lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18? - Mandriva ; I'm trying to get the infrared remote on a cheap Sabrent TV-PCIRC working and it looks like if there is any hope of that it is going to require a "lirc_gpio" module. Problem is, I updated the kernel to 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv ...

  1. lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18?

    I'm trying to get the infrared remote on a cheap Sabrent TV-PCIRC
    working and it looks like if there is any hope of that it is going to
    require a "lirc_gpio" module. Problem is, I updated the kernel to
    2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv (via Mandriva's RPMs) but there seems to be no
    lirc-gpio-kernel-2.6.22.18(etc) on any of the mirrors I have
    checked.

    Anybody seen this RPM around???

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18?

    dmathog@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > I'm trying to get the infrared remote on a cheap Sabrent TV-PCIRC
    > working and it looks like if there is any hope of that it is going to
    > require a "lirc_gpio" module. Problem is, I updated the kernel to
    > 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv (via Mandriva's RPMs) but there seems to be no
    > lirc-gpio-kernel-2.6.22.18(etc) on any of the mirrors I have
    > checked.
    >
    > Anybody seen this RPM around???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David Mathog

    dkms-lirc-gpio

    the dkms system recompiles modules for you on every kernel
    upgrade,recompile, whatever

  3. Re: lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18?

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:27:54 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > the dkms system recompiles modules for you on every kernel
    > upgrade,recompile, whatever

    That is not correct.

    It works fine, the first time you boot from a newly installed kernel,
    or form a newly compiled kernel.

    Make a minor change using "make xconfig", reboot, and then find out you
    must force the modules to get recompiled, or manually delete various
    directories, to get dkms to realize the module has not yet been compiled
    for the current kernel.

    As a person who liked to experiment with kernel compile options, I've
    learned the hard way, dkms only works when you first install the new
    kernel. It does not work when you recompile a customized kernel, except
    for the first time.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: lirc-gpio-kernel for 2.6.22.18?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:27:54 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> the dkms system recompiles modules for you on every kernel
    >> upgrade,recompile, whatever

    > That is not correct.
    >
    > It works fine, the first time you boot from a newly installed kernel,
    > or form a newly compiled kernel.
    >
    > Make a minor change using "make xconfig", reboot, and then find out you
    > must force the modules to get recompiled, or manually delete various
    > directories, to get dkms to realize the module has not yet been compiled
    > for the current kernel.
    >
    > As a person who liked to experiment with kernel compile options, I've
    > learned the hard way, dkms only works when you first install the new
    > kernel. It does not work when you recompile a customized kernel, except
    > for the first time.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    ok thanx for the info

+ Reply to Thread