console mode video - Mandriva

This is a discussion on console mode video - Mandriva ; My system: Mdv 2008.0 in x86_64 mode nVidia geForce 62000 LE graphics card intel DG33TL system board. kernel 2.6.22.18-1 customized I just downloaded the latest nvidia driver 169.12 I'm running a custom kernel and although things work i thought i ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: console mode video

  1. console mode video

    My system:
    Mdv 2008.0 in x86_64 mode
    nVidia geForce 62000 LE graphics card
    intel DG33TL system board.
    kernel 2.6.22.18-1 customized

    I just downloaded the latest nvidia driver 169.12
    I'm running a custom kernel and although things work i
    thought i ought get the driver installed correctly for it.
    Anyway, i logged out of X, logged in as root in runlevel 3,
    ran the nvidia .run file and all the text it shows is
    run together with no spaces between the words. (Same thing happens in a
    console window which i tried just now to see what it would look like)
    Very odd.
    One other thing that pops into my mind is that i have seen fairly often (not
    always, and i cant seem to re-create right now in a console window) that
    certain characters in console mode show up as reverse highlighted question
    marks (i believe they are quote marks in reality)
    Am i running an incorrect char set? improper or unusual console video mode?
    Thanks
    Eric
    Here's what i mean:
    NVIDIASofNVIDIAAcceleratedGraphicsDriverforLinux-x86_64(169.12)

    ERROR:YouappeartoberunninganXserver;pleaseexitXbef ore
    installing.Forfurtherdetails,pleaseseethesectionIN STALLING
    THENVIDIADRIVERintheREADMEavailableontheLinuxdrive r
    downloadpageatwww.nvidia.com.

    OK

    NVIDIASoftwareInstallerforUnix/Linuxwww.nvidia.com


  2. Re: console mode video

    Eric wrote:
    > My system:
    > Mdv 2008.0 in x86_64 mode
    > nVidia geForce 62000 LE graphics card
    > intel DG33TL system board.
    > kernel 2.6.22.18-1 customized
    >
    > I just downloaded the latest nvidia driver 169.12


    > Here's what i mean:
    > NVIDIASofNVIDIAAcceleratedGraphicsDriverforLinux-x86_64(169.12)
    >
    > ERROR:YouappeartoberunninganXserver;pleaseexitXbef ore
    > installing.Forfurtherdetails,pleaseseethesectionIN STALLING
    > THENVIDIADRIVERintheREADMEavailableontheLinuxdrive r
    > downloadpageatwww.nvidia.com.
    >
    > OK
    >
    > NVIDIASoftwareInstallerforUnix/Linuxwww.nvidia.com


    Go into /var/log and as root and look for an nvidia
    log file. If not there, grep for nvidia and look in
    the files that contain that for more info on what happened.

    The nVidia package from its website does not play nicely
    with UTF-8 or something. You are not doing anything wrong,
    but you will have to watch carefully to figure out what you
    need to do next each time you have an option (hit enter if
    ok is highlighted; use arrow key to move over if needed).

    I have found that if I download the devel package for
    my new kernel, then download the kernel-nvidia package
    for my new kernel, and then download and install the new
    kernel and reboot, dkms will build and install the drivers
    nicely.

    Cheers!

    jim b.



    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: console mode video

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:08:59 -0800, Eric wrote:

    > Here's what i mean:
    > NVIDIASofNVIDIAAcceleratedGraphicsDriverforLinux-x86_64(169.12)


    I've been experiencing the same problem for the past two years, whatever
    kernel update, whatever updated Nvidia driver. The only solution I've
    come up with is to remember to press the left / right arrow keys after
    each option to make sure you select yes or no when you need to.

    The text writes text over text, making it VERY difficult to read.

    I asked Nvidia about it, and their conclusion is it's not their driver,
    so it's something else, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it
    is, and nobody else can either.

  4. Re: console mode video

    Darius wrote:
    > I asked Nvidia about it, and their conclusion is it's not their driver,
    > so it's something else, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it
    > is, and nobody else can either.


    It's a locale thing, but I cannot remember what had to
    be changed to make it work properly. I have had it both
    ways, working and non-working, and it is easier to just
    ignore the nVidia problem. It does not recur all that
    often. Not at all, in fact, once I learned to install
    the devel package for the new kernel and then install
    the new kernel and reboot. DKMS works nicely, then.

    I have also downloaded a third package -- the kernel-nvidia
    package for the new kernel -- and I do not know what it does.
    I _think_ it contains precompiled drivers for nvidia, whereas
    the nVidia installer (and DKMS if it does not have the
    kernel-nvidia package available) will compile new drivers
    and install them.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: console mode video

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:20:22 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > I have also downloaded a third package -- the kernel-nvidia package for
    > the new kernel -- and I do not know what it does. I _think_ it contains
    > precompiled drivers for nvidia, whereas the nVidia installer (and DKMS
    > if it does not have the kernel-nvidia package available) will compile
    > new drivers and install them.


    I always install kernel-source / devel or else the driver cannot be built
    for the new kernel. With your way of installing, is the driver the
    official Nvidia driver or like the plf drivers, non-official?

  6. Re: console mode video

    Darius wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:20:22 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> I have also downloaded a third package -- the kernel-nvidia package for
    >> the new kernel -- and I do not know what it does. I _think_ it contains
    >> precompiled drivers for nvidia, whereas the nVidia installer (and DKMS
    >> if it does not have the kernel-nvidia package available) will compile
    >> new drivers and install them.

    >
    > I always install kernel-source / devel or else the driver cannot be built
    > for the new kernel. With your way of installing, is the driver the
    > official Nvidia driver or like the plf drivers, non-official?


    I have done it both ways, but I am most consistently successful
    when I use the Mandriva packages, from the normal Mandriva
    mirrors. The key to success is having the devel package installed
    before downloading the actual kernel, in my estimation.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread