Progress bas / NFS / Resolution - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Progress bas / NFS / Resolution - Mandriva ; Best Linuxers, I experienced the following: I had to print big characters and after I did it I got a font problem and couldn't start in the GUI anymore. A message said something like "font - has to be fixed". ...

  1. Progress bas / NFS / Resolution

    Best Linuxers,

    I experienced the following:

    I had to print big characters and after I did it
    I got a font problem and couldn't start in the
    GUI anymore.
    A message said something like "font - has to be fixed".

    I did a vgalo upgrade-install and could enter again in GUI.
    As I understand it, this is low resolution install.

    I am now left with two little problems:

    1) During the start-up of Mandriva I don't have the progress bar arnymore.
    Start-up is now always in verbose mode
    without me asking to do so with the ESC button.
    Is there a way to get the progress bar back
    during install?

    2) When I stop the computer, there is the message:
    NFS locking - failed
    I think I never had this before, my install was 100% ok.
    Is this a problem? And if yes, what should i do to
    solve it?

    3) What can I do to get back into high resolution?
    4) Are there other things I should do?

    Thanks in advance for advice.
    Vivian

  2. Re: Progress bas / NFS / Resolution

    Vivian wrote:
    > I had to print big characters and after I did it
    > I got a font problem and couldn't start in the
    > GUI anymore.
    > A message said something like "font - has to be fixed".

    Was this when you installed? Or was all working until
    you used big characters?

    > I did a vgalo upgrade-install and could enter again in GUI.
    > As I understand it, this is low resolution install.
    >
    > I am now left with two little problems:
    >
    > 1) During the start-up of Mandriva I don't have the progress bar
    > arnymore. Start-up is now always in verbose mode
    > without me asking to do so with the ESC button.
    > Is there a way to get the progress bar back
    > during install?
    >
    > 2) When I stop the computer, there is the message:
    > NFS locking - failed
    > I think I never had this before, my install was 100% ok.
    > Is this a problem? And if yes, what should i do to
    > solve it?

    Do you use network file system file sharing? If not,
    you do not need it.

    > 3) What can I do to get back into high resolution?

    Go to Tools-->System Tools-->Configure Your Computer
    (assuming 2008.1 Cooker; exact path may differ for
    your installation) or in a terminal window run mcc.
    Click on Hardware, and then on Set up the graphical
    server. Select your video card and settings.

    > 4) Are there other things I should do?

    You probably need to go through the options available
    in mcc/Mandriva Linux Control Center. Under Software
    management, set up your mirrors, and update your
    system if you have not done so.

    The Boot option offers settings for how your machine
    will boot up -- grub or lilo, text or graphics, etc.

    If you are having problems with the graphics X11 system,
    as root make sure the line id:3:initdefault: has a
    3 rather than a 7. This will boot you into a terminal,
    rather than a graphic user interface. Then you start
    the GUI with startx. If things go badly, you can
    work on things from the command line without having
    to resort to a rescue disk.

    Should you wish to maximize opportunities to get help
    (I note your post has been available for several hours
    now), it would be a good idea to provide critical
    information: specific OS (2008.0 or 2007.1 or
    whatever) and exact (if possible) descriptions of
    exactly what you did and what happened.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Progress bas / NFS / Resolution

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > If you are having problems with the graphics X11 system,
    > as root make sure the line id:3:initdefault: has a
    > 3 rather than a 7.

    Oops. This is in file /etc/inittab.

    ..
    > This will boot you into a terminal,
    > rather than a graphic user interface. Then you start
    > the GUI with startx. If things go badly, you can
    > work on things from the command line without having
    > to resort to a rescue disk.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Can't get new HP Pavilion notebook to boot!

    It's a new HP Pavilion dv9740us notebook, with dual cores, 3G ram and
    350G disks (160G X 2), and 512mb dedicated video memory, with NVDIA
    GeForce 8600M-GS.

    I deleted the windows D: drive on the second drive, and intalled
    Mandriva 2008. The install went perfectly, just like I'm used to. Then
    the fun started. Boot seems to go OK until it starts udev. Out of the
    many error messages, the one that seems to always pop-up is
    "udevd-event[2045]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit". It
    may get a little further, but always locks up after setting hostname.

    I get the same whether booting normal mode or fail-safe. After scanning
    the Mandriva group with google, I've tried various combinations of
    boot-time options (arrow-down to failsafe, F2 for Other Options):
    acpi=off, noapic, irqpoll, apm=off, ide=nodma, etc. So far I haven't
    found any magic combination that will let me boot this laptop into
    Mandriva. Grub seems fine, and Vista still works.

    If anybody's got any suggestions to try, please let me know.

    Art

  5. Re: Progress bas / NFS / Resolution

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:24:32 +0100, Jim Beard
    wrote:

    > Vivian wrote:
    >> I had to print big characters and after I did it
    >> I got a font problem and couldn't start in the
    >> GUI anymore.
    >> A message said something like "font - has to be fixed".

    > Was this when you installed? Or was all working until
    > you used big characters?

    All was working 100 % OK until i had to use the big
    character.
    I printed them with Mozilla, I think.

    >> I did a vgalo upgrade-install and could enter again in GUI.
    >> As I understand it, this is low resolution install.
    >> I am now left with two little problems:
    >> 1) During the start-up of Mandriva I don't have the progress bar
    >> arnymore. Start-up is now always in verbose mode
    >> without me asking to do so with the ESC button.
    >> Is there a way to get the progress bar back
    >> during install?
    >> 2) When I stop the computer, there is the message:
    >> NFS locking - failed
    >> I think I never had this before, my install was 100% ok.
    >> Is this a problem? And if yes, what should i do to
    >> solve it?

    > Do you use network file system file sharing? If not,
    > you do not need it.

    No, I don't use file sharing.

    >> 3) What can I do to get back into high resolution?

    > Go to Tools-->System Tools-->Configure Your Computer
    > (assuming 2008.1 Cooker; exact path may differ for
    > your installation) or in a terminal window run mcc.
    > Click on Hardware, and then on Set up the graphical
    > server. Select your video card and settings.

    OK. Thanks.

    >> 4) Are there other things I should do?

    > You probably need to go through the options available
    > in mcc/Mandriva Linux Control Center. Under Software
    > management, set up your mirrors, and update your
    > system if you have not done so.
    >
    > The Boot option offers settings for how your machine
    > will boot up -- grub or lilo, text or graphics, etc.

    Many thanks. I should have known this, but
    when I have that type of problem and when
    there are so many things to think of, I prefer to ask
    as to be sure to not forget anything.

    Thanks for the detailed info - I'm quite sure it'll work.
    Vivian

    > If you are having problems with the graphics X11 system,
    > as root make sure the line id:3:initdefault: has a
    > 3 rather than a 7. This will boot you into a terminal,
    > rather than a graphic user interface. Then you start
    > the GUI with startx. If things go badly, you can
    > work on things from the command line without having
    > to resort to a rescue disk.
    >
    > Should you wish to maximize opportunities to get help
    > (I note your post has been available for several hours
    > now), it would be a good idea to provide critical
    > information: specific OS (2008.0 or 2007.1 or
    > whatever) and exact (if possible) descriptions of
    > exactly what you did and what happened.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

  6. Re: Progress bas / NFS / Resolution

    Vivian wrote:
    >> Vivian wrote:
    >>> I had to print big characters and after I did it
    >>> I got a font problem and couldn't start in the
    >>> GUI anymore.
    >>> A message said something like "font - has to be fixed".

    > All was working 100 % OK until i had to use the big
    > character.
    > I printed them with Mozilla, I think.

    Jim Beard wrote,
    >> Should you wish to maximize opportunities to get help
    >> it would be a good idea to provide critical
    >> information: specific OS (2008.0 or 2007.1 or
    >> whatever) and exact (if possible) descriptions of
    >> exactly what you did and what happened.

    I suspect the other things you will do may not
    address the above problem. A reload of KDE or GNOME
    or a system reboot might regenerate the fonts data
    used by the X-windows system, or it might not.

    If you still have the problem, it is probably beyond
    my knowledge. Data needed will include the exact
    OS used, and if at all possible the exact error
    message(s) generated.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --