installing stuff - Mandriva

This is a discussion on installing stuff - Mandriva ; anyone know how to install a .tar.gz onto mandriva powerpack 2008? its not got any right click option and i kinda need it installin pretty sharpish... its a webdevelopment program and if theres one on the mandriva dvd i'll install ...

  1. installing stuff

    anyone know how to install a .tar.gz onto mandriva powerpack 2008? its
    not got any right click option and i kinda need it installin pretty
    sharpish...

    its a webdevelopment program and if theres one on the mandriva dvd i'll
    install it but i couldn't find it when i had a quick mooch.

    thanks in advance

  2. Re: installing stuff

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:32:32 GMT, myke wrote:
    > anyone know how to install a .tar.gz onto mandriva powerpack 2008?

    Yes.

    > its
    > not got any right click option and i kinda need it installin pretty
    > sharpish...

    Yep, that is some of the problems with only knowing gui.

    > its a webdevelopment program and if theres one on the mandriva dvd i'll
    > install it but i couldn't find it when i had a quick mooch.

    If you mean an html editor, there is NVU, kompozer, bluefish, quanta,...

    Back to your question, you might want to click up a terminal, and
    man tar

    Once you glanced at that, I would suggest

    mkdir -p $HOME/tmp
    cd $HOME/tmp

    tar -zvxf /wherever/fn_her.tar.gz

    ls -al

    Do look at the files from the tar archive before proceeding much farther.

  3. Re: installing stuff

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:42:46 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:32:32 GMT, myke wrote:
    >> anyone know how to install a .tar.gz onto mandriva powerpack 2008?

    > Yes.
    >

    >> its
    >> not got any right click option and i kinda need it installin pretty
    >> sharpish...

    > Yep, that is some of the problems with only knowing gui.
    >
    >> its a webdevelopment program and if theres one on the mandriva dvd i'll
    >> install it but i couldn't find it when i had a quick mooch.

    > If you mean an html editor, there is NVU, kompozer, bluefish,
    > quanta,...
    >
    > Back to your question, you might want to click up a terminal, and man
    > tar
    >
    > Once you glanced at that, I would suggest
    >
    > mkdir -p $HOME/tmp
    > cd $HOME/tmp
    >
    > tar -zvxf /wherever/fn_her.tar.gz
    >
    > ls -al
    >
    > Do look at the files from the tar archive before proceeding much
    > farther.

    yea i did the tar xvzf, cd (whatever), ./configure, make, su (password)
    make install

    did ask me to instlal a few packages from the dvd but it works woot.
    thanks guys

  4. Re: installing stuff

    myke wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:42:46 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:32:32 GMT, myke wrote:
    >>> anyone know how to install a .tar.gz onto mandriva powerpack 2008?

    >> Yes.
    >>

    >>> its
    >>> not got any right click option and i kinda need it installin pretty
    >>> sharpish...

    >> Yep, that is some of the problems with only knowing gui.
    >>
    >>> its a webdevelopment program and if theres one on the mandriva dvd i'll
    >>> install it but i couldn't find it when i had a quick mooch.

    >> If you mean an html editor, there is NVU, kompozer, bluefish,
    >> quanta,...
    >>
    >> Back to your question, you might want to click up a terminal, and man
    >> tar
    >>
    >> Once you glanced at that, I would suggest
    >>
    >> mkdir -p $HOME/tmp
    >> cd $HOME/tmp
    >>
    >> tar -zvxf /wherever/fn_her.tar.gz
    >>
    >> ls -al
    >>
    >> Do look at the files from the tar archive before proceeding much
    >> farther.

    > yea i did the tar xvzf, cd (whatever), ./configure, make, su (password)
    > make install
    >
    > did ask me to instlal a few packages from the dvd but it works woot.
    > thanks guys

    Hmmmm wondering why he didn't run easy urpmi setup. Newbs never seize to
    amaze me.
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  5. Re: installing stuff

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:39:00 GMT, Rich wrote:

    > Newbs never seize to amaze me.

    And, others with nothing to contribute, never cease to dismay (or amaze) _me_ !

  6. Re: installing stuff

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:07:37 +0000, Spamm Trappe wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:39:00 GMT, Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> Newbs never seize to amaze me.

    > And, others with nothing to contribute, never cease to dismay (or amaze)
    > _me_ !

    You do mean like yourself?

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  7. Re: installing stuff

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:40:00 -0600, Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:07:37 +0000, Spamm Trappe wrote:
    >
    > You do mean like yourself?

    No, he means like me. B-)

    Reading through answers to posts like this one help a relative newb like
    myself to build up a diary of commands and suggestions for future
    reference.

+ Reply to Thread