Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Solved - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Solved - Mandriva ; Just in case someone else trips over this problem down the road.... After many, many hours of tweaking, downloading, updating, and just plain cussing, I found the solution purely by accident. If you remember, the error messages when I tried ...

  1. Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Solved

    Just in case someone else trips over this problem
    down the road....

    After many, many hours of tweaking, downloading,
    updating, and just plain cussing, I found the
    solution purely by accident.

    If you remember, the error messages when I tried
    to launch Galeon, Sylpheed, and all other GNOME-
    based apps while in KDE refered to themes not
    having names or directories.

    It turns out the problem was with the ICON
    set I had chosen to use in KDE. I was using
    KDEclassic, which is what caused the apps to
    crash and burn. I switched my preferences in
    KDE to some other icon set (Slick icons IIRC),
    and then launched the apps and they were
    perfectly happy finding and using those icons.

    Not very open and friendly of GNOME to refuse
    to use perfectly fine KDE icons.

    In case anyone was wondering how I tripped over
    the cure, I was in the GNOME wm trying to do
    some online stuff, and was changing the icon
    set from the crappy looking default to, you
    guessed it, KDEclassic and suddenly Galeon
    crashed. And I could no longer launch any of
    the GNOME apps even though I was *in* GNOME.
    Closed GNOME, went into KDE, changed icons,
    and now I'm a semi-happy camper.

    Now on to finding the cause of my other problems
    (soundcard, autofs, and no access to DVD or CD)
    which I have a feeling are all rooted in the same
    thing: udev.

    Thoughts on udev or soundcards in 2007.0 will be
    welcomed.

    Nyssa, who after 25 years living with UNIX is
    finding Linux more of a challenge than anticipated

  2. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Solved

    Nyssa wrote:

    > Just in case someone else trips over this problem
    > down the road....
    >
    > After many, many hours of tweaking, downloading,
    > updating, and just plain cussing, I found the
    > solution purely by accident.
    >
    > If you remember, the error messages when I tried
    > to launch Galeon, Sylpheed, and all other GNOME-
    > based apps while in KDE refered to themes not
    > having names or directories.
    >
    > It turns out the problem was with the ICON
    > set I had chosen to use in KDE. I was using
    > KDEclassic, which is what caused the apps to
    > crash and burn. I switched my preferences in
    > KDE to some other icon set (Slick icons IIRC),
    > and then launched the apps and they were
    > perfectly happy finding and using those icons.
    >
    > Not very open and friendly of GNOME to refuse
    > to use perfectly fine KDE icons.
    >
    > In case anyone was wondering how I tripped over
    > the cure, I was in the GNOME wm trying to do
    > some online stuff, and was changing the icon
    > set from the crappy looking default to, you
    > guessed it, KDEclassic and suddenly Galeon
    > crashed. And I could no longer launch any of
    > the GNOME apps even though I was *in* GNOME.
    > Closed GNOME, went into KDE, changed icons,
    > and now I'm a semi-happy camper.
    >
    > Now on to finding the cause of my other problems
    > (soundcard, autofs, and no access to DVD or CD)
    > which I have a feeling are all rooted in the same
    > thing: udev.
    >
    > Thoughts on udev or soundcards in 2007.0 will be
    > welcomed.
    >
    > Nyssa, who after 25 years living with UNIX is
    > finding Linux more of a challenge than anticipated

    Interesting that the other icons are all provided by KDE as well.

    On no access to CD/DVD, a couple of leads. If you have trouble playing
    audio CDs, I added myself to the "audio" group.

    I am running 2008 Spring Beta 2, and its version of K3B has a problem
    burning CDs/DVDs. An Ubuntu thread has a fix, but something has wiped my
    Firefox history. But the one in 2007.0 was O.K.

    Doug.

  3. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Solved

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Nyssa wrote:
    >

    >> Now on to finding the cause of my other problems
    >> (soundcard, autofs, and no access to DVD or CD)
    >> which I have a feeling are all rooted in the same
    >> thing: udev.
    >>
    >> Thoughts on udev or soundcards in 2007.0 will be
    >> welcomed.
    >>
    >> Nyssa, who after 25 years living with UNIX is
    >> finding Linux more of a challenge than anticipated

    > Interesting that the other icons are all provided by KDE as well.
    >
    > On no access to CD/DVD, a couple of leads. If you have trouble playing
    > audio CDs, I added myself to the "audio" group.
    >
    > I am running 2008 Spring Beta 2, and its version of K3B has a problem
    > burning CDs/DVDs. An Ubuntu thread has a fix, but something has wiped my
    > Firefox history. But the one in 2007.0 was O.K.
    >
    > Doug.

    Yes, I'm already listed in the audio group as
    well as a couple of other related groups such
    as cdrom and cdrw just in case.

    When I attempt to mount either the CD or DVD
    to read a disk, I get access denied even as
    root. The soundcard doesn't even enter into
    that problem. I haven't even had a chance to
    try K3B, which I had used under 10.0 with no
    problem.

    As for the soundcard, udev seems to enjoy
    deleting the /dev/audio file on each boot.
    I created the file by running sndconfig on
    a SB AWE64 card. Between udev and a possible
    problem with the sbawe kernel module, I've
    got my hands full. Running udevinfo on it
    shows it's there, but isn't recognized as
    existing on boot.

    Autofs stopped working correctly after I
    downloaded the update. Go figure.

    Oh well, one problem solved and a stack more
    are waiting. Back to the wars.

    Nyssa, who wishes she were getting paid by the
    hour for this mess

+ Reply to Thread