system control panel - Mandriva

This is a discussion on system control panel - Mandriva ; I had to re install Mandriva 2007 because of a hard drive failure. Now I cannot find an option on the main menu for the system control panel; not the KDE control panel, but the system control panel. It used ...

  1. system control panel

    I had to re install Mandriva 2007 because of a hard drive failure. Now
    I cannot find an option on the main menu for the system control panel;
    not the KDE control panel, but the system control panel. It used to be
    listed as "configure your computer" or something like that. Any ideas?
    George

  2. Re: system control panel

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:06:47 -0800 (PST), George wrote:
    > I had to re install Mandriva 2007 because of a hard drive failure.

    How, sad, You might want to read
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/productlifetime

    > Now
    > I cannot find an option on the main menu for the system control panel;
    > not the KDE control panel, but the system control panel. It used to be
    > listed as "configure your computer" or something like that. Any ideas?
    > George

    make sure it is installed, click up a terminal (root) with
    su - root
    mcc

    If that works, and there is still nothing under
    System-->Configuration--Configure your computer (towards bottom)

    then in the root terminal
    update-menus -v

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  3. Re: system control panel

    George wrote:
    > I had to re install Mandriva 2007 because of a hard drive failure. Now
    > I cannot find an option on the main menu for the system control panel;
    > not the KDE control panel, but the system control panel. It used to be
    > listed as "configure your computer" or something like that. Any ideas?
    > George

    Try, in a terminal window, /usr/bin/drakconf
    or mcc. In 2007, it may have been /usr/sbin/drakconf.

    Then make an icon for your desktop or toolbar, or
    add it to your menus.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: system control panel

    On Mar 2, 7:22 pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > George wrote:
    > > I had to re install Mandriva 2007 because of a hard drive failure. Now
    > > I cannot find an option on the main menu for thesystemcontrolpanel;
    > > not the KDE controlpanel, but thesystemcontrolpanel. It used to be
    > > listed as "configure your computer" or something like that. Any ideas?
    > > George

    > Try, in a terminal window, /usr/bin/drakconf
    > or mcc. In 2007, it may have been /usr/sbin/drakconf.
    >
    > Then make an icon for your desktop or toolbar, or
    > add it to your menus.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.

    I tried both suggestions and neither worked for me. Then I tried urpmi
    mcc; that did not work either. So I tried urpmi drakconf, and that
    worked like a charm.
    Thank you.
    George

+ Reply to Thread