VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver? - Mandriva ; Anyone using this audio device and driver configuration? I'm having trouble getting sound to work. Its a new machine that I built, everything else is working perfectly except sound. What I need is to compare the modprobe.conf and modules.conf. and ...

  1. VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    Anyone using this audio device and driver configuration? I'm having trouble
    getting sound to work. Its a new machine that I built, everything else is
    working perfectly except sound. What I need is to compare the modprobe.conf
    and modules.conf. and possibly anything else that might be associated with
    this driver.

    Thanks ahead of time.
    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    on Sunday 02 March 2008 13:33
    Rich wrote:

    > Anyone using this audio device and driver configuration? I'm having
    > trouble getting sound to work. Its a new machine that I built, everything
    > else is working perfectly except sound. What I need is to compare the
    > modprobe.conf and modules.conf. and possibly anything else that might be
    > associated with this driver.
    >
    > Thanks ahead of time.
    > Rich

    I'm close, but I saw your other thread and I don't think that we
    are the same. Anyway...

    [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    ->cat /etc/release
    [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    ->lspci -s 4: -v
    04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81e7
    Memory at f8ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
    Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0

    [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    ->
    lsmod | grep snd
    snd_seq_dummy 2564 0
    snd_seq_oss 27648 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 5760 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 42128 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 6156 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 35808 0
    snd_mixer_oss 13568 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_hda_intel 281436 12
    snd_pcm 65544 5 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 17540 5 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 6468 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd 42212 27
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    soundcore 5344 1 snd
    [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    ->

    BTW stick to 2008.0, because 2008.1beta2 is known to be broken,
    and try not to get confused by my two line prompts.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Sunday 02 March 2008 13:33
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Rich wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone using this audio device and driver configuration? I'm having
    >> trouble getting sound to work. Its a new machine that I built, everything
    >> else is working perfectly except sound. What I need is to compare the
    >> modprobe.conf and modules.conf. and possibly anything else that might be
    >> associated with this driver.
    >>
    >> Thanks ahead of time.
    >> Rich

    > I'm close, but I saw your other thread and I don't think that we
    > are the same. Anyway...
    >

    > [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    > ->cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586
    > [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    > ->lspci -s 4: -v
    > 04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    > Controller (rev 10)
    > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81e7
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    > Memory at f8ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    > Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
    > Queue=0/0 Enable-
    > Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
    >
    > [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    > ->
    > lsmod | grep snd
    > snd_seq_dummy 2564 0
    > snd_seq_oss 27648 0
    > snd_seq_midi_event 5760 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 42128 5
    > snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 6156 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 35808 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 13568 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_hda_intel 281436 12
    > snd_pcm 65544 5 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    > snd_timer 17540 5 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    > snd_hwdep 6468 1 snd_hda_intel
    > snd 42212 27

    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    > soundcore 5344 1 snd
    > [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    > ->
    >

    > BTW stick to 2008.0, because 2008.1beta2 is known to be broken,
    > and try not to get confused by my two line prompts.

    Alright now here's mine..... It looks like your the same. Could you copy and
    paste your ect/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    and ect/modprobe.conf.

    Thanks
    Rich

    [evodawg@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/release

    [root@localhost evodawg]# lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8252
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Capabilities: [80] AGP version 3.5

    80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8290
    Memory at fbffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
    Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0

    [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod | grep snd
    snd_seq_dummy 3492 0
    snd_seq_oss 29888 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 6912 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 46800 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 7276 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 37216 0
    snd_mixer_oss 14784 2 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_hda_intel 284732 1
    snd_pcm 69636 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 19652 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 7492 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd 45092 9
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    soundcore 6624 2 snd

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  4. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    on Monday 03 March 2008 01:37
    Rich wrote:

> [...]

    >> [live] /mnt/hd/rc1_2008.1/downloads/isos
    >> ->
    >>

    >> BTW stick to 2008.0, because 2008.1beta2 is known to be broken,
    >> and try not to get confused by my two line prompts.
    >>

    > Alright now here's mine..... It looks like your the same. Could you copy
    > and paste your ect/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    > and ect/modprobe.conf.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rich
    >
    > [evodawg@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586
    >
    > [root@localhost evodawg]# lspci -v
    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M900 Host Bridge
    > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8252
    > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8
    > Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    > Capabilities: [80] AGP version 3.5
    > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    Different host bridge;

    [live] ~
    ->lspci -s 0:0.0
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge

    Different cpu (Sempron), probably a different kernel (vanilla 2.6.24.3)
    although it used to work with the older Mandriva kernels - I don't know
    about the current one.

    > 80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    > Controller (rev 10)
    > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8290

    Different device number.

    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

    Different IRQ.

    > Memory at fbffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

    Different address.

    > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    > Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
    > Queue=0/0 Enable-
    > Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
    >
    > [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod | grep snd
    > snd_seq_dummy 3492 0
    > snd_seq_oss 29888 0
    > snd_seq_midi_event 6912 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 46800 5
    > snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 7276 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 37216 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 14784 2 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_hda_intel 284732 1

    Called once instead of a dozen times. That might be important.

    > snd_pcm 69636 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel

    2 vs 5

    > snd_timer 19652 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm

    2 vs 5

    > snd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    > snd_hwdep 7492 1 snd_hda_intel
    > snd 45092 9

    9 vs 27

    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    > soundcore 6624 2 snd

    2 vs 1

    [live] /etc
    ->cat modules.conf
    # Peter, Fri Jul 22 16:20:51 EST 2005
    # stuff from sensors-detect
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

    # /etc/modules.conf
    # Peter, Thu Jul 21 17:52:50 EST 2005
    #alias net-pf-10 off
    [live] /etc
    ->ls modprobe.d
    blacklist-compat ipw-no-associate.conf snd-usb-audio
    blacklist-mdv Kworld TVanywhereAD
    [live] /etc
    ->cat modprobe.conf
    alias eth0 via_rhine
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel
    install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_via; /sbin/modprobe
    usb_storage; /bin/true
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe
    ehci_hcd; /bin/true
    install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe via82cxxx; /bin/true
    [live] /etc
    ->

    What is actually going wrong?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    Peter D. wrote:
    > What is actually going wrong?

    I get no sound what so ever. Everything checks out ok but no sound. I have
    updated Alsa and all it's associated files and still no sound. I'm just
    thinking about getting a supported sound card. It seems this onboard sound
    card is trouble and not just with linux. And if and when I get it working
    and I load a new kernel will I have to go through all this again? It's just
    really frustrating when you spend good bucks for a machine and part of it
    won't work. Everything else is fine, its just the sound problem. Oh btw I
    just wanted to see what was getting loaded into modprobe and yes yours was
    helpful.

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    on Monday 03 March 2008 14:59
    Rich wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> What is actually going wrong?
    >>

    > I get no sound what so ever.

    The speaker is plugged into the correct socket? The bios is configured
    for the correct number of speaker?

    > Everything checks out ok but no sound. I have
    > updated Alsa and all it's associated files and still no sound. I'm just
    > thinking about getting a supported sound card. It seems this onboard sound
    > card is trouble and not just with linux.

    Hardware problems are really hard to solve in software. >:->

    > And if and when I get it working
    > and I load a new kernel will I have to go through all this again?

    That depends utterly on the nature of your problem. Have you
    tried a vanilla kernel? With 2008.1 the vanilla kernel works
    for me but the Mandriva kernel does not.

    > It's
    > just really frustrating when you spend good bucks for a machine and part
    > of it won't work. Everything else is fine, its just the sound problem. Oh
    > btw I just wanted to see what was getting loaded into modprobe and yes
    > yours was helpful.

    :-)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Monday 03 March 2008 14:59
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Rich wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:
    >>> What is actually going wrong?
    >>>

    >> I get no sound what so ever.

    > The speaker is plugged into the correct socket? The bios is configured
    > for the correct number of speaker?

    Yes and yes
    >> Everything checks out ok but no sound. I have
    >> updated Alsa and all it's associated files and still no sound. I'm just
    >> thinking about getting a supported sound card. It seems this onboard
    >> sound card is trouble and not just with linux.

    > Hardware problems are really hard to solve in software. >:->
    >
    >> And if and when I get it working
    >> and I load a new kernel will I have to go through all this again?

    > That depends utterly on the nature of your problem. Have you
    > tried a vanilla kernel? With 2008.1 the vanilla kernel works
    > for me but the Mandriva kernel does not.

    Been told in another post that 2008.1 is broken and not to load it.

    I just purchase a sound card that should be compatible with 2008. Haven't
    installed it yet but when I do I'll let you know the outcome.
    >> It's
    >> just really frustrating when you spend good bucks for a machine and part
    >> of it won't work. Everything else is fine, its just the sound problem. Oh
    >> btw I just wanted to see what was getting loaded into modprobe and yes
    >> yours was helpful.

    > :-)

    Thanks again for your help

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: VIA High Definition Audio Controller snd_hda_intel driver?

    Rich wrote:

    > Been told in another post that 2008.1 is broken and not to load it.

    Uhm.
    $ cat /etc/version
    2008.1.0 0.7 Tycho
    Linux woodpecker.woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.24.3-2mdvtmbcustom

    Sometimes, as usual in beta releases, something breaks and needs workarounds
    or partially going back to stable programs. But this time, *almost*
    everything I use, seems to work.

    > I just purchase a sound card that should be compatible with 2008. Haven't
    > installed it yet but when I do I'll let you know the outcome.
    >>> It's
    >>> just really frustrating when you spend good bucks for a machine and part
    >>> of it won't work. Everything else is fine, its just the sound problem.
    >>> Oh btw I just wanted to see what was getting loaded into modprobe and
    >>> yes yours was helpful.

    >> :-)
    >>

    > Thanks again for your help
    >
    > Rich

    I built a new PC using a MSI K9N Neo V3 board (athlon5600x2), with a ALC88x
    soundchip. It also says nvidia-hd but uses hd_intel driver.
    Well, what to say, it works *somehow* but not with the 2.6.22 stock kernels,
    it needs alsa-1.0.16.
    And, on my box, it only works mono no matter what I try. When I use the
    stereo balance slider, the master volume automagically goes down to near
    zero ;-/.
    # lsmod|grep snd
    snd_hda_intel 347828 2
    snd_pcm 78724 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 25092 1 snd_pcm
    snd 56740 7 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 9568 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 11528 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

    from lspci -v
    00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP65 High Definition Audio (rev
    a1)
    Subsystem: Unknown device 0888:10ec
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    Memory at fbef8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
    Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

    # lshw
    woodpecker.woodpecker.fdns.net
    product: MS-7369
    vendor: MSI
    version: 1.0
    serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.5 dmi-2.5 smp-1.4 smp

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread