/dev/shm with Mandriva 2008 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on /dev/shm with Mandriva 2008 - Mandriva ; I am running vmware-server 1.04 on a 4 GB Dell desktop running Mandriva 2008. I am experiencing very slow performance on the server. In some research I found a device called /dev/shm is mentioned. If I do an ls /dev/shm ...

  1. /dev/shm with Mandriva 2008

    I am running vmware-server 1.04 on a 4 GB Dell desktop running Mandriva
    2008. I am experiencing very slow performance on the server. In some
    research I found a device called /dev/shm is mentioned. If I do an
    ls /dev/shm on my Mandriva system it does not find anything. Can this
    construct be used on Mandriva 2008 or has it been superseded by anything?
    I'm afraid to try it on my working system for fear it will screw something
    up.

  2. Re: /dev/shm with Mandriva 2008

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:35:53 -0500, BW wrote:

    > 2008. I am experiencing very slow performance on the server. In some
    > research I found a device called /dev/shm is mentioned. If I do an

    If you have the kernel source installed, take a look at
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt

    The dev/shm mountpoint is used with an entry in /etc/fstab. If the
    program uses "POSIX shared memory", then running "mkdir /dev/shm",
    and adding an entry to /etc/fstab with
    shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    may speed things up. Shouldn't hurt to have it, if the program doesn't
    use it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: /dev/shm with Mandriva 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:35:53 -0500, BW wrote:
    >
    >> 2008. I am experiencing very slow performance on the server. In some
    >> research I found a device called /dev/shm is mentioned. If I do an

    > If you have the kernel source installed, take a look at
    > /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt
    >
    > The dev/shm mountpoint is used with an entry in /etc/fstab. If the
    > program uses "POSIX shared memory", then running "mkdir /dev/shm",
    > and adding an entry to /etc/fstab with
    > shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    > may speed things up. Shouldn't hurt to have it, if the program doesn't
    > use it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks! I will follow up on this at work.

  4. Re: /dev/shm with Mandriva 2008

    "BW" wrote in message
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:35:53 -0500, BW wrote:
    >>
    >>> 2008. I am experiencing very slow performance on the server. In some
    >>> research I found a device called /dev/shm is mentioned. If I do an

    >> If you have the kernel source installed, take a look at
    >> /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt
    >>
    >> The dev/shm mountpoint is used with an entry in /etc/fstab. If the
    >> program uses "POSIX shared memory", then running "mkdir /dev/shm",
    >> and adding an entry to /etc/fstab with
    >> shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    >> may speed things up. Shouldn't hurt to have it, if the program doesn't
    >> use it.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > Thanks! I will follow up on this at work.

    I was not able to fix my vmware-server installation with these steps so I
    ended up switching to vmware-workstation which works much better and does
    not require any /dev/shm help.

+ Reply to Thread