DTV capture - Mandriva

This is a discussion on DTV capture - Mandriva ; Wes Newell wrote: > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:04:38 -0400, TJ wrote: > >> When I access the BIOS setup, there is a section named "PC Health" and >> in there there's a report on what they call "CPU ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:04:38 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> When I access the BIOS setup, there is a section named "PC Health" and
    >> in there there's a report on what they call "CPU Voltage." I watched it
    >> for a minute or two, and it varied between 1.68 and 1.71, spending most
    >> of its time at 1.71.

    > That's low. It should be close to 1.75v, but it probably won't hurt
    > anything. Might take a look at the actual settings for vcore and see what
    > it's set to. Someone may have set it to 1.70v on purpose.

    I don't know how to set that with this board. Please bear in mind as we
    continue this discussion that the documentation I have is sketchy, and
    the knowledge I have in this area is even sketchier. In many cases, I
    know just enough to get me into BIG trouble, but not enough to get out
    again.

    The docs for setting the BIOS indicate the "Frequency Control" submenu
    is where vcore and the CPU/PCI clock can be changed, but they don't say
    how and print boldface warnings of dire consequences should you use
    anything but the defaults. This submenu has nothing that obviously says
    it's for setting vcore. There are three menu items, "Auto-Detect
    PCI/DIMM Clk," which is set to enabled, "Spread Spectrum," which lists
    several percentages varying from +/-0.25 (default) to something like
    -1.75 and "disabled." The third option is "CPU Host/PCI Clock," and
    there are four settings in there, 133/66/33 MHz, 140/70/35 MHz,
    166/66/33 MHz, and "Default." No explanation anywhere of what "Default" is.

    That's it. Now, those options would seem to indicate that the MB was
    designed to be overclocked, that it can be set to a higher CPU clock
    speed than the published specs. I tried setting the clock speed to the
    166 setting, and it wouldn't boot. I had to use the fail-safe
    press-insert-while-pressing-power to get things back to where they
    belonged. ( Reminds me of pressing "Option" to boot the Atari
    8-bit with BASIC disabled.) That doesn't surprise me, after your notice
    that my CPU can't be overclocked very much.

    Athlon XP CPUs that have been pulled from other machines abound on Ebay.
    Perhaps I should look into purchasing one if I see a deal good enough
    for me. Do you think one designed for a 166 MHz FSB might work? Those
    seem to be more common.

    TJ

  2. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:14:38 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> OK, here's mineFor some reason, Thunderbird won't let me paste this as
    >> other than a quotation.)
    >>
    >>> processor : 0
    >>> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    >>> cpu family : 6
    >>> model : 6
    >>> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+ stepping : 2
    >>> cpu MHz : 1598.736
    >>> cache size : 256 KB
    >>> fdiv_bug : no
    >>> hlt_bug : no
    >>> f00f_bug : no
    >>> coma_bug : no
    >>> fpu : yes
    >>> fpu_exception : yes
    >>> cpuid level : 1
    >>> wp : yes
    >>> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    >>> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
    >>> bogomips : 3199.35
    >>> clflush size : 32
    >>>

    > Sadly, that's a Palomino core, as designated by the cpu family, model, and
    > stepping (662). Tbred B core is 681.

    What can you tell me about mine? Or better yet, teach me to fish!
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 44
    model name : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1799.891
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
    lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
    bogomips : 3604.24

  3. Re: DTV capture

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:53:30 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:04:38 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I access the BIOS setup, there is a section named "PC Health" and
    >>> in there there's a report on what they call "CPU Voltage." I watched
    >>> it for a minute or two, and it varied between 1.68 and 1.71, spending
    >>> most of its time at 1.71.

    >> That's low. It should be close to 1.75v, but it probably won't hurt
    >> anything. Might take a look at the actual settings for vcore and see
    >> what it's set to. Someone may have set it to 1.70v on purpose.
    >>

    > The docs for setting the BIOS indicate the "Frequency Control" submenu
    > is where vcore and the CPU/PCI clock can be changed, but they don't say
    > how and print boldface warnings of dire consequences should you use
    > anything but the defaults. This submenu has nothing that obviously says
    > it's for setting vcore. There are three menu items, "Auto-Detect
    > PCI/DIMM Clk," which is set to enabled, "Spread Spectrum," which lists
    > several percentages varying from +/-0.25 (default) to something like
    > -1.75 and "disabled." The third option is "CPU Host/PCI Clock," and
    > there are four settings in there, 133/66/33 MHz, 140/70/35 MHz,
    > 166/66/33 MHz, and "Default." No explanation anywhere of what "Default"
    > is.

    I downloaded the manual and read about cpu voltage control being on the
    Frequency control menu, but they didn't show any of the extra settings.
    Might try Crtl-F1 on that page. Sometimes that brings up additional
    settings. Or you may have an old bios without any vcore control. Don't
    worry about it too much. I also couldn't find a way to change the cpu
    multiplier either in the bios or via MB jumpers, so it's not really an
    overclocking board. And I doubt if the 166/66/33 setting even works since
    they don't list any 166MHz FSB cpus as being compatible.

    > Athlon XP CPUs that have been pulled from other machines abound on Ebay.
    > Perhaps I should look into purchasing one if I see a deal good enough
    > for me. Do you think one designed for a 166 MHz FSB might work? Those
    > seem to be more common.

    I'm pretty sure the FSB isn't going to work at 166, so about your only
    option would be to use the standard 133MHz FSB. That means you'd need a
    cpu with a high multiplier and since this board doesn't support multiplier
    control, you have to do that manually with the cpu bridges. And although
    I've done this before, it's real pita and I wouldn't do it today. Also
    note your AGP slot is AGP 1. To be honest I don't think your cpu/video
    will cut it for non-XvMC HD. So without upgrading, I'm afraid you won't be
    able to watch 1080i HD. If you can find a cheap 2400+ it should work ok,
    or maybe even a Duron 1800 clocked at 140. I wouldn't spend more than $20
    on any K7 cpu though.

  4. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:53:30 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Athlon XP CPUs that have been pulled from other machines abound on Ebay.
    >> Perhaps I should look into purchasing one if I see a deal good enough
    >> for me. Do you think one designed for a 166 MHz FSB might work? Those
    >> seem to be more common.
    >>

    > I'm pretty sure the FSB isn't going to work at 166, so about your only
    > option would be to use the standard 133MHz FSB. That means you'd need a
    > cpu with a high multiplier and since this board doesn't support multiplier
    > control, you have to do that manually with the cpu bridges. And although
    > I've done this before, it's real pita and I wouldn't do it today. Also
    > note your AGP slot is AGP 1. To be honest I don't think your cpu/video
    > will cut it for non-XvMC HD. So without upgrading, I'm afraid you won't be
    > able to watch 1080i HD. If you can find a cheap 2400+ it should work ok,
    > or maybe even a Duron 1800 clocked at 140. I wouldn't spend more than $20
    > on any K7 cpu though.

    Now you have me confused again. According to the book supplied with the
    board, the AGP slot supports 1x, 2x, and 4x. My research says that means
    AGP 2.0, as 1.0 doesn't support 4x. The slot is labeled AGP1, but I
    believe that just means it's the first slot, like the PCI slots are
    labeled PCI1, PCI2, and PCI3. The card I have installed is supposed to
    be compatible with AGP 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0, though I don't suppose the 8x
    function will operate if the MB doesn't support it.

    Yeah, I see plenty of 133 FSB CPUs, but there's almost always a catch on
    the cheap ones. One guy offers a buy-one-get-one deal and says he'll
    refund all but shipping if both are DOA, but when you look at his
    feedback, most ARE DOA. Not for me. Sounds like a project for Fall, when
    I know what kind of season I've had. Perhaps I'll look into a better
    MB/CPU combo and put this one in the old machine's case. But, that would
    probably require buying RAM as an extra, too. It's always something.

    Heinlein said it best in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - TANSTAAFL.
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

    TJ

  5. Re: DTV capture

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:03:00 -0500, user wrote:

    > What can you tell me about mine? Or better yet, teach me to fish!
    > processor : 0
    > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    > cpu family : 15
    > model : 44
    > model name : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown stepping
    > : 2
    > cpu MHz : 1799.891
    > cache size : 128 KB
    > fdiv_bug : no
    > hlt_bug : no
    > f00f_bug : no
    > coma_bug : no
    > fpu : yes
    > fpu_exception : yes
    > cpuid level : 1
    > wp : yes
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
    > lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc bogomips :
    > 3604.24

    The cpu family, model, and stepping is different on different cores. I had
    the K7 cpu cores memorized because they changed so much on the K7's that
    it took certain cores in certain boards for desired results. That's really
    not the case for the K8 cpu's so I didn't memorize them. AFAIK, all are
    family 15 (0F). That 44 (2C) I can't find, but it's obvious that you need
    a bios upgrade to recognize your Sempron. Maybe you can find it in
    the AMD guide below.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/25759.pdf

  6. Re: DTV capture

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:54:05 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Now you have me confused again. According to the book supplied with the
    > board, the AGP slot supports 1x, 2x, and 4x. My research says that means
    > AGP 2.0, as 1.0 doesn't support 4x. The slot is labeled AGP1, but I
    > believe that just means it's the first slot, like the PCI slots are
    > labeled PCI1, PCI2, and PCI3. The card I have installed is supposed to
    > be compatible with AGP 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0, though I don't suppose the 8x
    > function will operate if the MB doesn't support it.

    Yep I misread the AGP1 to be AGP 1.0 spec. You should still check to make
    sure any new card you buy will work in it though.

    > Yeah, I see plenty of 133 FSB CPUs, but there's almost always a catch on
    > the cheap ones. One guy offers a buy-one-get-one deal and says he'll
    > refund all but shipping if both are DOA, but when you look at his
    > feedback, most ARE DOA. Not for me. Sounds like a project for Fall, when
    > I know what kind of season I've had. Perhaps I'll look into a better
    > MB/CPU combo and put this one in the old machine's case. But, that would
    > probably require buying RAM as an extra, too. It's always something.

    Setting your FSB to 140 with a Duron 1800 should work ok too, but it might
    be better to wait til you've got $100 for a new MB/CPU/Ram combo.

  7. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > Setting your FSB to 140 with a Duron 1800 should work ok too, but it might
    > be better to wait til you've got $100 for a new MB/CPU/Ram combo.

    That's my feeling. This outfit has been working flawlessly for 4 1/2
    years, and I'm leery of messing with success. This is the first thing
    I've looked into doing that I didn't have the horsepower to do, and I'm
    sure it won't be the last. But for now, I'm OK.

    Don't get me wrong - I have the $100 now to do this. It's just that the
    immediate future is so uncertain that it seems foolish to be anything
    but tight-fisted right now. If I've learned but one thing in my
    profession, it's that timing is everything.

    Thanks for the help, and the pleasant conversation. It has been an
    educational experience.

    TJ

  8. Re: DTV capture

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:30:04 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> Setting your FSB to 140 with a Duron 1800 should work ok too, but it
    >> might be better to wait til you've got $100 for a new MB/CPU/Ram combo.
    >>

    > That's my feeling. This outfit has been working flawlessly for 4 1/2
    > years, and I'm leery of messing with success. This is the first thing
    > I've looked into doing that I didn't have the horsepower to do, and I'm
    > sure it won't be the last. But for now, I'm OK.

    Well, there's no question that it would work using XvMC. The problem is
    I'm pretty sure your GF2 card doesn't support it. If that board will take
    an FX5200, that would work well. But you need to verify compatibility
    first. I think some of the GF4 cards supported XvMC but I'm not sure
    which. That board should support all of the GF4 boards.

    Good luck the year.

  9. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:03:00 -0500, user wrote:
    >
    >> What can you tell me about mine? Or better yet, teach me to fish!
    >> processor : 0
    >> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    >> cpu family : 15
    >> model : 44
    >> model name : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown stepping
    >> : 2
    >> cpu MHz : 1799.891
    >> cache size : 128 KB
    >> fdiv_bug : no
    >> hlt_bug : no
    >> f00f_bug : no
    >> coma_bug : no
    >> fpu : yes
    >> fpu_exception : yes
    >> cpuid level : 1
    >> wp : yes
    >> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    >> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
    >> lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc bogomips :
    >> 3604.24

    > The cpu family, model, and stepping is different on different cores. I had
    > the K7 cpu cores memorized because they changed so much on the K7's that
    > it took certain cores in certain boards for desired results. That's really
    > not the case for the K8 cpu's so I didn't memorize them. AFAIK, all are
    > family 15 (0F). That 44 (2C) I can't find, but it's obvious that you need
    > a bios upgrade to recognize your Sempron. Maybe you can find it in
    > the AMD guide below.
    >
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/25759.pdf

    OK, thank you for the information. I got my pole and I'm off fishing.

  10. Re: DTV capture

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:30:04 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Newell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Setting your FSB to 140 with a Duron 1800 should work ok too, but it
    >>> might be better to wait til you've got $100 for a new MB/CPU/Ram combo.
    >>>

    >> That's my feeling. This outfit has been working flawlessly for 4 1/2
    >> years, and I'm leery of messing with success. This is the first thing
    >> I've looked into doing that I didn't have the horsepower to do, and I'm
    >> sure it won't be the last. But for now, I'm OK.
    >>

    > Well, there's no question that it would work using XvMC. The problem is
    > I'm pretty sure your GF2 card doesn't support it. If that board will take
    > an FX5200, that would work well. But you need to verify compatibility
    > first. I think some of the GF4 cards supported XvMC but I'm not sure
    > which. That board should support all of the GF4 boards.
    >
    > Good luck the year.

    This is what comes from talking about two computers at once. The GF2
    card is in the older computer, the one with the Duron 800 processor. The
    one with the Athlon XP 1900+ has a 128 MB MX4000, which should support
    XvMC, if I'm googling the various forums correctly. It uses the nvidia
    96xx driver package, if that tells you anything.

    TJ

  11. Re: DTV capture

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:43:52 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > This is what comes from talking about two computers at once. The GF2
    > card is in the older computer, the one with the Duron 800 processor. The
    > one with the Athlon XP 1900+ has a 128 MB MX4000, which should support
    > XvMC, if I'm googling the various forums correctly. It uses the nvidia
    > 96xx driver package, if that tells you anything.

    Well if MX4000 supports XvMC, that 1900+ should be enough cpu to work with
    it. Using XvMC with an FX5200, I had a duron working at 1200MHz. Not great
    but it worked.:-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2