DTV capture - Mandriva

This is a discussion on DTV capture - Mandriva ; I'm considering getting an ATSC over-the-air tuner/capture device so I can use one of my computers as a DVR or DTV. I'll need an ATSC tuner because of the transition after February 2009. Can anybody recommend one that plays well ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. DTV capture

    I'm considering getting an ATSC over-the-air tuner/capture device so I
    can use one of my computers as a DVR or DTV. I'll need an ATSC tuner
    because of the transition after February 2009. Can anybody recommend one
    that plays well with Linux? One that's available inexpensively on Ebay
    would be nice. I have PCI slots available, and one computer has USB 2.0,
    the other USB 1.0. (Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into a PCI card that
    provides USB 2.0...)

    Also, I'm sure there's more than one Mandriva program that will do the
    job - which would be best? And what speed processor (AMD) is necessary
    to make things work?

    TJ

  2. Re: DTV capture

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:43:26 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I'm considering getting an ATSC over-the-air tuner/capture device so I
    > can use one of my computers as a DVR or DTV. I'll need an ATSC tuner
    > because of the transition after February 2009. Can anybody recommend one
    > that plays well with Linux? One that's available inexpensively on Ebay
    > would be nice. I have PCI slots available, and one computer has USB 2.0,
    > the other USB 1.0. (Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into a PCI card that
    > provides USB 2.0...)

    Search ebay for air2pc. Bid $20 on the ones from seller gcc1000. I've
    purchase 3 from him. Got 6 in my dvr system. You will need to install a
    firmware file for the card. You can get it at linuxtv.org or I could email
    it to you.

    > Also, I'm sure there's more than one Mandriva program that will do the
    > job - which would be best? And what speed processor (AMD) is necessary
    > to make things work?

    I use MythTV. There's also Freevo and probably a few others which I've
    never used.
    Bare minimum would be a Duron 1600. Any K8 cpu will work. I'd suggest an
    Nvidia display adapter or 6100, 6150, 7050PV onboard video. If you have a
    Fry's close to you, the ones here have the X2 4200+ with 7050PV MB combo
    on sale for $79.xx til Tuesday. Only has VGA out, but works good with my
    HDTV. Running Mythbuntu on it.

  3. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:43:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm considering getting an ATSC over-the-air tuner/capture device so I
    >> can use one of my computers as a DVR or DTV. I'll need an ATSC tuner
    >> because of the transition after February 2009. Can anybody recommend one
    >> that plays well with Linux? One that's available inexpensively on Ebay
    >> would be nice. I have PCI slots available, and one computer has USB 2.0,
    >> the other USB 1.0. (Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into a PCI card that
    >> provides USB 2.0...)
    >>

    > Search ebay for air2pc. Bid $20 on the ones from seller gcc1000. I've
    > purchase 3 from him. Got 6 in my dvr system. You will need to install a
    > firmware file for the card. You can get it at linuxtv.org or I could email
    > it to you.
    >
    >> Also, I'm sure there's more than one Mandriva program that will do the
    >> job - which would be best? And what speed processor (AMD) is necessary
    >> to make things work?
    >>

    > I use MythTV. There's also Freevo and probably a few others which I've
    > never used.
    > Bare minimum would be a Duron 1600. Any K8 cpu will work. I'd suggest an
    > Nvidia display adapter or 6100, 6150, 7050PV onboard video. If you have a
    > Fry's close to you, the ones here have the X2 4200+ with 7050PV MB combo
    > on sale for $79.xx til Tuesday. Only has VGA out, but works good with my
    > HDTV. Running Mythbuntu on it.

    For now, I don't need HDTV. SDTV quality(480i) is just fine with me. I
    don't have a HDTV, just some nice analog TVs that will need converters
    before next Feb., so I'm used to the lower resolution. Mostly, I'm
    looking for something that I can use to record OTA shows for later
    viewing, much the way I use my VCR now. Quite frankly, I was hoping to
    get the delayed viewing capability without having to shell out the bucks
    for a new DVR. I bought one converter already just to see what I could
    receive, and all local digital channels come in just fine. You can't
    program the converters to switch channels on a time-delay like you can a
    VCR.

    My main computer has an Athlon XP1900+ processor, 512MB of PC2100 DDR
    RAM, USB 2.0 capability, and a 128MB Geforce 4 MX4000 AGP video card
    with s-video TV-out. Not so much by today's standards, but it works
    really nice with Mandriva and gets the job done.

    My secondary computer, the one I hoped I could use, was inherited from
    my brother when he passed away four years ago. A month before he died,
    he told me of his plans to buy a new computer, but he never got the
    chance. It has a Duron 800 processor, 512MB of PC133 RAM (or is that
    PC100?), USB 1.1 capability, and a 64MB Geforce 2 MX400 AGP video card
    with s-video and composite tv-out. He used it with Windows 98SE, but
    I've been using it with Mandriva 2008.0 to play video files on my
    25-inch Samsung analog TV, and it does a fine job except for when the
    aging DVD player messes up.

    I have a 160 GB portable hard drive that will work with either computer,
    though of course much slower with the slower USB.

    TJ

  4. Re: DTV capture

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:47:05 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > For now, I don't need HDTV. SDTV quality(480i) is just fine with me. I
    > don't have a HDTV, just some nice analog TVs that will need converters
    > before next Feb., so I'm used to the lower resolution. Mostly, I'm
    > looking for something that I can use to record OTA shows for later
    > viewing, much the way I use my VCR now. Quite frankly, I was hoping to
    > get the delayed viewing capability without having to shell out the bucks
    > for a new DVR. I bought one converter already just to see what I could
    > receive, and all local digital channels come in just fine. You can't
    > program the converters to switch channels on a time-delay like you can a
    > VCR.

    The Echostar TR-40 dtv converter box is supposed to have a 7 day guide and
    be able to program it to automatically change channels so you can use a
    VCR to record multiple shows.

    > My main computer has an Athlon XP1900+ processor, 512MB of PC2100 DDR
    > RAM, USB 2.0 capability, and a 128MB Geforce 4 MX4000 AGP video card
    > with s-video TV-out. Not so much by today's standards, but it works
    > really nice with Mandriva and gets the job done.

    You should be able to get by with the 1900+ with a video card that
    supports XvMC. Probably won't be fast enough for full HD mpeg2 decoding
    unless you can overclock it.

    > My secondary computer, the one I hoped I could use, was inherited from
    > my brother when he passed away four years ago. A month before he died,
    > he told me of his plans to buy a new computer, but he never got the
    > chance. It has a Duron 800 processor, 512MB of PC133 RAM (or is that
    > PC100?), USB 1.1 capability, and a 64MB Geforce 2 MX400 AGP video card
    > with s-video and composite tv-out. He used it with Windows 98SE, but
    > I've been using it with Mandriva 2008.0 to play video files on my
    > 25-inch Samsung analog TV, and it does a fine job except for when the
    > aging DVD player messes up.

    You'd definitely have to replace the CPU in this one to playback HD. And
    if it has a FSB limited to 100MHz, that will really present a problem.

    Even though you'll be watching these in SD, the recordings will be in HD
    and they have to be decoded for playback. That's what takes the power, and
    the HDD space. 1 hour of 1080i astc HD takes about 7GB of drive space.

  5. Re: DTV capture

    on Sunday 16 March 2008 06:47
    TJ wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:43:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm considering getting an ATSC over-the-air tuner/capture device so I
    >>> can use one of my computers as a DVR or DTV. I'll need an ATSC tuner
    >>> because of the transition after February 2009. Can anybody recommend one
    >>> that plays well with Linux?

    Prowl around linuxtv.org

    >>> One that's available inexpensively on Ebay
    >>> would be nice. I have PCI slots available, and one computer has USB 2.0,
    >>> the other USB 1.0. (Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into a PCI card that
    >>> provides USB 2.0...)
    >>>

    >> Search ebay for air2pc. Bid $20 on the ones from seller gcc1000. I've
    >> purchase 3 from him. Got 6 in my dvr system. You will need to install a
    >> firmware file for the card. You can get it at linuxtv.org or I could
    >> email it to you.
    >>
    >>> Also, I'm sure there's more than one Mandriva program that will do the
    >>> job - which would be best? And what speed processor (AMD) is necessary
    >>> to make things work?
    >>>

    >> I use MythTV. There's also Freevo and probably a few others which I've
    >> never used.
    >> Bare minimum would be a Duron 1600. Any K8 cpu will work. I'd suggest an
    >> Nvidia display adapter or 6100, 6150, 7050PV onboard video. If you have a
    >> Fry's close to you, the ones here have the X2 4200+ with 7050PV MB combo
    >> on sale for $79.xx til Tuesday. Only has VGA out, but works good with my
    >> HDTV. Running Mythbuntu on it.
    >>

    > For now, I don't need HDTV. SDTV quality(480i) is just fine with me. I
    > don't have a HDTV, just some nice analog TVs that will need converters
    > before next Feb., so I'm used to the lower resolution.

