URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950?? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950?? - Mandriva ; After successfully installing RC1 on a test machine, I decided to install RC1 on my office machine, an Intel DG33BU and Nvidia 7950. The office machine runs XP, Linux Mint, Sabayon, Fedora and FreeBSD. Partway through the install I noticed ...

  1. URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950??

    After successfully installing RC1 on a test machine, I decided
    to install RC1 on my office machine, an Intel DG33BU and Nvidia
    7950. The office machine runs XP, Linux Mint, Sabayon, Fedora
    and FreeBSD.

    Partway through the install I noticed a burning smell. The
    display was acting up and eventually went dark. I removed the
    side cover and found the video card rather hot, way too hot to
    touch.

    YMMV.
    --
    /u/caf/signature.txt

  2. Re: URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950??

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:00:37 -0500, Chuck Forsberg wrote:

    > Partway through the install I noticed a burning smell. The
    > display was acting up and eventually went dark. I removed the
    > side cover and found the video card rather hot, way too hot to
    > touch.

    If you can pull the hard drive, and put it in another system, check to
    see what the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for HorizSync, and VertRefresh.
    If they are in the proper range, then I expect it's just a bad co-incidence.
    If they are out of range, report it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950??

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:50:37 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:00:37 -0500, Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Partway through the install I noticed a burning smell. The display was
    >> acting up and eventually went dark. I removed the side cover and found
    >> the video card rather hot, way too hot to touch.

    > If you can pull the hard drive, and put it in another system, check to
    > see what the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for HorizSync, and
    > VertRefresh. If they are in the proper range, then I expect it's just a
    > bad co-incidence. If they are out of range, report it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    This happened during the install. Only a few directories had been
    written. No /etc/X11 directory. No xorg.conf of course.

    --
    /u/caf/signature.txt

  4. Re: URGENT - RC1 Cooks Nvidia 7950??

    Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:50:37 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:00:37 -0500, Chuck Forsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Partway through the install I noticed a burning smell. The display was
    >>> acting up and eventually went dark. I removed the side cover and found
    >>> the video card rather hot, way too hot to touch.

    >> If you can pull the hard drive, and put it in another system, check to
    >> see what the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for HorizSync, and
    >> VertRefresh. If they are in the proper range, then I expect it's just a
    >> bad co-incidence. If they are out of range, report it.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > This happened during the install. Only a few directories had been
    > written. No /etc/X11 directory. No xorg.conf of course.

    During the installation, were you using text mode or graphics mode? If
    the former it is almost certainly a coincidence. If the latter, well,
    it's probably still a coincidence, but one worth investigating further.

    I generally use text mode for installation. Couple of reasons why. The
    primary one is that for a relatively new or unusual graphics card it is
    much more likely to work. The second one is that there isn't really any
    better functionality in the graphics mode, so for slightly better
    aesthetics why accept the chance that an installation may fail on a
    graphics glitch?

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread