what pop3 daemon to use with postfix - Mandriva

This is a discussion on what pop3 daemon to use with postfix - Mandriva ; What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0? I tried dovecot but the conf file is a horrid 1000+ lines long, and i'll be damned if i can get it working. There must be a simple pop3d ...

  1. what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?
    I tried dovecot but the conf file is a horrid 1000+ lines long,
    and i'll be damned if i can get it working. There must be a simple
    pop3d that just works, no?
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Eric wrote:
    > What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    I use getmail. Getmail also does POP3 SSL.

  3. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    > I use getmail. Getmail also does POP3 SSL.

    ok -thanks, I'll give it a try
    Eric

  4. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    > I use getmail. Getmail also does POP3 SSL.

    I must have something broken in my setup (2008.0 x86_64).
    My problem is that I cant retrieve mail from the local machine, in other words
    if cron sends me a mail i never can get it with thunderbird or evolution.
    I *can* however, read it with the console's "mail" program. I have 96 cron
    messages in /var/spool/mail/ that i can see and read and delete
    with "mail" from the console but i cant get to them with thunderbird. I may
    have been barking up the wrong tree when trying to get a pop3 daemon
    installed - maybe that has nothing to do with my base problem.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Eric

  5. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:58:15 -0500, Eric wrote:

    > What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    I'v installed the imap rpm, which provides imap/pop3, with/without ssl
    using xinetd.d.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:58:15 -0500, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    > I'v installed the imap rpm, which provides imap/pop3, with/without ssl
    > using xinetd.d.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Which imap rpm? There's a lot.

    Do you know how to start postfixadmin? I installed it but cant find it on any
    menu and google doesnt get me any info on how to start it up. Also, their
    documentation doesnt tell you either (found that on the web).
    Thanks
    Eric

  7. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:58:15 -0800, Eric wrote:
    > What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    I just do a
    urpmi --wget imap --auto

    /etc/postfix/aliases at around the 11'th line from the bottom modified to
    root: bittwister

    postalias aliases
    service postfix restart

    Thunderbird has the node's short name for in/out server and any mail
    to root shows up in bittwister's inbox.

  8. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:58:15 -0800, Eric wrote:
    >> What are people using for pop3 with postfix on mandriva 2008.0?

    > I just do a
    > urpmi --wget imap --auto
    >
    > /etc/postfix/aliases at around the 11'th line from the bottom modified to
    > root: bittwister
    >
    > postalias aliases
    > service postfix restart
    >

    > Thunderbird has the node's short name for in/out server and any mail
    > to root shows up in bittwister's inbox.

    YEAH! the correct imap fixed it
    urpmi --wget imap --auto
    was the solution
    i had my alias file already set corectly
    Thanks bittwister
    Eric

  9. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 15:38:55 -0500, Eric wrote:

    > Which imap rpm? There's a lot.

    $ rpm -q -i imap
    Name : imap Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 2006j Vendor: Mandriva
    Release : 1mdv2008.0 Build Date: Mon 06 Aug 2007 08:13:03 AM EDT
    Install Date: Mon 15 Oct 2007 05:35:17 PM EDT Build Host: n5.mandriva.com
    Group : System/Servers Source RPM: imap-2006j-1mdv2008.0.src.rpm
    Size : 7037032 License: Apache License
    Signature : DSA/SHA1, Thu 04 Oct 2007 07:58:08 PM EDT, Key ID e7898ae070771ff3
    Packager : Oden Eriksson

    > Do you know how to start postfixadmin? I installed it but cant find it on any

    I haven't used it, but from a quick look at the rpm description, and list of
    filenames, it looks like you must have a webserver, such as apache, installed
    and running, with php support. Also, mysql has to be running, and setup. Then
    go to http://127.0.0.1/postfixadmin/admin/index.php

    It looks like it's intended for maintaining postfix accounts, for an isp.
    For simply accessing the local mailbox via pop3, use "urpmi imap". Then
    make sure the service is enabled in /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3, and all other
    pop3 servers (if you've installed any), are disabled.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 15:57:03 -0500, Eric wrote:

    > YEAH! the correct imap fixed it

    Good. Looks like you can ignore the response I posted a few seconds
    ago.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 15:57:03 -0500, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> YEAH! the correct imap fixed it

    > Good. Looks like you can ignore the response I posted a few seconds
    > ago.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks anyway Dave
    Eric

  12. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Eric wrote:
    > I have 96 cron messages in /var/spool/mail/ that i can see
    > and read and delete with "mail" from the console but i cant get to
    > them with thunderbird.

    I see you have found a solution, but I have a different suggestion:
    tell postfix to pass email to procmail.

    I use mutt
    http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/
    for my MUA, so it is easy (using mutt) to switch directories to
    /var/spool/mail/
    then select my mailbox, but to make email (from msec, for example,
    after aliasing root to my userid) show up in my default mailbox,
    I put the line
    mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
    in
    /etc/postfix/main.cf

    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1606

    It is a good idea to make a backup copy of main.cf before editing it,
    like this (as root) for example:
    cp /etc/postfix/main.cf /etc/postfix/main.cf.Eric

    If you do the above, wait until sometime after 3:00am (when msec does
    its checks) to see the emails in your default mailbox.

  13. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:21:31 -0800, Scott B. wrote:

    > If you do the above, wait until sometime after 3:00am (when msec does
    > its checks) to see the emails in your default mailbox.

    Or as root, do a

    mail -s "testshot" root < /dev/null

    The null body testshot mail message should be ready to see if it went
    it should have gone.

  14. Re: what pop3 daemon to use with postfix

    Scott B. wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> I have 96 cron messages in /var/spool/mail/ that i can see
    >> and read and delete with "mail" from the console but i cant get to
    >> them with thunderbird.

    > I see you have found a solution, but I have a different suggestion:
    > tell postfix to pass email to procmail.
    >
    > I use mutt
    > http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/
    > for my MUA, so it is easy (using mutt) to switch directories to
    > /var/spool/mail/
    > then select my mailbox, but to make email (from msec, for example,
    > after aliasing root to my userid) show up in my default mailbox,
    > I put the line
    > mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
    > in
    > /etc/postfix/main.cf
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1606
    >
    > It is a good idea to make a backup copy of main.cf before editing it,
    > like this (as root) for example:
    > cp /etc/postfix/main.cf /etc/postfix/main.cf.Eric
    >
    > If you do the above, wait until sometime after 3:00am (when msec does
    > its checks) to see the emails in your default mailbox.

    that mailbox_command is a good tip -
    Thanks
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread