laptop crash recovery with 2006 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on laptop crash recovery with 2006 - Mandriva ; My IBM %51 crashed when the battery died and I think I've managed to break a Reiser FS. When it came back up /etc/modprobe.conf was corrupted as well as /mandrake_anytime. Net result is that I have no references to the ...

  1. laptop crash recovery with 2006

    My IBM %51 crashed when the battery died and I think I've managed to
    break a Reiser FS. When it came back up /etc/modprobe.conf was corrupted
    as well as /mandrake_anytime. Net result is that I have no references to
    the wired or wireless nics. If I have to re-install, I'd like to re-
    install 2006 because it has worked so well for me for years now. Is
    there a repository of all of the updates for 2006 somewhere up to the end
    of Mandriva's support?

  2. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:33:46 -0000, mr.b wrote:

    > If I have to re-install, I'd like to re-
    > install 2006 because it has worked so well for me for years now.

    I would be nervous running something with so many security updates missing.
    I would at least try 2008.0 before going back to 2006.

    > Is there a repository of all of the updates for 2006 somewhere up to
    > the end of Mandriva's support?

    Have you looked on http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

  3. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:39:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I would be nervous running something with so many security updates
    > missing. I would at least try 2008.0 before going back to 2006.

    Yeah well I bit the bullet and did a 2008 install. I miss the finer-
    grained control you had pre-v10. Updates to follow. We'll see how it
    goes. So much eye-candy...

  4. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    "mr.b" writes:

    >On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:39:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> I would be nervous running something with so many security updates
    >> missing. I would at least try 2008.0 before going back to 2006.

    >Yeah well I bit the bullet and did a 2008 install. I miss the finer-
    >grained control you had pre-v10. Updates to follow. We'll see how it
    >goes. So much eye-candy...

    No idea what you mean. If you want to run the system without X go ahead.
    The command line is there. If youwant to use some much slimmer X manager,
    they are there too. And what "finer-grained " control are you talking
    about?

  5. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:36:51 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > No idea what you mean. If you want to run the system without X go ahead.
    > The command line is there. If youwant to use some much slimmer X
    > manager, they are there too. And what "finer-grained " control are you
    > talking about?

    Don't need to go headless/X-less, that's what Slack and OpenBSD are for.
    In the effort to look more M$-like for the new users of Linux, the
    "wizard" install process hides everything that's going. If I wanted to
    be kept in the dark about an install, I'd buy a Mac. As to the other
    stuff, yeah I know...I'm talking about the install with compiz...bright
    gooey gui...spinning desktops...warping windows...ooh I'm havin' a modern
    computing experience baby...I just really liked the look of 8.2 and
    9.2...lean, clean and I liked being able to choose what I wanted to
    install instead of having to prune the tree afterward. But this is all
    academic, if 2008 works as well as 2006 did on this IBM R51, I'll be a
    happy camper. I'm surprised at how badly thrashed the machine got after
    crashing...and these @#$%&*#% things never crash when you don't _need_
    them.

  6. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:33:46 -0000, mr.b wrote:
    >
    >> If I have to re-install, I'd like to re-
    >> install 2006 because it has worked so well for me for years now.

    > I would be nervous running something with so many security updates missing.
    > I would at least try 2008.0 before going back to 2006.
    >
    >> Is there a repository of all of the updates for 2006 somewhere up to
    >> the end of Mandriva's support?

    > Have you looked on http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    ok here is how i layout harddrives for my linux systems

    8.4GB ( I think I will make this bigger) for /, about a gig or so ( I
    think my desktop system has 3.8 and my laptop has 1.somthing gb) for
    swap whetever you want, and the rest for /home (makes upgrading and
    reinstalling a sinch0

    I use ext3 filesystem, but use whetever you like, I reccoment a
    jernaling system like ext3

    once you got it running I recommend disableing hardware wright cache
    hdparm -W0 /dev/whetever_harddrive

    here are my hdparm lines in rc.local

    hdparm -c1 -u1 -d1 -k1 -m16 -W0 /dev/hda
    hdparm -c1 -u1 -d1 -k1 /dev/hdc

    [root@diehardp4 diehard]# hdparm /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    multcount = 16 (on)
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    keepsettings = 1 (on)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    geometry = 24321/255/63, sectors = 390721968, start = 0

    better performance

    with this partition setup your userdata is sepret from the system so
    going up and down threw versons is not a problem

    disableing the hardware wright cache is a good idea incase of a hardlock
    ro power failer 1 finger salute, prevents filesystem cruption witch
    sounds like what happpined to you

  7. Re: laptop crash recovery with 2006

    On 2008-03-05, Unruh wrote:
    > "mr.b" writes:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:39:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would be nervous running something with so many security updates
    >>> missing. I would at least try 2008.0 before going back to 2006.

    >>Yeah well I bit the bullet and did a 2008 install. I miss the finer-
    >>grained control you had pre-v10. Updates to follow. We'll see how it
    >>goes. So much eye-candy...

    > No idea what you mean. If you want to run the system without X go ahead.
    > The command line is there. If youwant to use some much slimmer X manager,
    > they are there too. And what "finer-grained " control are you talking
    > about?

    I suspect the OP is referring to "individual package
    selection" during installation. With earlier Mandr*
    versions, "individual package selection" meant just what it
    said, and all packages on the installation media were
    available for said selection during the installation
    process. For the past year or two, "individual package
    selection" has instead meant a selection of (small) groups
    of an incomplete subset of the packages on the installation
    media.

    For my next installation, I think I'll skip the (misnamed)
    "individual package selection" and do _true_ individual
    package selection after installing.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net