Strange language on menu bar - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Strange language on menu bar - Mandriva ; Hi, The calender item on the KDE taskbar is in a strange language. It looks Cyrillic. This is the item just to the right of the time. When I hoover the mouse over it, it displays the correct day and ...

  1. Strange language on menu bar

    Hi,

    The calender item on the KDE taskbar is in a strange language. It looks
    Cyrillic.

    This is the item just to the right of the time.

    When I hoover the mouse over it, it displays the correct day and date in
    English.

    When I click on it I get the calender in English.

    But the text on the taskbar, for this one item, isn't English.

    The only language I've selected is U.S. English.

    I can't find an option to fix this.

    Please help,

    Frank

  2. Re: Strange language on menu bar

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:49:42 -0500, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > The calender item on the KDE taskbar is in a strange language. It looks
    > Cyrillic.
    > This is the item just to the right of the time.

    The only kde "calendar" app I have is korganizer, which only has an icon
    on the task bar. You'll really have to provide more information.

    What version of Mandriva?
    What version of kde?
    What calendar program?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Strange language on menu bar

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in
    newsp.t7gmhxgza3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net:

    > What version of Mandriva? 2008.0
    > What version of kde? Whatever comes with 2008.0
    > What calendar program? Seems to be the KDE Clock app

    Hi David,

    OK, it is the KDE Clock app. And, the funny text next to the clock is
    the time zone (but read on).

    If I right click on the clock (on the taskbar) and select "Show time
    zone". The default seems to be "Local time zone". That choice gives me
    the funny text. If I select "America/New York" which happens to be my
    local time zone then the funny text changes to "New York".

    The thing is that whatever shows up for "Local time zone" is either dead
    wrong or in the wrong language.

    My timezone setting is correct at "America/New York".

    Thanks for your help,

    Frank

  4. Re: Strange language on menu bar

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:02:50 -0500, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > OK, it is the KDE Clock app. And, the funny text next to the clock is
    > the time zone (but read on).

    Ok. There was a bug in the clock applet, in the initial release of 2008.0,
    which stopped it from saving configuration updates properly, resulting in
    many clock_panelapplet_$RANDOMSTRING_rc files being created in
    ~/.kde/share/config

    Try removing the clock applet, deleting all of those files, and then re-adding
    it, to the taskbar.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Strange language on menu bar

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in
    newsp.t7gwo2f6a3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net:

    > Try removing the clock applet, deleting all of those files, and then
    > re-adding it, to the taskbar.

    That fixed it!

    Thanks,

    Frank