2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions - Mandriva ; Here are my thoughts on what's up with the 2008.1 cooker Beta 1 recent release, using x86_64 version. - Emerald (under compiz-fusion). Without reason and randomly, most the application border disappears but leaves the top of application border. Moving the ...

  1. 2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions

    Here are my thoughts on what's up with the 2008.1 cooker Beta 1 recent
    release, using x86_64 version.

    - Emerald (under compiz-fusion). Without reason and randomly, most the
    application border disappears but leaves the top of application
    border. Moving the application window or clicking on the border
    restors the whole border. If you have multiple applications open, it
    only seems to affect one application, and at random which one.

    - Clipboard does not appear to work properly. Control+c then highlight
    text to replace then control+v to replace highlighted text, does not
    replace text, but seems to copy the highlighted text that you want to
    replace to clipboard instead. You can only get the original control+c
    text imported if you deleted the text completely that you want to
    replace.

    - Printing. When you send a job to be printed, if the printer is off
    then despite having dual-core machine, both cores start to eat
    processor resourses coming close to 100% and wil stay that high. This
    would normally never happen. Eventually the processor usage goes to
    normal when you switch the printer on and the print daemon sees the
    printer is on.

    - On shutdown, the problem that affects the startup "verbose" option
    of coloured text filling in blank spaces on the first screen full of
    text now affects the shut down screen as well.

    - On logout. When you logout to become a different user, the desktop
    background image of the user just logged off is used, and it's not
    scalled but tiled in some bizar way.

    - On boot. The following text appears in "verbose" mode.
    Starting udev: udev event [2295] node_symlink: device node
    '/dev/rtc' already exists, link to '/dev/rtc0' will not overwrite it

    Other things of note, but not specific to cooker.

    - If you install 3D effects, emerald should also be automatically
    installed.

    - When using Konqueror in su mode, when you delete files they go to
    trash (not the desktop visible trash icon), using Konqueror because
    graphics is easier to new users, the trash cannot be cleared out, you
    can only clear the trash by using the remove command in console.

    I am very impressed that auto-detection and auto-install / setup of a
    new printer works very well.

  2. Re: 2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions

    on Sunday 02 March 2008 21:52
    Darius wrote:

    > Here are my thoughts on what's up with the 2008.1 cooker Beta 1 recent
    > release, using x86_64 version.

    [snip]

    Beta 1 has been superseded twice, by Beta 2 and Release Candidate 1.
    And then RC1 will be superseded by RC2 and then by the real release.

    If you have found bugs report them to Mandriva and they might get
    fixed before 2008.1 is released.

    If you just want things to work install 2008.0 (with updates).

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: 2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Sunday 02 March 2008 21:52
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Darius wrote:
    >
    >> Here are my thoughts on what's up with the 2008.1 cooker Beta 1 recent
    >> release, using x86_64 version.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Beta 1 has been superseded twice, by Beta 2 and Release Candidate 1.
    > And then RC1 will be superseded by RC2 and then by the real release.
    >
    > If you have found bugs report them to Mandriva and they might get
    > fixed before 2008.1 is released.
    >
    > If you just want things to work install 2008.0 (with updates).

    I have found Beta 2/i586 quite O.K., and an alpha build very good for an
    alpha. There was a report of Beta 2/x86_64 having problems. Are the
    x86_64 builds less sturdy?

    Doug.

  4. Re: 2008.1 cooker beta1 opinions

    on Monday 03 March 2008 14:17
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    >> If you just want things to work install 2008.0 (with updates).
    >>

    > I have found Beta 2/i586 quite O.K., and an alpha build very good for an
    > alpha. There was a report of Beta 2/x86_64 having problems. Are the
    > x86_64 builds less sturdy?

    No, I was just pointing out that alpha, beta and rc releases don't
    claim to be stable. If you are happy with them then everything is
    fine. If you are looking for stability you should be using a
    stable release.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.