kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust? - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008: On my laptop, kdesktop runs kblankscreen after two minutes. This is not a matter of the screensaver starting ( that is set for 15 min) but this blankscreen program starts up. I have searched through the KDE configure ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

  1. kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    Mandriva 2008: On my laptop, kdesktop runs kblankscreen after two minutes.
    This is not a matter of the screensaver starting ( that is set for 15 min)
    but this blankscreen program starts up. I have searched through the KDE
    configure program and can see nowhere to adjust how much time should pass
    before this starts, or disable it.

    How to I adjust the time before kblankscreen starts?
    (This is a disaster if I am using my laptop to give a ooffice Impress talk
    or pdf talk since sometime I talk more than 2 min on a slide).

  2. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:53:52 -0500, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > How to I adjust the time before kblankscreen starts?


    Right click an a blank area of the desktop. Select "Configure Desktop...".
    Select the Display icon. Select the Power Control tab. Ensure the checkbox
    for "Enable display power management" is selected. Set the Standby after,
    Suspend after, and Power off after, times to Disabled (zero).

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:53:52 -0500, Bill Unruh wrote:


    >> How to I adjust the time before kblankscreen starts?


    >Right click an a blank area of the desktop. Select "Configure Desktop...".
    >Select the Display icon. Select the Power Control tab. Ensure the checkbox
    >for "Enable display power management" is selected. Set the Standby after,
    >Suspend after, and Power off after, times to Disabled (zero).


    Thanks. But it is Standby After at 15 min, Suspend After 30min and PowerOff
    after 45min. But the blanking occurs after 2 min. Where is that 2 min set?
    Or isn't it?


    >Regards, Dave Hodgins


    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


  4. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:17:01 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    > "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >>Select the Display icon. Select the Power Control tab. Ensure the checkbox
    >>for "Enable display power management" is selected. Set the Standby after,

    >
    > Thanks. But it is Standby After at 15 min, Suspend After 30min and PowerOff
    > after 45min. But the blanking occurs after 2 min. Where is that 2 min set?
    > Or isn't it?


    Is the checkbox selected? If it is, kde will override the xorg dpms settings.

    You may need to change the xorg settings using xset. Try "xset s 0", to turn
    off the xorg screensaver/blanker. Check "man xset" for other options, including
    the dpms settings, if they are not being overridden by kde.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:17:01 -0500, Unruh wrote:


    >> "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >>>Select the Display icon. Select the Power Control tab. Ensure the checkbox
    >>>for "Enable display power management" is selected. Set the Standby after,

    >>
    >> Thanks. But it is Standby After at 15 min, Suspend After 30min and PowerOff
    >> after 45min. But the blanking occurs after 2 min. Where is that 2 min set?
    >> Or isn't it?


    >Is the checkbox selected? If it is, kde will override the xorg dpms settings.


    Yes, it is checked.


    >You may need to change the xorg settings using xset. Try "xset s 0", to turn
    >off the xorg screensaver/blanker. Check "man xset" for other options, including
    >the dpms settings, if they are not being overridden by kde.


    OK will try that. But apparently KDE is not overriding something, since the
    blanking occurs after 2 min.

    The system is running kblankscreen which is run by kdesktop_lock which is
    runby kdesktop

    |-kdesktop---kdesktop_lock---kblankscrn.kss

    is the output by pstree which suggests it is NOT xorg, but kde which is
    doing it.

    (I ran and saved pstree every 5 sec while waiting for the screen to blank.
    This started when the screen blanked)





    >Regards, Dave Hodgins


    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


  6. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:37:02 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > The system is running kblankscreen which is run by kdesktop_lock which is
    > runby kdesktop
    > |-kdesktop---kdesktop_lock---kblankscrn.kss


    Ok. Ignore the xorg stuff. Please post the contents of the [ScreenSaver]
    section of ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  7. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    Unruh wrote:

    > "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >
    >>On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:17:01 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    >
    >>> "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >>>>Select the Display icon. Select the Power Control tab. Ensure the
    >>>>checkbox
    >>>>for "Enable display power management" is selected. Set the Standby after,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. But it is Standby After at 15 min, Suspend After 30min and PowerOff
    >>> after 45min. But the blanking occurs after 2 min. Where is that 2 min set?
    >>> Or isn't it?

    >
    >>Is the checkbox selected? If it is, kde will override the xorg dpms
    >>settings.

    >
    > Yes, it is checked.
    >
    >
    >>You may need to change the xorg settings using xset. Try "xset s 0", to turn
    >>off the xorg screensaver/blanker. Check "man xset" for other options,
    >>including the dpms settings, if they are not being overridden by kde.

    >
    > OK will try that. But apparently KDE is not overriding something, since the
    > blanking occurs after 2 min.
    >
    > The system is running kblankscreen which is run by kdesktop_lock which is
    > runby kdesktop
    >
    > |-kdesktop---kdesktop_lock---kblankscrn.kss


    dot kss is a screensaver.
    Have you got your screensaver active?
    >
    > is the output by pstree which suggests it is NOT xorg, but kde which is
    > doing it.
    >
    > (I ran and saved pstree every 5 sec while waiting for the screen to blank.
    > This started when the screen blanked)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >
    >>--
    >>Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >>(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >>use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


    --
    faeychild

  8. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    faeychild writes:

    >Unruh wrote:


    >> The system is running kblankscreen which is run by kdesktop_lock which is
    >> runby kdesktop
    >>
    >> |-kdesktop---kdesktop_lock---kblankscrn.kss


    >dot kss is a screensaver.
    >Have you got your screensaver active?


    Yes. It is set to become active in 15 min, not 2 min which is when the
    blackscreen kicks in. And I can see nothing the screensaver which would
    control the time when blankscreen kicks in.


    >>
    >>
    >> is the output by pstree which suggests it is NOT xorg, but kde which is
    >> doing it.
    >>
    >> (I ran and saved pstree every 5 sec while waiting for the screen to blank.
    >> This started when the screen blanked)
    >>
    >>


  9. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    Unruh writes:

    >faeychild writes:


    >>Unruh wrote:


    >>> The system is running kblankscreen which is run by kdesktop_lock which is
    >>> runby kdesktop
    >>>
    >>> |-kdesktop---kdesktop_lock---kblankscrn.kss


    >>dot kss is a screensaver.
    >>Have you got your screensaver active?


    >Yes. It is set to become active in 15 min, not 2 min which is when the
    >blackscreen kicks in. And I can see nothing the screensaver which would
    >control the time when blankscreen kicks in.


    I stopped the screensaver and I still get the blankscreen after 2 min.





  10. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:59:04 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > I stopped the screensaver and I still get the blankscreen after 2 min.


    Screen blanking can be done either by a screensaver, by dpms, or acpi.

    Dpms can be controlled by xorg, or overridden by a window manager.
    The screen saver can be run by xorg, or by a window manager.

    For xorg, you can check the settings using "xset q", run from a konsole,
    as the user that started x. This will show you both the screensaver
    settings, as well as the dpms options.

    For kde, the dpms settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc,
    with the timeouts stored in the powerOffAfter, standbyAfter, and suspendAfter
    variables. The screensaver settings are ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc,
    while the acpi settings are in ~/.kde/share/config/kcmlaptoprc

    For debugging, keep the kde screensaver on, but set it to something other then
    blanking the screen.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  11. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:59:04 -0400, Unruh wrote:


    >> I stopped the screensaver and I still get the blankscreen after 2 min.


    >Screen blanking can be done either by a screensaver, by dpms, or acpi.


    >Dpms can be controlled by xorg, or overridden by a window manager.
    >The screen saver can be run by xorg, or by a window manager.


    >For xorg, you can check the settings using "xset q", run from a konsole,
    >as the user that started x. This will show you both the screensaver
    >settings, as well as the dpms options.


    From xset

    >For kde, the dpms settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc,
    >with the timeouts stored in the powerOffAfter, standbyAfter, and suspendAfter
    >variables. The screensaver settings are ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc,
    >while the acpi settings are in ~/.kde/share/config/kcmlaptoprc


    >For debugging, keep the kde screensaver on, but set it to something other then
    >blanking the screen.


    It is and was. It displayed the default artic scenes from the Mandriva 2008
    screesaver.

    But xset -q shows

    DPMS (Energy Star)
    Standby:120 Suspend: 180 Off: 300
    DPMS is enabled
    Monitor is On

    seems to be the trouble ( not that it has ever suspended or gone off, so
    that seems to be inoperative)

    But I have no idea where that "standby" is actually set-- the
    ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc has almost nothing in it.



    >Hope this helps.


    >Regards, Dave Hodgins


    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


  12. Re: kblankscreen-- how to stop or adjust?

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:54:30 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > But xset -q shows
    > Standby:120 Suspend: 180 Off: 300
    > seems to be the trouble ( not that it has ever suspended or gone off, so
    > that seems to be inoperative)
    > But I have no idea where that "standby" is actually set-- the
    > ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc has almost nothing in it.


    If the kpowersave options were set to have the dpms enabled, and the times
    set to 0 (disabled), it should override xorg.

    The xset dpms options can be set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. From man xorg.conf,
    Option "BlankTime" "time" # Default: 10 min
    Option "StandbyTime" "time" # Default: 20 min
    Option "SuspendTime" "time" # Default: 30 min
    Option "OffTime" "time" # Default: 40 min

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread