Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1 - Mandriva ; Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing. Can this be done more simply than a full download? I tried downloading the "all" image as suggested in the Wiki. I did get an installer, but its GRUB entry couldn't ...

  1. Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing. Can this
    be done more simply than a full download? I tried downloading the "all"
    image as suggested in the Wiki. I did get an installer, but its GRUB entry
    couldn't find a partition. I couldn't find separate "alt0" images for RC1,
    so I used the ones under the Beta.

    I assume that there is more to it than just changing the RPM sources?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:39:13 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing.

    Keep in mind, I always install all package groups except LSB and ICEwm and
    Other Graphical Desktops plus a few other packages from
    Individual package selection so your update could be less.

    http://images.howtoforge.com/images/...8.0/big/14.png

    > Can this be done more simply than a full download?

    I do not see how, unless you happen to have kept your 2008.1 cooker
    install up to date.

    > I tried downloading the "all"
    > image as suggested in the Wiki. I did get an installer, but its GRUB entry
    > couldn't find a partition. I couldn't find separate "alt0" images for RC1,
    > so I used the ones under the Beta.

    I just burn the iso's i586/install/images/boot.iso and boot it.
    I have a /local/spare directory where the dvd.iso is stored.
    It is on sdb first partition.

    When boot.iso is loaded, I pick /dev/sdb, then sdb1 then enter /spare.

    I select the dvd.iso and the install proceeds like normal burnt media.

    > I assume that there is more to it than just changing the RPM sources?

    I have been using the same cooker mirror for alpha 1, alpha 2 and beta 1.
    I do a clean install from downloaded dvd iso.

    /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg snippet follows:

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/release
    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release
    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/non-free/release

  3. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:39:13 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing.

    > Keep in mind, I always install all package groups except LSB and ICEwm and
    > Other Graphical Desktops plus a few other packages from
    > Individual package selection so your update could be less.

    http://images.howtoforge.com/images/...8.0/big/14.png

    >> Can this be done more simply than a full download?

    > I do not see how, unless you happen to have kept your 2008.1 cooker
    > install up to date.
    >
    >> I tried downloading the "all"
    >> image as suggested in the Wiki. I did get an installer, but its GRUB
    >> entry
    >> couldn't find a partition. I couldn't find separate "alt0" images for
    >> RC1, so I used the ones under the Beta.

    > I just burn the iso's i586/install/images/boot.iso and boot it.
    > I have a /local/spare directory where the dvd.iso is stored.
    > It is on sdb first partition.
    >
    > When boot.iso is loaded, I pick /dev/sdb, then sdb1 then enter /spare.
    >
    > I select the dvd.iso and the install proceeds like normal burnt media.
    >

    >> I assume that there is more to it than just changing the RPM sources?

    > I have been using the same cooker mirror for alpha 1, alpha 2 and beta 1.
    > I do a clean install from downloaded dvd iso.
    >
    > /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg snippet follows:
    >
    > pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/release

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/non-free/release

    Thanks. The Beta 2 works, so I might as well leave it until the final
    release.

    Doug.

  4. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:39:13 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing.

    > Keep in mind, I always install all package groups except LSB and ICEwm and
    > Other Graphical Desktops plus a few other packages from
    > Individual package selection so your update could be less.
    >
    > http://images.howtoforge.com/images/...8.0/big/14.png
    >
    >> Can this be done more simply than a full download?

    > I do not see how, unless you happen to have kept your 2008.1 cooker
    > install up to date.

    This prompts a question from me. I have keep my system fully updated
    from Cooker. Updated packages by the hundreds have been coming in
    (FIOS is wonderful) and this evening I got another 49 including a
    new kernel and x11.

    Do I really need to install rc.2? I have downloaded it, and I can
    understand that a clean install would test the new packages
    installer as well as provide the new system software, but I
    kind of like keeping configurations in place.

    Can I just plow ahead with Cooker by constantly updating? I do
    have repositories selected for main, main update, main32, main32
    update, contib, contrib update, free and nonfree, and plf free
    and non free -- everything in fact except the repositories
    specifically identified as Testing.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:53:13 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > This prompts a question from me. I have keep my system fully updated
    > from Cooker. Updated packages by the hundreds have been coming in
    > (FIOS is wonderful) and this evening I got another 49 including a
    > new kernel and x11.

    Guess I will have to boot rc1, they show my "at" fixed but it was
    still broke on rc1. I am staying on 2008.0 until they can fix
    "at" in 2008.1 RCx.

    > Do I really need to install rc.2? I have downloaded it, and I can
    > understand that a clean install would test the new packages
    > installer as well as provide the new system software, but I
    > kind of like keeping configurations in place.

    I hear where you are coming from, but as I showed in another post,
    a programmer looking into my "at" problem showed it worked.
    He then did a clean install and it did not work.

    > Can I just plow ahead with Cooker by constantly updating?

    Hey, your choice. Since I am going to do a clean install of 2008.1
    Official, I want to see my Gotcha's early as possible. :-8

    You have already seen what happens with one of the kde apps needing
    some cleaning to get it to play nice in another reply today.

    > I do have repositories selected for main, main update, main32,
    > main32 update, contib, contrib update, free and nonfree, and plf
    > free and non free -- everything in fact except the repositories
    > specifically identified as Testing.

    That brings up a question from me.

    Is Testing before or after Cooker?

  6. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > That brings up a question from me.
    > Is Testing before or after Cooker?

    Neither. It is entirely separate.

    It consists of packages put out for testing before
    going into backports. I am not sure even backports
    is pertinent for Cooker systems, but I am willing
    to take backport packages if available.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 01:57:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> That brings up a question from me.
    >> Is Testing before or after Cooker?

    > Neither. It is entirely separate.
    >
    > It consists of packages put out for testing before
    > going into backports. I am not sure even backports
    > is pertinent for Cooker systems, but I am willing
    > to take backport packages if available.

    I was thinking, testing instead of cooker for 2008.1.
    Maybe a bit more stable.

    Oh By The Way,

    Yea, my "at" and sound problems are fixed.

    Noticed urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto is broke again on 2008.1

    I have reported the problem before and it was fixed for awhile.
    Maybe it was fixed in tonight's updates. Mine was 89 packages.

    I am going to user a script from now on,

    #************* get_updates *************************************

    urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto

    #************************************************* ***
    # If above works, next two should not have any updates,
    # if they do, the above is still broke.
    #************************************************* ***

    urpmi.update --wget -a
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    #************* end get_updates *********************************

  8. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 01:57:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> That brings up a question from me.
    >>> Is Testing before or after Cooker?

    >> Neither. It is entirely separate.
    >>
    >> It consists of packages put out for testing before
    >> going into backports. I am not sure even backports
    >> is pertinent for Cooker systems, but I am willing
    >> to take backport packages if available.

    > I was thinking, testing instead of cooker for 2008.1.
    > Maybe a bit more stable.
    >
    > Oh By The Way,
    >
    > Yea, my "at" and sound problems are fixed.
    >
    > Noticed urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto is broke again on
    > 2008.1
    >
    > I have reported the problem before and it was fixed for awhile.
    > Maybe it was fixed in tonight's updates. Mine was 89 packages.
    >
    > I am going to user a script from now on,
    >
    > #************* get_updates *************************************
    >
    > urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto
    >
    > #************************************************* ***
    > # If above works, next two should not have any updates,
    > # if they do, the above is still broke.
    > #************************************************* ***
    >
    > urpmi.update --wget -a
    > urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto
    >
    > #************* end get_updates *********************************

    The Wiki (somewhere) says that when the final release comes out, we have to
    choose. If you leave the Cooker repositories, you will still follow the
    development of Cooker. If you want the stable release, you need to change
    your repositories. I don't know whether that is pertinent to your
    discussion.

    Doug.

  9. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:22:43 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The Wiki (somewhere) says that when the final release comes out, we have to
    > choose.

    Yep, and I have seen some people get a supprise when using the /current/
    mirror when it flips to new official release. :-D

    For me, I do a clean install. One step in my install instructions is
    to run my set_mirror script.
    It parses /etc/release and set mirrors based on it's contents.

    Here you can see it has
    $ cat /2008_1/etc/release
    Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Cooker) for i586

    Where as the official has
    $ cat /2008_0/etc/release

    You can parse /etc/release with

    _type=official # set default type of release

    set -- $(cat /etc/release)
    _release=$4
    shift $(($# - 1))
    _arch=$1

    #************************************************* ****
    #* If Cooker load, change type and release
    #************************************************* ****

    _rtn=$(grep -c Cooker /etc/release )
    if [ $_rtn -gt 0 ] ; then
    _type=devel
    _release=cooker
    fi

    Now you can play with the location. Instead of hard coding values like
    linux/mandrake/official/2008.0/i586/media/main/updates
    and you use something like
    linux/mandrake/$_type/$_release/$_arch/media/main/updates
    in your urpmi.addmedia string.

    For any lurkers wondering what the code snippet is doing, suggested reading:
    man test
    man shift
    man grep
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    Or just get the mirror values from
    http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/

  10. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Noticed urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto is broke again on 2008.1
    >
    > I have reported the problem before and it was fixed for awhile.
    > Maybe it was fixed in tonight's updates. Mine was 89 packages.
    >
    > I am going to user a script from now on,
    >
    > #************* get_updates *************************************
    >
    > urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto
    >
    > #************************************************* ***
    > # If above works, next two should not have any updates,
    > # if they do, the above is still broke.
    > #************************************************* ***
    >
    > urpmi.update --wget -a
    > urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto
    >
    > #************* end get_updates *********************************

    Attempted to update with the following in a script. It failed.

    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto

    Then attempted to update with the get_updates script above. I have
    139 packages coming down. This is still 2008.1 Beta plus all updates
    available anywhere except Testing; 64-bit machine.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 02:13:08 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Then attempted to update with the get_updates script above. I have
    > 139 packages coming down. This is still 2008.1 Beta plus all updates
    > available anywhere except Testing; 64-bit machine.

    They are working hard at it. I had an 81 pkg update this morning, and just had
    a 87 pkg update. Finished those on the first part of the script,
    second part managed to pop in 2 more which was for urpmi.

    Saw a amarok update.
    Running 32 bit install.

  12. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 02:13:08 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Then attempted to update with the get_updates script above. I have
    > 139 packages coming down. This is still 2008.1 Beta plus all updates
    > available anywhere except Testing; 64-bit machine.

    As an Oh, By the Way, I found a perl module package missing which I would not
    have know about if I had done an update instead of a clean install.

    No idea if running that old perl-Email-Date module would have cause
    problems running in the new environment.

    Did not find that problem until I noticed my 4am bittwister cron job
    did not send out my humor/fyi email notices.

  13. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:39:13 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> Reading Bit Twister's thread, only 64 packages needed replacing.

    >> Keep in mind, I always install all package groups except LSB and ICEwm
    >> and Other Graphical Desktops plus a few other packages from
    >> Individual package selection so your update could be less.

    http://images.howtoforge.com/images/...8.0/big/14.png

    >>> Can this be done more simply than a full download?

    >> I do not see how, unless you happen to have kept your 2008.1 cooker
    >> install up to date.
    >>
    >>> I tried downloading the "all"
    >>> image as suggested in the Wiki. I did get an installer, but its GRUB
    >>> entry
    >>> couldn't find a partition. I couldn't find separate "alt0" images for
    >>> RC1, so I used the ones under the Beta.

    >> I just burn the iso's i586/install/images/boot.iso and boot it.
    >> I have a /local/spare directory where the dvd.iso is stored.
    >> It is on sdb first partition.
    >>
    >> When boot.iso is loaded, I pick /dev/sdb, then sdb1 then enter /spare.
    >>
    >> I select the dvd.iso and the install proceeds like normal burnt media.
    >>

    >>> I assume that there is more to it than just changing the RPM sources?

    >> I have been using the same cooker mirror for alpha 1, alpha 2 and beta 1.
    >> I do a clean install from downloaded dvd iso.
    >>
    >> /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg snippet follows:

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/release

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release

    pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/non-free/release

    > Thanks. The Beta 2 works, so I might as well leave it until the final
    > release.
    >
    > Doug.

    But your comment about repositories brings me back to my first question. RC
    1 iso's are in a separate directory, but there seems to be only one
    repository of packages for all Cooker. If so, I can install the new
    packages with Mandriva Update and have RC 1 afterward? The answer seems to
    be No because of the installer configuration, but you have used the same
    boot.iso at each level.

    Doug.

  14. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:00:19 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > But your comment about repositories brings me back to my first question. RC
    > 1 iso's are in a separate directory, but there seems to be only one
    > repository of packages for all Cooker.

    Yes.

    > If so, I can install the new packages with Mandriva Update and have
    > RC 1 afterward?

    That is how I mis-understand it.

    > The answer seems to be No because of the installer configuration,

    Now I am lost. Mirror location dictates what packages can be installed.
    ......./mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/.....

    Only control options there are devel/cooker and i586 if you want 32 bit
    or x86_64 if you want 64 bit packages.

    > but you have used the same boot.iso at each level.

    Not, quite, I burn boot.iso to media from the loop mounted dvd.iso.
    boot.iso may or may not be the same.

  15. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:00:19 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >> But your comment about repositories brings me back to my first question.
    >> RC 1 iso's are in a separate directory, but there seems to be only one
    >> repository of packages for all Cooker.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If so, I can install the new packages with Mandriva Update and have
    >> RC 1 afterward?

    > That is how I mis-understand it.
    >
    >> The answer seems to be No because of the installer configuration,

    > Now I am lost. Mirror location dictates what packages can be installed.
    > ....../mandrivalinux/devel/cooker/i586/.....
    >
    > Only control options there are devel/cooker and i586 if you want 32 bit
    > or x86_64 if you want 64 bit packages.
    >
    >> but you have used the same boot.iso at each level.

    > Not, quite, I burn boot.iso to media from the loop mounted dvd.iso.
    > boot.iso may or may not be the same.

    Sorry to drag this out. I downloaded R.C. 1 One with KDE and hoped to be
    able to upgrade from that. The only option I saw was a fresh install. One
    was a very good demo disk, but the Operating System from it, although it
    works well, is a bit of a mess. KDE's repeat function on the spacebar was
    disabled (I simply enabled the defaults. My existing /home should have
    taken care of that.) I am user doug and group guest (wouldn't matter to a
    GUI user. From the setup of RPMdrake to default to GUI apps, that is
    clearly the target audience.) I now have the choice of downloading the RC
    1 DVD or installing beta 2 again. I couldn't add the beta 2 DVD as a
    medium, and if I could have, the packages were mostly out of date, so
    plainly I should download the RC 1 DVD. The last DVD took me 2 GB over my
    monthly bandwidth limit of 12 GB. Personally, I don't like getting into
    RPMDrake and having to stop while it downloads all the .lzma packages for
    the hundredth time, but Cooker may be worse in that regard. I will keep my
    present working system and gradually download the DVD.

    Metisse worked for once, but I don't really like 3D or use it. I admit that
    it was fascinating watching the desktop pager peel out of the way when the
    mouse got near it. I haven't got into the habit of using more than one
    desktop, but I should. The manager at my wife's last job was well known
    for having so many apps running at once that the network server slowed down
    (under Windows XP/Vista.)

    Doug.

  16. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 01:59:04 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Sorry to drag this out. I downloaded R.C. 1 One with KDE and hoped to be
    > able to upgrade from that. The only option I saw was a fresh install. One
    > was a very good demo disk, but the Operating System from it, although it
    > works well, is a bit of a mess.

    I have seen a few bugs on 2008.1 One.

    Every once in awhile I'll go to
    https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi and click View bugs reported today then
    click Edit Search
    and enter a starting date in the "Bug Changes" and a carriage return
    just to see how it's going.

    > I now have the choice of downloading the RC
    > 1 DVD or installing beta 2 again. I couldn't add the beta 2 DVD as a
    > medium, and if I could have, the packages were mostly out of date, so
    > plainly I should download the RC 1 DVD. The last DVD took me 2 GB over my
    > monthly bandwidth limit of 12 GB.

    Yeouch. Seems it's about 100+ packages a day updates to cooker.

    Personally, I don't like getting into
    > RPMDrake and having to stop while it downloads all the .lzma packages for
    > the hundredth time, but Cooker may be worse in that regard. I will keep my
    > present working system and gradually download the DVD.

    Maybe you should wait for RC2
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development

  17. Re: Upgrading from Beta 2 to R.C. 1

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 01:59:04 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry to drag this out. I downloaded R.C. 1 One with KDE and hoped to be
    >> able to upgrade from that. The only option I saw was a fresh install.
    >> One was a very good demo disk, but the Operating System from it, although
    >> it works well, is a bit of a mess.

    > I have seen a few bugs on 2008.1 One.
    >
    > Every once in awhile I'll go to
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi and click View bugs reported today
    > then click Edit Search
    > and enter a starting date in the "Bug Changes" and a carriage return
    > just to see how it's going.
    >

    >> I now have the choice of downloading the RC
    >> 1 DVD or installing beta 2 again. I couldn't add the beta 2 DVD as a
    >> medium, and if I could have, the packages were mostly out of date, so
    >> plainly I should download the RC 1 DVD. The last DVD took me 2 GB over
    >> my monthly bandwidth limit of 12 GB.

    > Yeouch. Seems it's about 100+ packages a day updates to cooker.
    >
    > Personally, I don't like getting into
    >> RPMDrake and having to stop while it downloads all the .lzma packages for
    >> the hundredth time, but Cooker may be worse in that regard. I will keep
    >> my present working system and gradually download the DVD.

    > Maybe you should wait for RC2
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development

    An option, if bandwidth is limited, is to download the boot.iso and do a
    network install. That way only the packages that you want to install will
    be downloaded. (The DVD contains KDE plus Gnome plus a host of other
    packages that you probably don't want.)

    BTW you can control when the xml-info files are downloaded. In the Media
    Manager/Options/Global Options/XML meta-data download policy.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread