firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate - Mandriva

This is a discussion on firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate - Mandriva ; It's a new HP Pavilion dv9740us notebook, with dual cores, 3G ram and 350G disks (160G X 2), and 512mb dedicated video memory, with NVDIA GeForce 8600M-GS. I deleted the windows D: drive on the second drive, and intalled Mandriva ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

  1. Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    It's a new HP Pavilion dv9740us notebook, with dual cores, 3G ram and
    350G disks (160G X 2), and 512mb dedicated video memory, with NVDIA
    GeForce 8600M-GS.

    I deleted the windows D: drive on the second drive, and intalled
    Mandriva 2008. The install went perfectly, just like I'm used to. Then
    the fun started. Boot seems to go OK until it starts udev. Out of the
    many error messages, the one that seems to always pop-up is
    "udevd-event[2045]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit". It
    may get a little further, but always locks up after setting hostname.

    I get the same whether booting normal mode or fail-safe. After scanning
    the Mandriva group with google, I've tried various combinations of
    boot-time options (arrow-down to failsafe, F2 for Other Options):
    acpi=off, noapic, irqpoll, apm=off, ide=nodma, etc. So far I haven't
    found any magic combination that will let me boot this laptop into
    Mandriva. Grub seems fine, and Vista still works.

    If anybody's got any suggestions to try, please let me know.

    Art

  2. firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi

    Reason given:
    -----------------
    qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.

    The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

    (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    ---------------
    At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    the problem.

  3. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:24:30 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister scribed:

    > Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >
    > Reason given:
    > -----------------
    > qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >
    > The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >
    > (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    > ---------------
    > At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    > the problem.


    Just tried it in Firefox 2.0.0.12 (win), you get a security
    certificate pop up "unable to verify as a trusted site".

  4. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:27:13 +0000, Darius wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:24:30 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister scribed:
    >
    >> Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    >> https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >>
    >> Reason given:
    >> -----------------
    >> qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >>
    >> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >>
    >> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    >> ---------------
    >> At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    >> the problem.

    >
    > Just tried it in Firefox 2.0.0.12 (win), you get a security
    > certificate pop up "unable to verify as a trusted site".


    Yep, same thing with Linux Firefox 2.0.0.12
    It is just a new security fetatures in Firefox 3.

  5. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >
    > Reason given:
    > -----------------
    > qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >
    > The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >
    > (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    > ---------------
    > At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    > the problem.


    Firefox 2.0.0.12-4 from cooker (64-bit) does not report a problem.
    This at 2105 EDT on 9 March.

    A Paris server hosting plf was not responding earlier in the day,
    and there is a report (in French) about connectivity problems with
    the forums, so perhaps there were comms glitches compounding the
    problem.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:08:15 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    >> https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >>
    >> Reason given:
    >> -----------------
    >> qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >>
    >> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >>
    >> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    >> ---------------
    >> At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    >> the problem.

    >
    > Firefox 2.0.0.12-4 from cooker (64-bit) does not report a problem.
    > This at 2105 EDT on 9 March.
    >
    > A Paris server hosting plf was not responding earlier in the day,
    > and there is a report (in French) about connectivity problems with
    > the forums, so perhaps there were comms glitches compounding the
    > problem.


    I hear where you are coming from, but I was able to contact the site
    and fetch the certificate which failed on look up from
    http://www.cacert.org/, both of which I can ping and access.

    The security pop up has been going on for awhile. I was just giving
    a heads up about Firefox 3. security feature. It kinda sucks because
    I have not yet found how to change the "feature" or look up the
    details about the certificate in the new release.

  7. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:08:15 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    >>> https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >>>
    >>> Reason given:
    >>> -----------------
    >>> qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >>>
    >>> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >>>
    >>> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    >>> ---------------
    >>> At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    >>> the problem.

    >> Firefox 2.0.0.12-4 from cooker (64-bit) does not report a problem.
    >> This at 2105 EDT on 9 March.
    >>
    >> A Paris server hosting plf was not responding earlier in the day,
    >> and there is a report (in French) about connectivity problems with
    >> the forums, so perhaps there were comms glitches compounding the
    >> problem.

    >
    > I hear where you are coming from, but I was able to contact the site
    > and fetch the certificate which failed on look up from
    > http://www.cacert.org/, both of which I can ping and access.
    >
    > The security pop up has been going on for awhile. I was just giving
    > a heads up about Firefox 3. security feature. It kinda sucks because
    > I have not yet found how to change the "feature" or look up the
    > details about the certificate in the new release.


    Yes, definitely sucks a bit. I expect to see much more of this.
    Where I work, there are all sorts of security controls, firewalls,
    and such, but those in charge of the servers never seem to be
    able to keep their certificates up to date and properly accessible.
    I consider it ridiculous, but just keep on clicking on "Accept
    this one time" when I should either be complaining or avoiding
    the site entirely -- but the former does no good and the latter
    does not fill the bill either.

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    on Monday 10 March 2008 11:24
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >
    > Reason given:
    > -----------------
    > qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >
    > The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >
    > (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    > ---------------
    > At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    > the problem.


    Is this what you are worried about?




    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:01:14 +1100, Peter D. wrote:
    > on Monday 10 March 2008 11:24
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    >> https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >>
    >> Reason given:
    >> -----------------
    >> qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >>
    >> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >>
    >> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    >> ---------------
    >> At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    >> the problem.

    >
    > Is this what you are worried about?
    >
    >


    I was not worried about it. Once they go to firefox 3 someone will
    have to look into it. It is a bit of a pain in firefox 3 to bypass the
    warning screen and drill down to where you can proceed to get to the
    site.

    Want a preview:
    http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/f.../releasenotes/
    Scroll down to More Secure and click on a few of the Try it here links :-8


  10. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:02:45 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Yep, same thing with Linux Firefox 2.0.0.12


    Not here, though. With Linux FF 2.0.0.12, went straight into
    site, no argument...

    --
    /\/\aurice

    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  11. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:56:15 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:02:45 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, same thing with Linux Firefox 2.0.0.12

    >
    > Not here, though. With Linux FF 2.0.0.12, went straight into
    > site, no argument...


    Note: /local/opt is my partition where I install vendor releases.

    AH ha, using
    /usr/bin/firefox https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi no popup
    /local/opt/firefox-2.0.0.12/firefox https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi has popup
    /local/opt/firefox-3.0b3/firefox https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi has popup

    That looks to me that there is a fake Certificate Authority embedded in the
    Mandriva Firefox rpm.

    A Oh By The Way,
    Want to see your browser rating in the acid-3 standards-compliance test?

    http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/


  12. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On 2008-03-10, Peter D. wrote:
    > on Monday 10 March 2008 11:24
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Heheh, Firefox 3.0b3 will not let you access
    >> https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    >>
    >> Reason given:
    >> -----------------
    >> qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate.
    >>
    >> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    >>
    >> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    >> ---------------
    >> At least with Firefox 2.x.x.x you could click OK to continue and report
    >> the problem.

    >
    > Is this what you are worried about?
    >
    >


    Thanks for the bug report URL. There is also some
    discussion in a forum thread:

    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=81338

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  13. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > That looks to me that there is a fake Certificate Authority embedded in
    > the Mandriva Firefox rpm.
    >

    If so, that could be fixed in Certificate Management in Series 2.

    Doug.

  14. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:35:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Want to see your browser rating in the acid-3 standards-compliance test?
    >
    > http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/


    Seems almost all Windows/Mac/Ubuntu there.

    Which entry there do you feel is relevant?

    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


  15. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid securitycertificate

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:56:07 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:35:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Want to see your browser rating in the acid-3 standards-compliance test?
    >>
    >> http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/

    >
    > Seems almost all Windows/Mac/Ubuntu there.
    >
    > Which entry there do you feel is relevant?


    It was just an FYI link.
    I did think it was funny that IE 5.x was more compliant than 7.x

  16. Re: firefox 3.0b3 qa.mandriva.com uses an invalid security certificate

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:03:37 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    (Retired in Surrey, UK)

    > I did think it was funny that IE 5.x was more compliant than 7.x


    You might find the following article in today's 'Guardian'
    interesting:


    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...osoft.internet


    --
    /\/\aurice

    (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)


+ Reply to Thread