    Depending on where you live, it is possible that different programs
    are transmitted on the SD and HD channels at the same time, so if you
    want to see all available programs you will need a HD decoder even if
    you only view the result in SD. Luckily I think that you will find
    most tuners can handle both.

    > Mostly, I'm
    > looking for something that I can use to record OTA shows for later
    > viewing, much the way I use my VCR now.

    There are many choices, currently I'm using Kaffeine.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  6. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:47:05 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> For now, I don't need HDTV. SDTV quality(480i) is just fine with me. I
    >> don't have a HDTV, just some nice analog TVs that will need converters
    >> before next Feb., so I'm used to the lower resolution. Mostly, I'm
    >> looking for something that I can use to record OTA shows for later
    >> viewing, much the way I use my VCR now. Quite frankly, I was hoping to
    >> get the delayed viewing capability without having to shell out the bucks
    >> for a new DVR. I bought one converter already just to see what I could
    >> receive, and all local digital channels come in just fine. You can't
    >> program the converters to switch channels on a time-delay like you can a
    >> VCR.
    >>

    > The Echostar TR-40 dtv converter box is supposed to have a 7 day guide and
    > be able to program it to automatically change channels so you can use a
    > VCR to record multiple shows.
    >
    >> My main computer has an Athlon XP1900+ processor, 512MB of PC2100 DDR
    >> RAM, USB 2.0 capability, and a 128MB Geforce 4 MX4000 AGP video card
    >> with s-video TV-out. Not so much by today's standards, but it works
    >> really nice with Mandriva and gets the job done.
    >>

    > You should be able to get by with the 1900+ with a video card that
    > supports XvMC. Probably won't be fast enough for full HD mpeg2 decoding
    > unless you can overclock it.
    >
    >> My secondary computer, the one I hoped I could use, was inherited from
    >> my brother when he passed away four years ago. A month before he died,
    >> he told me of his plans to buy a new computer, but he never got the
    >> chance. It has a Duron 800 processor, 512MB of PC133 RAM (or is that
    >> PC100?), USB 1.1 capability, and a 64MB Geforce 2 MX400 AGP video card
    >> with s-video and composite tv-out. He used it with Windows 98SE, but
    >> I've been using it with Mandriva 2008.0 to play video files on my
    >> 25-inch Samsung analog TV, and it does a fine job except for when the
    >> aging DVD player messes up.
    >>

    > You'd definitely have to replace the CPU in this one to playback HD. And
    > if it has a FSB limited to 100MHz, that will really present a problem.
    >
    > Even though you'll be watching these in SD, the recordings will be in HD
    > and they have to be decoded for playback. That's what takes the power, and
    > the HDD space. 1 hour of 1080i astc HD takes about 7GB of drive space.

    Good to know on the Echostar converter. That one is supposed to be the
    cheapest one, too. That'll be nice. The one I bought for a trial was the
    Magnavox they sell at Wal-mart, though I bought it on Ebay. It's ok, I
    suppose, but I don't care for the feel of the remote and I'd like to
    have it control the TV on/off and volume, too.

    Well, perhaps I can capture the files with the slower computer, transfer
    them to the portable HD and play them back with the faster one. Also,
    maybe I will have to limit this to the higher-numbered subchannels,
    which in my area are in 480i, I believe. We'll see.

    TJ

  7. Re: DTV capture

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:12:35 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Well, perhaps I can capture the files with the slower computer, transfer
    > them to the portable HD and play them back with the faster one. Also,
    > maybe I will have to limit this to the higher-numbered subchannels,
    > which in my area are in 480i, I believe. We'll see.

    MythTv is a client server based system. You could use the old machine as
    the backend server and your newer machine as the client to watch the
    programs on. That's how it's designed. Just recording atsc hd programs
    requires very little cpu power as the stream is just written to disk. It's
    very versatile. I started with one machine with 4 HDTV tuners running both
    the backend and frontend. I then added 2 frontend only machines to TV's.
    Now I have all machines running a backend server (master and 2 slaves) and
    1 HDTV tuner in each of the slave machines for 6 tuners. To each user, it
    looks like just 1 recorder with 6 tuners. Each user can use any of the
    resources. They can use a tuner on any (running) machine. They can watch a
    recording recorded with any machine, etc., etc. Now I just did this for
    the hell of it. Normally, you'd just have one backend server, and other
    machines just running the frontend software. And you can run the fontend
    off cd if you want to, not screwing with you hdd. I think there's a mac
    and windows frontend client also, but I don't use either OS. I don't have
    a clue about the other dvr softwares available, and there are lots of free
    software for dvr's both in linux and windows. Here's a list of those
    supported by Schedules Direct. Take your pick and research it.

    http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

  8. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > MythTv is a client server based system. You could use the old machine as
    > the backend server and your newer machine as the client to watch the
    > programs on. That's how it's designed. Just recording atsc hd programs
    > requires very little cpu power as the stream is just written to disk. It's
    > very versatile. I started with one machine with 4 HDTV tuners running both
    > the backend and frontend. I then added 2 frontend only machines to TV's.
    > Now I have all machines running a backend server (master and 2 slaves) and
    > 1 HDTV tuner in each of the slave machines for 6 tuners. To each user, it
    > looks like just 1 recorder with 6 tuners. Each user can use any of the
    > resources. They can use a tuner on any (running) machine. They can watch a
    > recording recorded with any machine, etc., etc. Now I just did this for
    > the hell of it. Normally, you'd just have one backend server, and other
    > machines just running the frontend software. And you can run the fontend
    > off cd if you want to, not screwing with you hdd. I think there's a mac
    > and windows frontend client also, but I don't use either OS. I don't have
    > a clue about the other dvr softwares available, and there are lots of free
    > software for dvr's both in linux and windows. Here's a list of those
    > supported by Schedules Direct. Take your pick and research it.
    >
    > http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

    The old machine has but two internal drives, a 20G and an 8.4. With the
    USB 2.0 card I just bought on Ebay ($5) I should be able to save
    directly to the 160GB external drive with no trouble. And for what
    little I'll be doing, it's easier to just unplug the USB cable from one
    computer, swing my chair 90 degrees, and plug it into the other than it
    would be to set up a network, since that's something I haven't tried
    yet, either. Maybe once I get into it a little more I'll do something
    more, but not for now.

    You don't HAVE to use a scheduling service, do you? I mean, can't I do
    like I do now with my VCRs - look up the schedule in the newspaper or
    online listings, then tell the recorder to record from thus and such a
    time until thus and such a time on channel X, followed by another hour
    or two on channel Y? All I want is the ability to record a program I
    can't watch when it's broadcast, or one that's broadcast the same time
    as another I want to watch.

    TJ

  9. Re: DTV capture

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:12:28 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > The old machine has but two internal drives, a 20G and an 8.4. With the
    > USB 2.0 card I just bought on Ebay ($5) I should be able to save
    > directly to the 160GB external drive with no trouble. And for what
    > little I'll be doing, it's easier to just unplug the USB cable from one
    > computer, swing my chair 90 degrees, and plug it into the other than it
    > would be to set up a network, since that's something I haven't tried
    > yet, either. Maybe once I get into it a little more I'll do something
    > more, but not for now.

    DVR's don't like it when you remove their storage drive. And you really
    don't want to do it this way. You won't have to setup a network (other
    than have the two machines connected to each other or to a switch or
    router. Mythtv will handle all that for you. Now if you don't have a lan
    connection in one of the machines that would cause a problem.:-)
    Persomally, I wouldn't use that small USB drive as the main storage
    location. Not when you can get a new 500GB drive for under $90.

    > You don't HAVE to use a scheduling service, do you? I mean, can't I do
    > like I do now with my VCRs - look up the schedule in the newspaper or
    > online listings, then tell the recorder to record from thus and such a
    > time until thus and such a time on channel X, followed by another hour
    > or two on channel Y? All I want is the ability to record a program I
    > can't watch when it's broadcast, or one that's broadcast the same time
    > as another I want to watch.

    No. You don't have to use a scheduling service, but it's so cheap at $20 a
    year I think it's worth it. You can use EIT, the OTA psip guide data that
    every dtv station is supposed to broadcast, but I'm not sure how far in
    the future the data goes. Maybe 24 hours, maybe more maybe less. I tested
    it once a while back and at the time I got data from some stations and not
    others. By now I would think most have it set up. Either way, you can
    still select recordings the same way, or you can always use manual
    recordings if you want to. It's very versatile down to 1 minute
    increments, but other than test it, I've never had a need to use it. But
    it's there if you want to use it.

  10. Re: DTV capture

    TJ wrote:

    > it was plenty high enough. I also have the same problems with the higher
    > costs of fuel, property taxes, health insurance, etc. that everybody
    > else has.

    Those of you who live in more enlightened countries than I do, please
    forgive me. I should have said, "...that everybody else in the US has."

    TJ

  11. Re: DTV capture

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:27:53 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > The computers are both connected to a router. If MythTV and Mandriva
    > will take care of the communication between them, I'll be fine.

    The one thing I'd recommend (although not required) is to change the lan
    IP's to static. Other than that all you need to know is the ip address of
    each machine. If you are going to install mythtv on mandriva on both
    machines, then you just need to install mysgl and mythbackend on the older
    machine, and only the mythfrontend to the one you're going to use for
    watching. FWIW, a computer monitor makes a very good HDTV display if the
    size is large enough. I used a cheap 19" for a couple of years in the
    bedroom. Fonaaly replaced it with a real HDTV and I'm not sure if it was
    an improvement or not, other than a lager size and wide screen.

  12. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:27:53 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> The computers are both connected to a router. If MythTV and Mandriva
    >> will take care of the communication between them, I'll be fine.

    > The one thing I'd recommend (although not required) is to change the lan
    > IP's to static. Other than that all you need to know is the ip address of
    > each machine. If you are going to install mythtv on mandriva on both
    > machines, then you just need to install mysgl and mythbackend on the older
    > machine, and only the mythfrontend to the one you're going to use for
    > watching. FWIW, a computer monitor makes a very good HDTV display if the
    > size is large enough. I used a cheap 19" for a couple of years in the
    > bedroom. Fonaaly replaced it with a real HDTV and I'm not sure if it was
    > an improvement or not, other than a lager size and wide screen.

    I'm sitting in front of a 20" Hitachi CRT. It's a huge monstrosity,
    probably from the late 90's, but it works well. My nephew keeps telling
    me I'm going to get radiation burns from it someday. I know it does a
    good job displaying the wide-screen commercial DVDs I have, when I play
    them with either Kaffeine or VLC. Of course, ordinary DVDs aren't HDTV.
    The addition of the 128 MB Geforce MX4000 card improved the display some
    over the mobo graphics, but not so much that it took long to get used to
    them.

    That brings up something else I've been wondering about. This card has
    an s-video TV-out port. Currently, I'm using the Nvidia proprietary
    drivers, and I haven't used the TV port other than to try it out to see
    if it worked. Would I benefit from installing the nvtv package? And how
    about the 64MB Geforce 2 MX400 in the older machine? I often run a 25"
    Samsung TV from that one.

    TJ

  13. Re: DTV capture

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:08:58 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > That brings up something else I've been wondering about. This card has
    > an s-video TV-out port. Currently, I'm using the Nvidia proprietary
    > drivers, and I haven't used the TV port other than to try it out to see
    > if it worked. Would I benefit from installing the nvtv package? And how
    > about the 64MB Geforce 2 MX400 in the older machine? I often run a 25"
    > Samsung TV from that one.

    I'm familiar with the nvtv package. Just sounds like another media player
    from the real short definition I just read. How many media players does
    one need? As for your video cards, all I can say is try them. You really
    need a card that supports XvMC with the CPU's you have. An FX5200 is an
    excellent choice and very cheap. They should work with what you have, but
    the old duron 800 machine is definitely not going to be fast enough for
    1080i decoding. It would probably work for decoding digital SD stations
    though. Your 1900+ is going to be pushed hard to decode 1080i unless you
    have a video card capable of XvMC. If it's an old Palomino core (defaults
    to 1.75v) there's not much more you can get out of it by overclocking, but
    if it's a newer Thoroughbred core, it's capable of much faster speeds
    (over 2GHz) than the default 1600Mhz (12x133). Settings it to 12x166 and
    setting vcore at 1.65v would give you 2GHz if your MB is capable of a
    166MHz FSB. That would solve a lot of problems you might encounter using
    the default speed.

  14. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:08:58 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >

    > I'm familiar with the nvtv package. Just sounds like another media player
    > from the real short definition I just read. How many media players does
    > one need? As for your video cards, all I can say is try them. You really
    > need a card that supports XvMC with the CPU's you have. An FX5200 is an
    > excellent choice and very cheap. They should work with what you have, but
    > the old duron 800 machine is definitely not going to be fast enough for
    > 1080i decoding. It would probably work for decoding digital SD stations
    > though. Your 1900+ is going to be pushed hard to decode 1080i unless you
    > have a video card capable of XvMC. If it's an old Palomino core (defaults
    > to 1.75v) there's not much more you can get out of it by overclocking, but
    > if it's a newer Thoroughbred core, it's capable of much faster speeds
    > (over 2GHz) than the default 1600Mhz (12x133). Settings it to 12x166 and
    > setting vcore at 1.65v would give you 2GHz if your MB is capable of a
    > 166MHz FSB. That would solve a lot of problems you might encounter using
    > the default speed.

    The 1900+ machine was built in October 2003. Biostar MB, M7VIG Pro-D,
    FSB of 200/266MHz, VIA KM266/VT8235 chipsets, PC2100 DDR RAM.
    Custom-built by a tiny online company that has since gone out of
    business. They called it one of their "entry-level" machines. The Athlon
    XP processor was the second-level option for this model. The MB can use
    up to a 2600+(Socket A), according to the specs. I paid just under $300
    for it with a 40GB HDD and 256MB of RAM, but I bought it without an OS
    and used my own optical drives, speakers, and monitor. Shortly afterward
    I added an additional 256MB RAM module and an 80 GB HDD that CompUSA was
    practically giving away after rebate. I've replaced the original 400
    watt PS with a 500 from NewEgg a year and a half ago, and added a LG 18x
    DVD burner eight months ago or so when Mandriva didn't issue a CD
    version of 2007 Spring. The MB CD has a PDF detailing how to overclock
    it, but I stayed away from that on the theory that it would shorten the
    life of the processor and I didn't really need it overclocked for the
    stuff I was doing. Until now.

    TJ

  15. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:08:58 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >

    > I'm familiar with the nvtv package. Just sounds like another media player
    > from the real short definition I just read. How many media players does
    > one need? As for your video cards, all I can say is try them. You really
    > need a card that supports XvMC with the CPU's you have. An FX5200 is an
    > excellent choice and very cheap. They should work with what you have, but
    > the old duron 800 machine is definitely not going to be fast enough for
    > 1080i decoding. It would probably work for decoding digital SD stations
    > though. Your 1900+ is going to be pushed hard to decode 1080i unless you
    > have a video card capable of XvMC. If it's an old Palomino core (defaults
    > to 1.75v) there's not much more you can get out of it by overclocking, but
    > if it's a newer Thoroughbred core, it's capable of much faster speeds
    > (over 2GHz) than the default 1600Mhz (12x133). Settings it to 12x166 and
    > setting vcore at 1.65v would give you 2GHz if your MB is capable of a
    > 166MHz FSB. That would solve a lot of problems you might encounter using
    > the default speed.

    I just did some trials, and I can over clock a little, but not much. The
    MB can be set to 166, but something fails at that speed. Best I can move
    it up to seems to be about 138, which puts the processor at something
    like 1660 MHz. So, I guess I must have one of the older processors. It's
    beginning to look like I need to file all this stuff away for future
    reference. The time will come when I'll want to upgrade, so maybe then
    I'll have something up to the task. For now, there are other, no doubt
    better ways to achieve my goal, which is to still be able to watch and
    record OTA TV by this time next year.

    TJ

  16. Re: DTV capture

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:55:24 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > The 1900+ machine was built in October 2003. Biostar MB, M7VIG Pro-D,
    > FSB of 200/266MHz, VIA KM266/VT8235 chipsets, PC2100 DDR RAM.
    > Custom-built by a tiny online company that has since gone out of
    > business. They called it one of their "entry-level" machines. The Athlon
    > XP processor was the second-level option for this model. The MB can use
    > up to a 2600+(Socket A), according to the specs. I paid just under $300
    > for it with a 40GB HDD and 256MB of RAM, but I bought it without an OS
    > and used my own optical drives, speakers, and monitor. Shortly afterward
    > I added an additional 256MB RAM module and an 80 GB HDD that CompUSA was
    > practically giving away after rebate. I've replaced the original 400
    > watt PS with a 500 from NewEgg a year and a half ago, and added a LG 18x
    > DVD burner eight months ago or so when Mandriva didn't issue a CD
    > version of 2007 Spring. The MB CD has a PDF detailing how to overclock
    > it, but I stayed away from that on the theory that it would shorten the
    > life of the processor and I didn't really need it overclocked for the
    > stuff I was doing. Until now.

    Ok that MB won't support a 166MHz FSB, so now you need to concentrate on
    the model of the CPU. With a little luck you got an unlocked Tbred core.
    There's several ways to tell what you have. You can eliminate an old
    Palomino core by looking at what the default cpu vcore voltage is. The
    palomino is always 1.75v. The Tbred B cores or always 1.65v or less
    depending on model number. So if you check you vocore and it's 1.75v at
    default, you can forget any major overclocking. if it's less, there's
    still hope. Hopefully it's a Tbred B core and not A. Heck, just remembered
    this is a Linux group. Post the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo. That will
    show what you have if you know how to read the codes. And I do.:-)
    Example from my old 2001 system:

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Unknown CPU Type
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 2400.188
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
    bogomips : 4784.12

  17. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:55:24 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> The 1900+ machine was built in October 2003. Biostar MB, M7VIG Pro-D,
    >> FSB of 200/266MHz, VIA KM266/VT8235 chipsets, PC2100 DDR RAM.
    >> Custom-built by a tiny online company that has since gone out of
    >> business. They called it one of their "entry-level" machines. The Athlon
    >> XP processor was the second-level option for this model. The MB can use
    >> up to a 2600+(Socket A), according to the specs. I paid just under $300
    >> for it with a 40GB HDD and 256MB of RAM, but I bought it without an OS
    >> and used my own optical drives, speakers, and monitor. Shortly afterward
    >> I added an additional 256MB RAM module and an 80 GB HDD that CompUSA was
    >> practically giving away after rebate. I've replaced the original 400
    >> watt PS with a 500 from NewEgg a year and a half ago, and added a LG 18x
    >> DVD burner eight months ago or so when Mandriva didn't issue a CD
    >> version of 2007 Spring. The MB CD has a PDF detailing how to overclock
    >> it, but I stayed away from that on the theory that it would shorten the
    >> life of the processor and I didn't really need it overclocked for the
    >> stuff I was doing. Until now.

    > Ok that MB won't support a 166MHz FSB, so now you need to concentrate on
    > the model of the CPU. With a little luck you got an unlocked Tbred core.
    > There's several ways to tell what you have. You can eliminate an old
    > Palomino core by looking at what the default cpu vcore voltage is. The
    > palomino is always 1.75v. The Tbred B cores or always 1.65v or less
    > depending on model number. So if you check you vocore and it's 1.75v at
    > default, you can forget any major overclocking. if it's less, there's
    > still hope. Hopefully it's a Tbred B core and not A. Heck, just remembered
    > this is a Linux group. Post the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo. That will
    > show what you have if you know how to read the codes. And I do.:-)

    OK, here's mineFor some reason, Thunderbird won't let me paste this as
    other than a quotation.)

    > processor : 0
    > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    > cpu family : 6
    > model : 6
    > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+
    > stepping : 2
    > cpu MHz : 1598.736
    > cache size : 256 KB
    > fdiv_bug : no
    > hlt_bug : no
    > f00f_bug : no
    > coma_bug : no
    > fpu : yes
    > fpu_exception : yes
    > cpuid level : 1
    > wp : yes
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
    > bogomips : 3199.35
    > clflush size : 32

    TJ

  18. Re: DTV capture

    TJ wrote:
    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:55:24 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> The 1900+ machine was built in October 2003. Biostar MB, M7VIG Pro-D,
    >>> FSB of 200/266MHz, VIA KM266/VT8235 chipsets, PC2100 DDR RAM.
    >>> Custom-built by a tiny online company that has since gone out of
    >>> business. They called it one of their "entry-level" machines. The Athlon
    >>> XP processor was the second-level option for this model. The MB can use
    >>> up to a 2600+(Socket A), according to the specs. I paid just under $300
    >>> for it with a 40GB HDD and 256MB of RAM, but I bought it without an OS
    >>> and used my own optical drives, speakers, and monitor. Shortly afterward
    >>> I added an additional 256MB RAM module and an 80 GB HDD that CompUSA was
    >>> practically giving away after rebate. I've replaced the original 400
    >>> watt PS with a 500 from NewEgg a year and a half ago, and added a LG 18x
    >>> DVD burner eight months ago or so when Mandriva didn't issue a CD
    >>> version of 2007 Spring. The MB CD has a PDF detailing how to overclock
    >>> it, but I stayed away from that on the theory that it would shorten the
    >>> life of the processor and I didn't really need it overclocked for the
    >>> stuff I was doing. Until now.

    >> Ok that MB won't support a 166MHz FSB, so now you need to concentrate
    >> on the model of the CPU. With a little luck you got an unlocked Tbred
    >> core. There's several ways to tell what you have. You can eliminate an
    >> old Palomino core by looking at what the default cpu vcore voltage is.
    >> The palomino is always 1.75v. The Tbred B cores or always 1.65v or
    >> less depending on model number. So if you check you vocore and it's
    >> 1.75v at default, you can forget any major overclocking. if it's less,
    >> there's still hope. Hopefully it's a Tbred B core and not A. Heck,
    >> just remembered this is a Linux group. Post the output of cat
    >> /proc/cpuinfo. That will show what you have if you know how to read
    >> the codes. And I do.:-)

    > OK, here's mineFor some reason, Thunderbird won't let me paste this as
    > other than a quotation.)
    >
    >> processor : 0
    >> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    >> cpu family : 6
    >> model : 6
    >> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+
    >> stepping : 2
    >> cpu MHz : 1598.736
    >> cache size : 256 KB
    >> fdiv_bug : no
    >> hlt_bug : no
    >> f00f_bug : no
    >> coma_bug : no
    >> fpu : yes
    >> fpu_exception : yes
    >> cpuid level : 1
    >> wp : yes
    >> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    >> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
    >> bogomips : 3199.35
    >> clflush size : 32
    >>

    > TJ

    When I access the BIOS setup, there is a section named "PC Health" and
    in there there's a report on what they call "CPU Voltage." I watched it
    for a minute or two, and it varied between 1.68 and 1.71, spending most
    of its time at 1.71.

    TJ

  19. Re: DTV capture

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:14:38 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > OK, here's mineFor some reason, Thunderbird won't let me paste this as
    > other than a quotation.)
    >
    >> processor : 0
    >> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    >> cpu family : 6
    >> model : 6
    >> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+ stepping : 2
    >> cpu MHz : 1598.736
    >> cache size : 256 KB
    >> fdiv_bug : no
    >> hlt_bug : no
    >> f00f_bug : no
    >> coma_bug : no
    >> fpu : yes
    >> fpu_exception : yes
    >> cpuid level : 1
    >> wp : yes
    >> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    >> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
    >> bogomips : 3199.35
    >> clflush size : 32

    Sadly, that's a Palomino core, as designated by the cpu family, model, and
    stepping (662). Tbred B core is 681.

  20. Re: DTV capture

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:04:38 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > When I access the BIOS setup, there is a section named "PC Health" and
    > in there there's a report on what they call "CPU Voltage." I watched it
    > for a minute or two, and it varied between 1.68 and 1.71, spending most
    > of its time at 1.71.

    That's low. It should be close to 1.75v, but it probably won't hurt
    anything. Might take a look at the actual settings for vcore and see what
    it's set to. Someone may have set it to 1.70v on purpose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast