Setting CD & DVD drive mount points - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting CD & DVD drive mount points - Mandriva ; David W. Hodgins wrote: > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:29:30 -0400, Daniel wrote: > >> CD in the DVD drive >> [root@P005 daniel]# mount /mnt/dvd >> mount: can't find /mnt/dvd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab >> >> /etc/fstab still shows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:29:30 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> CD in the DVD drive
    >> [root@P005 daniel]# mount /mnt/dvd
    >> mount: can't find /mnt/dvd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    >>
    >> /etc/fstab still shows (in part):-
    >> /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    >> /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

    > Take things one step at a time.
    >
    > Look at the above. You're trying to mount /mnt/dvd, when the fstab
    > entry is saying to use /mnt/hdc, or /mnt/hdd.

    under /mnt I have cdrom, cdrom2, dvd, hdc, hdd and hdvd mounts.

    > Make sure the directories /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd exist, so they can
    > be used, as mount points.
    >
    > Issue the mount commands for both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use ls -l /mnt/hdc
    > and ls -l /mnd/hdd, to figure out which one is the dvd drive.

    [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdc
    mount: No medium found
    [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    mount: No medium found
    [daniel@P024 ~]$

    When it came back with "No medium found" I wondered if I needed a disk
    in the drives, but, as the drive lights don't even flash, I'm guessing no.

    [daniel@P024 ~]$ ls -l /mnt/hdd
    total 0
    [daniel@P024 ~]$ ls -l /mnt/hdc
    total 0
    [daniel@P024 ~]$

    > Once you know whether the dvd is on /mnt/hdc or /mnt/hdd, change the
    > above from /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/hdc or /mnd/hdd.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks for sticking with me.

    Daniel

  2. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:41:16 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> urpmi now has:-
    >>
    >> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >> hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    >> with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    >> key-ids: 70771ff3
    >> removable: /dev/hdc
    >> static

    > The removable: line indicates where to look.

    What do you mean by this line, BT? To me, removable means that I can
    take it out of the computer, but, without removing several screws and
    undoing some leads....

    > If you have the dvd inserted into /dev/hdc then urpm should find it.
    >
    > Now if /dev/hdd is your dvd reader, you need to
    > change /dev/hdc
    > to /dev/hdd

    BT, having hdc refer to CDrom and hdd refer to DVD drive makes sense to
    me (logical). Can I force a change to urpmi so it goes to the DVD drive
    to look for a DVD?

    > snippet from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAG
    >
    > WAG can refer to:
    > * WAG, {Wild Ass Guess} In electronic forums

    I expect nothing but the best from you guys!!

    Tks.

    Daniel

  3. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:43:23 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:29:30 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    >> Issue the mount commands for both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use ls -l /mnt/hdc
    >> and ls -l /mnd/hdd, to figure out which one is the dvd drive.

    > [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdc
    > mount: No medium found
    > [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    > mount: No medium found
    > [daniel@P024 ~]$
    >
    > When it came back with "No medium found" I wondered if I needed a disk
    > in the drives, but, as the drive lights don't even flash, I'm guessing no.

    Try again, with the mandriva dvd in the drive.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:41:16 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >

    >> urpmi now has:-
    >>
    >> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >> hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    >> with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    >> key-ids: 70771ff3
    >> removable: /dev/hdc
    >> static
    >> }
    >> Powerpack\ DVD\ (non-free) removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/non-free {
    >> hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free).cz with_hdlist:
    >> media_info/hdlist.cz
    >> key-ids: 70771ff3
    >> removable: /dev/hdd
    >> static
    >> }
    >>
    >> Is this correct? I'm guessing not as:-
    >>

    > And you are guessing correctly. Just look at it. The problem should be
    > obvious. The DVD drive, if you only have one, can't be be both hdc and
    > hdd.

    Wes, I have a CD drive and a DVD drive. My ideal would be if the CD
    drive were at /mnt/hdc and the dvd were at /mnt/hdd. Mandriva had both
    entries above for "removable: /dev/hdc", I altered the second to "hdd",
    which is wrong, right??

    Both entries are for dvd's so they should both point to the same
    > device. /dev/hdd from what you said. Try this before you do anything else.

    O.K., if I change both entries to /hdd, would this cause urpmi to look
    for the disk in the DVD drive?? If this is the case, I could accept
    this, as a DVD drive can be derated to read a CD, but it's real hard to
    upgrade a CD drive to read a DVD.

    > Now to clean up fstab;
    >
    > Delete any entries in fstab for optical drives.
    > Go into MCC and configure them again and save it.
    > Be sure to configure both devices and give user access.
    > Now try and mount them with command line using the new fstab mount point.
    >
    > If all else fails. Re-install.:-)

    Tks.

    Daniel

  5. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:08:36 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > Wes, I have a CD drive and a DVD drive. My ideal would be if the CD
    > drive were at /mnt/hdc and the dvd were at /mnt/hdd. Mandriva had both
    > entries above for "removable: /dev/hdc", I altered the second to "hdd",
    > which is wrong, right??

    See my first response to Nyssa in this thread, for how the system decides
    which is /dev/hdc an /dev/hdd, and how to fix udev, if you move the devices.

    Both entries in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg for the installation repositories should
    point to the same device, /mnt/hdc or /mnt/hdd, whichever is the actual dvd.
    There are two entries because they point to different directories on the dvd,
    not because they point to different devices. The removable option is specified,
    so urpmi knows you should be prompted to insert the dvd, if those directories
    are not found.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:43:23 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:29:30 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    >>> Issue the mount commands for both /mnt/hdc and /mnt/hdd. Use ls -l /mnt/hdc
    >>> and ls -l /mnd/hdd, to figure out which one is the dvd drive.

    >> [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdc
    >> mount: No medium found
    >> [daniel@P024 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    >> mount: No medium found
    >> [daniel@P024 ~]$
    >>
    >> When it came back with "No medium found" I wondered if I needed a disk
    >> in the drives, but, as the drive lights don't even flash, I'm guessing no.

    > Try again, with the mandriva dvd in the drive.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    O.K., when I put the DVD in, the system came back with the "A DVD has
    been found in drive .... What do you want to do?" window. I selected "Do
    Nothing", then opened a Terminal Window, then:-

    [daniel@P011 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    [daniel@P011 ~]$
    Is this all it should do??

    Daniel

  7. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Daniel wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:41:16 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >>> urpmi now has:-
    >>>
    >>> Powerpack\ DVD removable://mnt/cdrom/i586/media/main {
    >>> hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz
    >>> with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz
    >>> key-ids: 70771ff3
    >>> removable: /dev/hdc
    >>> static

    >> The removable: line indicates where to look.

    and, now that I look at the "removable: /dev/hdc" line rather than the
    "Powerpack\ DVD removable:", I see this question I now ask is not warranted.

    > What do you mean by this line, BT? To me, removable means that I can
    > take it out of the computer, but, without removing several screws and
    > undoing some leads....
    >
    >> If you have the dvd inserted into /dev/hdc then urpm should find it.
    >>
    >> Now if /dev/hdd is your dvd reader, you need to change /dev/hdc
    >> to /dev/hdd
    >>

    > BT, having hdc refer to CDrom and hdd refer to DVD drive makes sense to
    > me (logical). Can I force a change to urpmi so it goes to the DVD drive
    > to look for a DVD?
    >
    >> snippet from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAG
    >>
    >> WAG can refer to:
    >> * WAG, {Wild Ass Guess} In electronic forums

    > I expect nothing but the best from you guys!!
    >
    > Tks.
    >
    > Daniel

  8. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:08:36 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Wes, I have a CD drive and a DVD drive. My ideal would be if the CD
    >> drive were at /mnt/hdc and the dvd were at /mnt/hdd. Mandriva had both
    >> entries above for "removable: /dev/hdc", I altered the second to "hdd",
    >> which is wrong, right??

    > See my first response to Nyssa in this thread, for how the system decides
    > which is /dev/hdc an /dev/hdd, and how to fix udev, if you move the devices.
    >
    > Both entries in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg for the installation repositories should
    > point to the same device, /mnt/hdc or /mnt/hdd, whichever is the actual dvd.
    > There are two entries because they point to different directories on the dvd,
    > not because they point to different devices. The removable option is specified,
    > so urpmi knows you should be prompted to insert the dvd, if those directories
    > are not found.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Gee, when rpm drake spat the DVD tray out for me, I was looking at
    getting back to work on the problem that exists on my Computer that I
    need the DVD for, but I've forgotten what that was (will have to check),
    but no worries about that, as rpmdrake kept asking me to insert the DVD,
    again and again and ....

    from Term window:-

    [root@P011 daniel]# rpmdrakeFatal: medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD
    (non-free).cz]
    Fatal: medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected

    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD
    (non-free).cz]

    The application 'rpmdrake' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
    most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
    the application.
    [root@P011 daniel]#

    Any ideas anyone??

    Daniel

  9. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:10:44 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Gee, when rpm drake spat the DVD tray out for me, I was looking at
    > getting back to work on the problem that exists on my Computer that I
    > need the DVD for, but I've forgotten what that was (will have to check),

    You were after the setserial rpm package.

    > but no worries about that, as rpmdrake kept asking me to insert the DVD,
    > again and again and ....

    > Any ideas anyone??

    Other than my early suggestion to mount dvd, find setserial rpm and run urpmi
    on the found package, I can not help you.

  10. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:48:00 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > O.K., when I put the DVD in, the system came back with the "A DVD has
    > been found in drive .... What do you want to do?" window. I selected "Do
    > Nothing", then opened a Terminal Window, then:-
    >
    > [daniel@P011 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    > [daniel@P011 ~]$
    > Is this all it should do??

    Yes. You can verify contents with ls or a file manager.

  11. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:10:44 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> Gee, when rpm drake spat the DVD tray out for me, I was looking at
    >> getting back to work on the problem that exists on my Computer that I
    >> need the DVD for, but I've forgotten what that was (will have to check),

    > You were after the setserial rpm package.

    That's right, and I wanted setserial so that I could get the
    modem/computer speed above 38.4 Kb! It all comes back to me.

    >> but no worries about that, as rpmdrake kept asking me to insert the DVD,
    >> again and again and ....

    >> Any ideas anyone??

    > Other than my early suggestion to mount dvd, find setserial rpm and run urpmi
    > on the found package, I can not help you.

    Am I missing something in the middle here "find setserial rpm"?? If I:-

    [root@P028 daniel]# urpmi --wget setserial --auto
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"
    medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    [root@P028 daniel]#

    Do I need to find the package first??

    Daniel

  12. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:44:47 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Other than my early suggestion to mount dvd, find setserial rpm and run urpmi
    >> on the found package, I can not help you.

    > Am I missing something in the middle here "find setserial rpm"?? If I:-

    Yes. You have a problem using urpmi to load packages from the DVD.

    > [root@P028 daniel]# urpmi --wget setserial --auto
    > unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"

    Until you can resolve that problem you are dead in the water or set up
    your mirror. :-(

    > Do I need to find the package first??

    My work around to the "retrieve pathname" problem was to
    mount dvd
    cd to wherever you mounted dvd
    use find to find setserial rpm
    then you could use urpmi to install the located setserial rpm.

  13. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:48:00 -0400, Daniel wrote:

    > O.K., when I put the DVD in, the system came back with the "A DVD has
    > been found in drive .... What do you want to do?" window. I selected "Do
    > Nothing", then opened a Terminal Window, then:-

    Good.

    > [daniel@P011 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    > [daniel@P011 ~]$
    > Is this all it should do??

    The next step is to confirm that /mnt/hdd actualy points to the dvd.
    ls -l /mnt/hdd should show the contents of the Mandriva installation dvd.

    Once you've confirmed that /mnt/hdd is the dvd, edit the file
    /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and change the entries for the two directories
    from /mnt/cdrom/... to /mnt/hdd/...

    Then you should be able to use urpmi to install packages again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  14. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:48:00 -0400, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> O.K., when I put the DVD in, the system came back with the "A DVD has
    >> been found in drive .... What do you want to do?" window. I selected "Do
    >> Nothing", then opened a Terminal Window, then:-

    > Good.
    >
    >> [daniel@P011 ~]$ mount /mnt/hdd
    >> [daniel@P011 ~]$
    >> Is this all it should do??

    > The next step is to confirm that /mnt/hdd actualy points to the dvd.
    > ls -l /mnt/hdd should show the contents of the Mandriva installation dvd.

    [daniel@P016 ~]$ ls -l /mnt/hdd
    total 65
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 i586/
    -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29009 Sep 21 2006 release-notes-fr.txt
    -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29017 Sep 21 2006 release-notes.txt
    dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 x86_64/

    > Once you've confirmed that /mnt/hdd is the dvd, edit the file
    > /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and change the entries for the two directories
    > from /mnt/cdrom/... to /mnt/hdd/...

    changed both entries in urpmi.cfg from
    removable: /dev/hdd
    removable: /mnt/hdd

    > Then you should be able to use urpmi to install packages again.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    But still no go!!

    [root@P016 daniel]# urpmi --wget setserial --auto
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"
    medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 4385, errno = 0
    [root@P016 daniel]#

    This was directly after saving the changes in Kwrite and the locating
    the urpmi command that I had previously issued in the Term Window with
    the DVD in the DVD Drive.

    When I stick the DVD disk in the DVD drive, it is auto detected and a
    screen comes up asking what I want to do? I select "Do Nothing". If I
    then issue the urpmi command above, in a Term Window, am I defeating
    myself before I start???

    Daniel

  15. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:44:47 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> Other than my early suggestion to mount dvd, find setserial rpm and run urpmi
    >>> on the found package, I can not help you.

    >> Am I missing something in the middle here "find setserial rpm"?? If I:-

    > Yes. You have a problem using urpmi to load packages from the DVD.
    >
    >> [root@P028 daniel]# urpmi --wget setserial --auto
    >> unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"

    > Until you can resolve that problem you are dead in the water or set up
    > your mirror. :-(
    >
    >> Do I need to find the package first??

    > My work around to the "retrieve pathname" problem was to
    > mount dvd
    > cd to wherever you mounted dvd
    > use find to find setserial rpm
    > then you could use urpmi to install the located setserial rpm.

    I tried!!

    [daniel@P016 ~]$ cd..
    [daniel@P016 home]$ cd..
    [daniel@P016 /]$ cd mnt
    [daniel@P016 mnt]$ cd hdd
    [daniel@P016 hdd]$ su
    Password:
    [root@P016 hdd]# urpmi --wget setserial --auto
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"
    medium "Powerpack DVD" is not selected
    [root@P016 hdd]#

    So, even though I had cd'ed to the actual DVD location and :-

    [root@P016 hdd]# ls -l /mnt/hdd
    total 65
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 i586/
    -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29009 Sep 21 2006 release-notes-fr.txt
    -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29017 Sep 21 2006 release-notes.txt
    dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 x86_64/
    [root@P016 hdd]#

    urpmi still could not find the DVD!

    It's almost time to give up, me thinks!

    Daniel

  16. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:00:32 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > So, even though I had cd'ed to the actual DVD location and :-
    >
    > [root@P016 hdd]# ls -l /mnt/hdd
    > total 65
    > dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 i586/
    > -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29009 Sep 21 2006 release-notes-fr.txt
    > -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29017 Sep 21 2006 release-notes.txt
    > dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 x86_64/

    Here try this,
    click up a terminal
    su - root

    Insert dvd into dvd reader. click Do nothing on any popup and do the following:

    mount /mnt/hdd
    cd /mnt/hdd
    find . -type f -name "*setserial*"

    Let's say something like
    ./i586/media/main/setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    is returned. Next you do a

    cd ./i586/media/main/
    urpmi ./setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm

  17. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:00:32 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> So, even though I had cd'ed to the actual DVD location and :-
    >>
    >> [root@P016 hdd]# ls -l /mnt/hdd
    >> total 65
    >> dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 i586/
    >> -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29009 Sep 21 2006 release-notes-fr.txt
    >> -r--r--r-- 37 root root 29017 Sep 21 2006 release-notes.txt
    >> dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Oct 3 2006 x86_64/

    > Here try this,
    > click up a terminal
    > su - root
    >
    > Insert dvd into dvd reader. click Do nothing on any popup and do the following:
    >
    > mount /mnt/hdd
    > cd /mnt/hdd
    > find . -type f -name "*setserial*"
    >
    > Let's say something like
    > ./i586/media/main/setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    > is returned. Next you do a
    >
    > cd ./i586/media/main/
    > urpmi ./setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm

    Thanks for replying, but:-

    [daniel@P025 ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@P025 daniel]# mount /mnt/hdd
    [root@P025 daniel]# cd /mnt/hdd
    [root@P025 hdd]# find . -type f -name "setserial"
    [root@P025 hdd]#

    After the find command, the light on the DVD Drive and the HD activity
    light each flashed a couple of times, then nothing happened.

    Was I right in thinking the * either side of the setseriel were just for
    Bold effect and not actually a required part of the command??

    Daniel

  18. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:14:03 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > [daniel@P025 ~]$ su
    > Password:
    > [root@P025 daniel]# mount /mnt/hdd
    > [root@P025 daniel]# cd /mnt/hdd
    > [root@P025 hdd]# find . -type f -name "setserial"
    > [root@P025 hdd]#
    >
    > After the find command, the light on the DVD Drive and the HD activity
    > light each flashed a couple of times, then nothing happened.

    That was /find/ hunting through the drive for the wild card selection.

    > Was I right in thinking the * either side of the setseriel were just for
    > Bold effect and not actually a required part of the command??

    No, commands were given so you could just cut from post, and paste
    into root terminal. The asterisk was a wildcard to be used on each
    side of the word. That way you might see something like
    /usr/share/vim/ftplugin/setserial.vim
    /usr/share/vim/syntax/setserial.vim
    setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm

    Note, result may be the same if there is no file on the dvd with setserial in
    it's name.

  19. Re: Part two was Re: Setting CD & DVD drive mount points

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:14:03 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> [daniel@P025 ~]$ su
    >> Password:
    >> [root@P025 daniel]# mount /mnt/hdd
    >> [root@P025 daniel]# cd /mnt/hdd
    >> [root@P025 hdd]# find . -type f -name "setserial"
    >> [root@P025 hdd]#
    >>
    >> After the find command, the light on the DVD Drive and the HD activity
    >> light each flashed a couple of times, then nothing happened.

    > That was /find/ hunting through the drive for the wild card selection.
    >

    >> Was I right in thinking the * either side of the setseriel were just for
    >> Bold effect and not actually a required part of the command??

    > No, commands were given so you could just cut from post, and paste
    > into root terminal. The asterisk was a wildcard to be used on each
    > side of the word. That way you might see something like
    > /usr/share/vim/ftplugin/setserial.vim
    > /usr/share/vim/syntax/setserial.vim
    > setserial-2.17-10mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    >

    > Note, result may be the same if there is no file on the dvd with setserial in
    > it's name.

    You star, Bt, you star....maybe....

    [root@P025 hdd]# find . -type f -name "*setserial*"
    ../i586/media/main/setserial-2.17-9mdk.i586.rpm
    ../x86_64/media/main64/setserial-2.17-9mdk.x86_64.rpm
    [root@P025 hdd]# cd ./i586/media/main/
    [root@P025 main]# urpmi ./setserial-2.17-9mdk.i586.rpm
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD"
    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free)"

    installing setserial-2.17-9mdk.i586.rpm from .
    [root@P025 main]#

    Now back to the other thread, to see if the setserial has been installed
    and has it fixed that problem.

    Will report back, either here (if the setserial wasn't really installed)
    or there (if it was)

    Progress.....maybe.

    Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2