pop3/fetchmail problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on pop3/fetchmail problem - Mandriva ; Hi, My server was running fine until I restart it. Now I'm getting a pop3/fetchmail error and users are not getting their mail. Here's a snippet from syslog: Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: getaddrinfo("pop. .com","pop3") error: Name or service not ...

  1. pop3/fetchmail problem

    Hi,

    My server was running fine until I restart it. Now I'm getting a
    pop3/fetchmail error and users are not getting their mail.

    Here's a snippet from syslog:
    Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: getaddrinfo("pop.
    .com","pop3") error: Name or service not known

    Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: POP3 connection to pop.
    .com failed: Success

    Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

    imap, imaps, ipop2, ipop3 and pop3s are all set to "start when
    requested" according to mcc/services.

    What's going on?

    This is ML 2008.0

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. Re: pop3/fetchmail problem

    Frank Dreyfus wrote in
    news:Xns9A575369DAD6Cadfslur0mdoaur03jadl@207.115. 33.102:

    > My server was running fine until I restart it. Now I'm getting a
    > pop3/fetchmail error and users are not getting their mail.

    Hi,

    The error seems to have resolved itself, at least for now.

    Users are getting mail and the errors in syslog are no longer happening.

    I didn't do anything to fix this!

    Any idea what was wrong? Could it have been a problem at the other end
    (i.e. the host that fetchmail was accessing?)

    Thanks,

    Frank

  3. Re: pop3/fetchmail problem

    Frank Dreyfus writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My server was running fine until I restart it. Now I'm getting a
    > pop3/fetchmail error and users are not getting their mail.
    >
    > Here's a snippet from syslog:
    > Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: getaddrinfo("pop.
    > .com","pop3") error: Name or service not known
    >
    > Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: POP3 connection to pop.
    > .com failed: Success
    >
    > Mar 4 07:57:32 pti fetchmail[6260]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
    >

    > imap, imaps, ipop2, ipop3 and pop3s are all set to "start when
    > requested" according to mcc/services.
    >
    > What's going on?

    Probably temporary DNS error.

    man getaddrinfo

    says:

    EAI_NONAME
    The node or service is not known. This error is also returned
    if both node and service are NULL.

  4. Re: pop3/fetchmail problem

    Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > Frank Dreyfus wrote in
    > news:Xns9A575369DAD6Cadfslur0mdoaur03jadl@207.115. 33.102:
    >
    >> My server was running fine until I restart it. Now I'm getting a
    >> pop3/fetchmail error and users are not getting their mail.

    > Hi,
    >
    > The error seems to have resolved itself, at least for now.
    >
    > Users are getting mail and the errors in syslog are no longer happening.
    >
    > I didn't do anything to fix this!
    >
    > Any idea what was wrong? Could it have been a problem at the other end
    > (i.e. the host that fetchmail was accessing?)

    You did try to ping or nslookup the pophost in question, during the outage?
    Maybe it was a (un)scheduled downtime - you may find info on their website?

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  5. Re: pop3/fetchmail problem

    Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > The error seems to have resolved itself, at least for now.
    >
    > Users are getting mail and the errors in syslog are no longer happening.
    >
    > I didn't do anything to fix this!
    >
    > Any idea what was wrong? Could it have been a problem at the other end
    > (i.e. the host that fetchmail was accessing?)

    Btw., mailserver outages these days are a blessing. No spam. People actually
    doing their pent-up work. No complaints (at least as long as the
    trouble-ticket system is based on mail).

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread