Backup to restore from. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Backup to restore from. - Mandriva ; I have just done a backup of my system with Mondo, but left out the whole /var directory. I have just realised that to restore a working system, I need the rpm database, or I will have the packages but ...

  1. Backup to restore from.

    I have just done a backup of my system with Mondo, but left out the
    whole /var directory.

    I have just realised that to restore a working system, I need the rpm
    database, or I will have the packages but no record of what is there. It
    seems that including all of /var/lib should do it. /var/cache is
    temporary, and /var/ftp I can re-create.

    Am I right?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Backup to restore from.

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:20:47 -0500, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have just done a backup of my system with Mondo, but left out the
    > whole /var directory.
    > I have just realised that to restore a working system, I need the rpm
    > database, or I will have the packages but no record of what is there. It
    > seems that including all of /var/lib should do it. /var/cache is
    > temporary, and /var/ftp I can re-create.

    For rpm, yes, however /var/cache/urpmi should have very few files in it,
    and I would expect urpmi to fail if the directories do not exist.

    Any rpm files in /var/cache/urpmi/partial, or /var/cache/urpmi/rpms would
    indicate some previous package installations had failed, either due to
    file corruption, or missing dependencies.

    Excluding the /var/cache/ppds.dat, /var/cache/fontconfig/* and
    the whatis files under /var/cache/man/ leaves about 1 mb, in /var/cache
    on my system.

    I would ensure the entire directory structure is included in the backup,
    even if you choose to exclude some files, as I would expect many tools
    to fail, if needed directories do not exist.

    If possible, you should free up enough space, to create new partitions
    to test the recovery tools, and the system resulting from the recovery,
    to ensure it actually works. You don't want to wait until you're
    recovering from a hard drive loss, to find out you missed something
    critical, in the backup procedure.

    kdirstat is a very useful tool for finding large files, or directories
    with lots of files, that may be worth the time to investigate, whether
    or not to exclude them from the backup.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Backup to restore from.

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:20:47 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have just done a backup of my system with Mondo, but left out the
    >> whole /var directory.
    >> I have just realised that to restore a working system, I need the rpm
    >> database, or I will have the packages but no record of what is there. It
    >> seems that including all of /var/lib should do it. /var/cache is
    >> temporary, and /var/ftp I can re-create.

    > For rpm, yes, however /var/cache/urpmi should have very few files in it,
    > and I would expect urpmi to fail if the directories do not exist.
    >
    > Any rpm files in /var/cache/urpmi/partial, or /var/cache/urpmi/rpms would
    > indicate some previous package installations had failed, either due to
    > file corruption, or missing dependencies.
    >
    > Excluding the /var/cache/ppds.dat, /var/cache/fontconfig/* and
    > the whatis files under /var/cache/man/ leaves about 1 mb, in /var/cache
    > on my system.
    >
    > I would ensure the entire directory structure is included in the backup,
    > even if you choose to exclude some files, as I would expect many tools
    > to fail, if needed directories do not exist.
    >
    > If possible, you should free up enough space, to create new partitions
    > to test the recovery tools, and the system resulting from the recovery,
    > to ensure it actually works. You don't want to wait until you're
    > recovering from a hard drive loss, to find out you missed something
    > critical, in the backup procedure.
    >
    > kdirstat is a very useful tool for finding large files, or directories
    > with lots of files, that may be worth the time to investigate, whether
    > or not to exclude them from the backup.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks David. You are right about the directory tree, of course. That was
    troubling me a bit. For example, I run Leafnode, and need at least a
    directory tree in /var/spool/news, although I can download the articles
    again.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread