions?

    > Things worked dandy from Mandrake 7.0 until
    > 2007.0 when udev came along. Between this

    The helper apps are great for users coming from windows, when they
    work. They are a royal pain, for adding complexity, when they don't.

    > (With the soundcard, it's deleting the
    > /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, etc files at each boot
    > after I've created them with sndconfig.)

    Those should be automatically created when alsa and sound get started
    and detects the device.

    In order to consistently get the sound working on my system, I had to add
    alsactl restore
    service alsa restart
    to /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Perhaps adding those commands may help on your
    system too.

    > Frustration abounds.
    > Nyssa, who wishes the documentation were better
    > for almost everything in Mandriva

    Agreed!

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast