Developing applications for Mandriva - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Developing applications for Mandriva - Mandriva ; I would like to try writing a few small applications which may be of use to newbies to Linux. As a comparative newbie to Linux myself, is there any kind of development suit in Linux that allows you to design ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Developing applications for Mandriva

  1. Developing applications for Mandriva

    I would like to try writing a few small applications which may be of use
    to newbies to Linux. As a comparative newbie to Linux myself, is there
    any kind of development suit in Linux that allows you to design and code
    the same way as in the old applications of Windows using Visual Basic /
    Delphi / Visual C etc.? Looking for either C or Pascal languages to write
    in / whichever stuff in Linux is usually written in.

  2. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    Darius wrote:

    > I would like to try writing a few small applications which may be of use
    > to newbies to Linux. As a comparative newbie to Linux myself, is there
    > any kind of development suit in Linux that allows you to design and code
    > the same way as in the old applications of Windows using Visual Basic /
    > Delphi / Visual C etc.? Looking for either C or Pascal languages to write
    > in / whichever stuff in Linux is usually written in.


    There are many good languages to use in developing GUI type apps for Linux.
    You could use Gambas, a VB-type basic language, or use the firefox setup
    and create apps using XUL, etc. Then there are those like C or C++. You
    could even use perl and perl/tk to create useful applications.

    I use Tcl/Tk to develop apps for Linux - a simple syntax yet very rich in
    the effects it can create, plus a very helpful user community.

    The choice of language and development environment is very wide - just
    choose some way and jump right in and create something useful Plus most
    of these tools are available cost free!

    Rob.

  3. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:24:14 +0000, Darius wrote:

    > I would like to try writing a few small applications which may be of use
    > to newbies to Linux. As a comparative newbie to Linux myself, is there
    > any kind of development suit in Linux that allows you to design and code
    > the same way as in the old applications of Windows using Visual Basic /
    > Delphi / Visual C etc.? Looking for either C or Pascal languages to
    > write in / whichever stuff in Linux is usually written in.


    There are several Integrated Development Environments for Linux. Have you
    tried a web search for something like "linux ide"? QT Designer comes to
    mind, I believe there is also one for GTK; there is netbeans, sun
    studio . . .

  4. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:56:35 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:24:14 +0000, Darius wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to try writing a few small applications which may be of
    >> use to newbies to Linux. As a comparative newbie to Linux myself, is
    >> there any kind of development suit in Linux that allows you to design
    >> and code the same way as in the old applications of Windows using
    >> Visual Basic / Delphi / Visual C etc.? Looking for either C or Pascal
    >> languages to write in / whichever stuff in Linux is usually written in.

    >
    > There are several Integrated Development Environments for Linux. Have
    > you tried a web search for something like "linux ide"? QT Designer comes
    > to mind, I believe there is also one for GTK; there is netbeans, sun
    > studio . . .


    One such list is at: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/ides.html

  5. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:55:41 +1100, Rob wrote:

    > The choice of language and development environment is very wide - just
    > choose some way and jump right in and create something useful Plus
    > most of these tools are available cost free!


    Thanks for your help, four what it's worth, staying away from Perl, never
    did get my head around it.

  6. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:36:46 +0000, ray wrote:

    >> There are several Integrated Development Environments for Linux. Have
    >> you tried a web search for something like "linux ide"? QT Designer
    >> comes to mind, I believe there is also one for GTK; there is netbeans,
    >> sun studio . . .

    >
    > One such list is at: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/ides.html


    Thanks for you suggestion and that link, which I've started to check out.
    Does not QT have issues on it not being totally "free" / GPL code etc.,
    a bit like the drivers for nVidia cards??

  7. Re: Developing applications for Mandriva

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:04:41 +0000, Darius wrote:

    > Does not QT have issues on it not being totally "free" / GPL code etc.,
    > a bit like the drivers for nVidia cards??


    That information is *very* out of date. Qt has been dual-licensed under
    the GPL for a long time now.

+ Reply to Thread