Thoughts on cooker 2008.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Thoughts on cooker 2008.1 - Mandriva ; This is for anyone that is more adventurous but not an expert, and might be thinking of trying cooker. I recently decided to try out the x86_64 cooker releases of Mandriva 2008.1 from 2008.0 Free. Interested in what others experiences ...

  1. Thoughts on cooker 2008.1

    This is for anyone that is more adventurous but not an expert, and might
    be thinking of trying cooker. I recently decided to try out the x86_64
    cooker releases of Mandriva 2008.1 from 2008.0 Free. Interested in what
    others experiences are with 2008.1 cooker.

    This is what I find.

    - Seems to be a problem when you start booting, if you're looking at the
    text (instead of graphics), the first page worth of text before it
    scrolls off the screen has strange blocks of multi-colour to fill in the
    remaining white-space to the right side of the screen.

    - If ALSA crashes (and you didn't notice on boot), when trying to play a
    track in Amarok it starts to cycle through all the tracks and says it
    can't play them, but you can't stop Amarok from going through the tracks
    so you have to kill the application, and so lose the "played" statistics.
    To be fare, this is a long standing bug to me.

    - Would be nice if OpenOffice acknowledged itself in splash screen and
    "about" as the 64 bit version, just like it used to.

    - Still not fixed the problem of a floppy drive being scanned / logged as
    being scanned when the system does not have a floppy.

    - Package manager does not work as nice as it was in 2008.0. Why is it
    selected by default "packages with gui" when "all" would be more useful,
    and the button to "search" restored.

    - Package manager, if a package can't be installed, give a more useful
    reason other than "this package cannot be installed".

    - Package manager, if a package cannot be installed, do not halt the
    entire list of packages to install, but carry on installing what can be
    installed.

    - On shut down, there is a warning text that flashes up
    "fs/proc/generic.c:736 remove proc entry"

    On the plus side, Filezilla actually starts lightyears faster than when
    on the slightly older kernel version.

    However, the biggest difference is Compiz-Fusion does appear to run with
    less processor resources, but either separately or combined with X, is
    still nowhere near frugal and fast like Beryl was. The newest kernel does
    appear to run things a bit faster.

    Also a fixed issue on my setup, the screen saver, when it starts by
    itself or when you lock a session now starts full screen, not a 1/3rd
    down and 1/3rd to the right like it used to in 2008.0 (I never could
    figure that one out).

  2. Re: Thoughts on cooker 2008.1

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:20:44 +0000, Ar wrote:

    > This is for anyone that is more adventurous but not an expert, and might
    > be thinking of trying cooker. I recently decided to try out the x86_64
    > cooker releases of Mandriva 2008.1

    I've dedicated an Acer Aspire laptop to cooker, apart from the problems
    getting the Atheros wifi to work in the free version (ath_pci missing)
    the only problem I've seen is the MDKApplet icon disappears from the
    taskbar if you select "Check for Updates" and appears to do nothing. It
    certainly doesn't open the update window as in 2008.0.
    A command line command to start mdkapplet tells me it is already running,
    killing the job ID and then restarting brings it back to the taskbar, but
    the whole process starts over if I try to check updates.
    No big deal as "urpmi --auto-update --auto" does an unattended update.

  3. Re: Thoughts on cooker 2008.1

    On 28 Feb 2008 10:20:44 GMT, Ar wrote:
    > This is for anyone that is more adventurous but not an expert, and might
    > be thinking of trying cooker. I recently decided to try out the x86_64
    > cooker releases of Mandriva 2008.1 from 2008.0 Free. Interested in what
    > others experiences are with 2008.1 cooker.

    RC1 is supposed to be out Feb 29 (Friday).
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development

    Hope it has my 2008.1 reported problems fixed.

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1 for 2008.1 doc.

    "at" not working is a show stopper for me.

    > This is what I find.
    >
    > - Seems to be a problem when you start booting, if you're looking at the
    > text (instead of graphics), the first page worth of text before it
    > scrolls off the screen has strange blocks of multi-colour to fill in the
    > remaining white-space to the right side of the screen.

    Yep. saw those on my 32bit install. Problem has been reported.

    > - If ALSA crashes (and you didn't notice on boot),

    Sound was slow to start up even when using startx. I think that has
    been fixed. Have not seen the problem on the last two boots for
    updates.

    You have to run pasuspender skype if you want audio for skype.
    Downside is, other apps wanting sound are out of luck when that is done.

    > - Package manager does not work as nice as it was in 2008.0. Why is it
    > selected by default "packages with gui" when "all" would be more useful,

    Matter of taste. It is kind of nice to have groups, to see what they have.
    I add the contrib/main packages I want on post install from the command line,
    Saw a request, awhile back, to be able to toggle to flat display,

    I use the flat package display during install to get additional packages added
    during Custom Install.

  4. Re: Thoughts on cooker 2008.1

    Ar wrote:
    > This is for anyone that is more adventurous but not an expert, and might
    > be thinking of trying cooker. I recently decided to try out the x86_64
    > cooker releases of Mandriva 2008.1 from 2008.0 Free. Interested in what
    > others experiences are with 2008.1 cooker.

    I started with 2008.1 Spring/Beta and have been updating from cooker,
    all repositories except testing enabled.

    For a time, my main OS was 2008.0 with the
    vmlinuz-2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv kernel, but after an update to that my
    toolbar panel was messed up, and I found it easier to migrate to
    Spring than straighten out the panel. I still have 2008.0 around,
    just in case update break 2008.1, but otherwise I am on Spring Beta
    plus Cooker updates.

    > This is what I find.
    >
    > - Seems to be a problem when you start booting, if you're looking at the
    > text (instead of graphics), the first page worth of text before it
    > scrolls off the screen has strange blocks of multi-colour to fill in the
    > remaining white-space to the right side of the screen.

    Yep.

    > - If ALSA crashes (and you didn't notice on boot), when trying to play a
    > track in Amarok it starts to cycle through all the tracks and says it
    > can't play them, but you can't stop Amarok from going through the tracks
    > so you have to kill the application, and so lose the "played" statistics.
    > To be fare, this is a long standing bug to me.

    I had problems with ALSA early on, though it never crashed. Just did
    not work consistently as it should. Seems to be working fine for the
    last week or so. I have never seen the problem you describe.

    > - Would be nice if OpenOffice acknowledged itself in splash screen and
    > "about" as the 64 bit version, just like it used to.
    >
    > - Still not fixed the problem of a floppy drive being scanned / logged as
    > being scanned when the system does not have a floppy.

    Is there something else on the address? I have no floppy and do not
    see this.

    > - Package manager does not work as nice as it was in 2008.0. Why is it
    > selected by default "packages with gui" when "all" would be more useful,
    > and the button to "search" restored.

    For a time "search" did nothing. Recently it has been working, but
    it is still flaky. It does not always deliver all that it should.

    And when you click on a package name, I could do without the running
    description of download of the description. Just the description
    would be fine.

    > - Package manager, if a package can't be installed, give a more useful
    > reason other than "this package cannot be installed".

    Usually a retry cures the problem. For some packages, a new one that
    installed was available the next day.

    > - Package manager, if a package cannot be installed, do not halt the
    > entire list of packages to install, but carry on installing what can be
    > installed.

    Mine has consistently done this.

    > - On shut down, there is a warning text that flashes up
    > "fs/proc/generic.c:736 remove proc entry"

    I have not seen this.

    > On the plus side, Filezilla actually starts lightyears faster than when
    > on the slightly older kernel version.

    I don't use it.

    > However, the biggest difference is Compiz-Fusion does appear to run with
    > less processor resources, but either separately or combined with X, is
    > still nowhere near frugal and fast like Beryl was. The newest kernel does
    > appear to run things a bit faster.

    I don't use it.

    > Also a fixed issue on my setup, the screen saver, when it starts by
    > itself or when you lock a session now starts full screen, not a 1/3rd
    > down and 1/3rd to the right like it used to in 2008.0 (I never could
    > figure that one out).

    Never had the problem. Don't have it now.

    Updates are coming hot and heavy. Over 100 this evening, after
    updating late last night. SCIM/Anthy for imput of Japanese
    characters is flaky, but I must acknowledge part of the problem is
    undoubtably in configuration. I have learned (I think -- maybe
    success was coincidental) that you have to choose languages first
    and then select country to get U.S. English plus other languages when
    you want them. SCIM/Anthy does seem to activate pretty much when it
    feels like it, though, and I can find no reason for it. I have had
    to kill the processes to prevent random activation, and then restart
    SCIM whan I wanted the CJK IME.

    When I whent to all-Japanese for KDE, that did work fine. But I
    would prefer my basic locale to be English, plus an ability to input
    Japanese or other language on an ad hoc basis.

    GeForce 6100 / Nvidia 410 motherboard, nVidia 7300 video card.
    Linux jb.home.invalid 2.6.24.2-desktop-4mdv #1 SMP Thu Feb 21
    19:45:22 CET 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
    5000+ GNU/Linux

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --