Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot! - Mandriva ; It's a new HP Pavilion dv9740us notebook, with dual cores, 3G ram and 350G disks (160G X 2), and 512mb dedicated video memory, with NVDIA GeForce 8600M-GS. I deleted the windows D: drive on the second drive, and intalled Mandriva ...

  1. Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    It's a new HP Pavilion dv9740us notebook, with dual cores, 3G ram and
    350G disks (160G X 2), and 512mb dedicated video memory, with NVDIA
    GeForce 8600M-GS.

    I deleted the windows D: drive on the second drive, and intalled
    Mandriva 2008. The install went perfectly, just like I'm used to. Then
    the fun started. Boot seems to go OK until it starts udev. Out of the
    many error messages, the one that seems to always pop-up is
    "udevd-event[2045]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit". It
    may get a little further, but always locks up after setting hostname.

    I get the same whether booting normal mode or fail-safe. After scanning
    the Mandriva group with google, I've tried various combinations of
    boot-time options (arrow-down to failsafe, F2 for Other Options):
    acpi=off, noapic, irqpoll, apm=off, ide=nodma, etc. So far I haven't
    found any magic combination that will let me boot this laptop into
    Mandriva. Grub seems fine, and Vista still works.

    If anybody's got any suggestions to try, please let me know.

    Art

  2. Re: Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:40:54 -0400, art wrote:

    > If anybody's got any suggestions to try, please let me know.

    In /etc/udev/udev.conf, change the udev_log line, or if not currently there, add
    udev_log="debug"

    That will hopefully add enough info to figure out which kernel module isfailing
    to load. Then it can be blacklisted, or the associated hardware removed, or
    disabled.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:40:54 -0400, art wrote:
    >
    >> If anybody's got any suggestions to try, please let me know.

    > In /etc/udev/udev.conf, change the udev_log line, or if not currently there, add
    > udev_log="debug"
    >
    > That will hopefully add enough info to figure out which kernel module is failing
    > to load. Then it can be blacklisted, or the associated hardware removed, or
    > disabled.

    Thanks, but I can't get it up far enough to even get to a command
    prompt, let alone edit anything.
    Art

  4. Re: Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:24:25 -0400, art wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> In /etc/udev/udev.conf, change the udev_log line, or if not currentlythere, add
    >> udev_log="debug"

    > Thanks, but I can't get it up far enough to even get to a command
    > prompt, let alone edit anything.

    Can you boot from a live cd to edit the file, and then to see the log entries?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:24:25 -0400, art wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> In /etc/udev/udev.conf, change the udev_log line, or if not currently there, add
    >>> udev_log="debug"

    >> Thanks, but I can't get it up far enough to even get to a command
    >> prompt, let alone edit anything.

    > Can you boot from a live cd to edit the file, and then to see the log entries?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I'll have to download it and burn one. I'll let you know.
    Art

+ Reply to Thread