2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors - Mandriva ; For anyone waiting; get your Release Candidate 1 hot off the mirrors....

  1. 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    For anyone waiting;
    get your Release Candidate 1 hot off the mirrors.

  2. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    > For anyone waiting;
    > get your Release Candidate 1 hot off the mirrors.

    Just updated my cooker install to RC1. Looks good so far. The artwork is
    very good. .. a long way from the demented duck days

  3. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 05:19:30 GMT, Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    > "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    >> For anyone waiting;
    >> get your Release Candidate 1 hot off the mirrors.

    > Just updated my cooker install to RC1. Looks good so far.

    Yeah, I installed it and update showed 64 packages needed updating. :-)

    "at" still broke, at job just sets in /var/spool/at/ without executing.
    It is weird, programmer looking into the problem said it worked.
    Then did a clean install and yes it was broke. Day or so later said it
    was a kernel problem. Thought that strange. I would assume updating
    the test bed would have introduced the problem.

    I did a clean install.
    Games wanting sound (Pysol, LBreakout) lock up.

    Tried the special video driver for my RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]
    and gears showed half the speed as the default video driver.

  4. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 05:19:30 GMT, Gireesh Bhat wrote:
    >> "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    >>> For anyone waiting;
    >>> get your Release Candidate 1 hot off the mirrors.

    >> Just updated my cooker install to RC1. Looks good so far.

    > Yeah, I installed it and update showed 64 packages needed updating. :-)

    I have downloaded, but I think I will wait until initial batch
    of updates are available before installing.

    > "at" still broke, at job just sets in /var/spool/at/ without executing.
    > It is weird, programmer looking into the problem said it worked.
    > Then did a clean install and yes it was broke. Day or so later said it
    > was a kernel problem. Thought that strange. I would assume updating
    > the test bed would have introduced the problem.
    >
    > I did a clean install.

    Does mention of this imply an upgrade is plausible? I have
    just got 2008.1 Beta working reasonably well (for the second
    time -- all was nice and then went to H*ll in a handbasket;
    recovery after a few hundred packages were updated) and it
    would be nice to keep settings.

    Still, I am thinking of going for KDE 4, and that means
    many settings would be gone anyway.

    > Games wanting sound (Pysol, LBreakout) lock up.

    The latest update to Amarok under Beta is flaky. I have it set
    to auto-play in random order from my complete collection, and it
    now starts up the next song, plays a few seconds, and then jumps
    to the next song. It will play that one in full (and then repeat:
    next song, brief play time, next song) or go back and play
    the previous song (that had been cut short) and that will go full
    length. Don't know if this is worth filing a bug report, with
    rc1 out.

    > Tried the special video driver for my RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]
    > and gears showed half the speed as the default video driver.

    This is interesting. For the past few days, glxgears has been
    delivering over 1600 (the Mandriva package of nVidia drivers
    installed from non-free -- but I think with the one-earlier
    version of DKMS as the installer. the *12 dkms failed to
    complete the installation.) This had happened once before, but
    only briefly following an upgrade. I have been wondering if
    things not working reduced load on some critical part of the
    system. It will be interesting to see what rc1 does.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:35:22 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > but I think with the one-earlier
    > version of DKMS as the installer. the *12 dkms failed to
    > complete the installation.) This had happened once before, but
    > only briefly following an upgrade.

    I had hard compile failures until I removed all other kernels except
    the last update. Next boot it compiled. That was on Beta 2.

  6. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:35:22 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >

    >> but I think with the one-earlier
    >> version of DKMS as the installer. the *12 dkms failed to
    >> complete the installation.) This had happened once before, but
    >> only briefly following an upgrade.

    > I had hard compile failures until I removed all other kernels except
    > the last update. Next boot it compiled. That was on Beta 2.

    Threads like this one strongly confirm that some folks, like me, are
    definitely better off waiting for "official" releases. Dealing with
    problems like those described might have been fun in my youth, but now
    they just make me tear what's left of my gray hair out.

    TJ

  7. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > The latest update to Amarok under Beta is flaky. I have it set
    > to auto-play in random order from my complete collection, and it
    > now starts up the next song, plays a few seconds, and then jumps
    > to the next song. It will play that one in full (and then repeat:
    > next song, brief play time, next song) or go back and play
    > the previous song (that had been cut short) and that will go full
    > length. Don't know if this is worth filing a bug report, with
    > rc1 out.

    I've had the same problem with Amarok on 2007.0. If I delete all of
    ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ and start over with a fresh config, then
    Amarok works fine.

    Good luck.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  8. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:18:18 -0500, TJ wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:35:22 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >>

    >>> but I think with the one-earlier
    >>> version of DKMS as the installer. the *12 dkms failed to
    >>> complete the installation.) This had happened once before, but
    >>> only briefly following an upgrade.

    >> I had hard compile failures until I removed all other kernels except
    >> the last update. Next boot it compiled. That was on Beta 2.

    > Threads like this one strongly confirm that some folks, like me, are
    > definitely better off waiting for "official" releases. Dealing with
    > problems like those described might have been fun in my youth, but now
    > they just make me tear what's left of my gray hair out.

    I hear where you are coming from, but the above problem showed me
    I needed to keep my Official install clean of other kernel versions.

    I like playing with the pre-release to find problems which might give
    me grief when it goes Official or work with a new features which may
    give me a hard time later.

    Had I not found the "at" problem and reported it, the problem might
    not have been found until I installed the Official and I would have
    been upset.

    I reported another problem about urpmi which I use a lot.
    Found a work around and reported it when I opened the problem report.
    Some how the problem wound up in backports.
    Glad I had already fixed my scripts to avoid the problem in 2008.0.

    Anyone wanting to dink with role based security can play with the new
    apparmor feature. Problem there, documentation is week on Mandriva.

    http://en.opensuse.org/Apparmor

  9. Re: 2008.1 Spring RC1 is on mirrors

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> The latest update to Amarok under Beta is flaky. I have it set
    >> to auto-play in random order from my complete collection, and it
    >> now starts up the next song, plays a few seconds, and then jumps
    >> to the next song. It will play that one in full (and then repeat:
    >> next song, brief play time, next song) or go back and play
    >> the previous song (that had been cut short) and that will go full
    >> length. Don't know if this is worth filing a bug report, with
    >> rc1 out.

    > I've had the same problem with Amarok on 2007.0. If I delete all of
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ and start over with a fresh config, then
    > Amarok works fine.

    Sort of the localized version of mv .kde .oldkde and starting over,
    eh? I am glad to know that will work. Actually, the last update
    to Amarok gave me the new-install wizard, so maybe it cleaned things
    up.

    For the moment, following that update to Amarok, it is working fine.
    I will hold off on the fresh start, as I may already have all
    that was needed.

    Cheers!

    jim b.