Problem with Audio 2008 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem with Audio 2008 - Mandriva ; After getting mass failure with my old Pent.III I went out and bought a barebones that I put together. Lets just say a present to myself after years of neglect. ASUS motherboard ‎Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz with ...

  1. Problem with Audio 2008

    After getting mass failure with my old Pent.III I went out and bought a
    barebones that I put together. Lets just say a present to myself after
    years of neglect. ASUS motherboard ‎Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @
    2.40GHz with onboard ‎VIA High Definition Audio Controller Driver
    Module: ‎snd_hda_intel 2048 KB memory. There seems to be problems with this
    and I have done the necessary research on google.

    Anyway, I'm having trouble getting sound to work. I have copied the driver
    files from the supplied disk and unpacked them with some error problems.
    Here's what I get. Can you tell me what I'm missing or what these errors
    mean?

    Thanks,

    make
    /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h: In
    function ‘snd_pci_orig_save_state’:
    /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h:1083: error:
    too many arguments to function ‘pci_save_state’
    /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h: In
    function ‘snd_pci_orig_restore_state’:
    /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h:1087: error:
    too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’
    make[4]: *** [/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/acore/hwdep.o]
    Error 1
    make[3]: *** [/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/acore] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Rich wrote:
    > After getting mass failure with my old Pent.III. I went out and bought a
    > barebones that I put together. Lets just say a present to myself after
    > years of neglect. ASUS motherboard ‎Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @
    > 2.40GHz with onboard ‎VIA High Definition Audio Controller Driver
    > Module: ‎snd_hda_intel 2048 KB memory. There seems to be problems with this
    > and I have done the necessary research on google.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm having trouble getting sound to work.

    First, I would recommend trying for a Mandriva driver for your
    card. Launch MCC, go to Hardware, then to Browse and configure
    hardware, to Soundcard, and click on your controller. On the right,
    scroll down to the bottom and see what driver(s) you need.

    Then check (using locate) to see if you already have the driver(s)
    on your system. One or more will likely be in
    /lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/

    Then run lsmod |grep modulename to see if it is already loaded.

    If loaded, then you are down to configuration problems rather
    than a compilation problem.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:14:11 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > Anyway, I'm having trouble getting sound to work. I have copied the driver
    > files from the supplied disk and unpacked them with some error problems.
    > Here's what I get. Can you tell me what I'm missing or what these errors
    > mean?

    What is the output lspci|grep audio
    What were the error messages during the unpacking?
    > /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h:1087: error:
    > too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’

    I don't know if this a problem with the source not being compatible with
    the current kernel, or not, but with the info from lspci, it'll be easier
    to see if a compatible source can be found.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > What is the output lspci|grep audio

    no output when running the above command so I just ran lspci.
    80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    Controller (rev 10)

    > What were the error messages during the unpacking?

    *** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
    *** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

    *** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building
    kernel

    >> /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/include/adriver.h:1087:
    >> error: too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’

    > I don't know if this a problem with the source not being compatible with
    > the current kernel, or not, but with the info from lspci, it'll be easier
    > to see if a compatible source can be found.

    checking for built-in ALSA... no
    /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/utils/patch-alsa: line 22:
    patch: co
    mmand not found
    make[2]: *** [control.c] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory
    `/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/acore'
    make[1]: *** [dep] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b'
    make: *** [include/sndversions.h] Error 2
    [evodawg@localhost alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b]$ make
    make dep
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b'
    make[2]: Entering directory
    `/home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/acore'
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/hwdep.c
    patching file hwdep.c
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/init.c
    patching file init.c
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/rawmidi.c
    patching file rawmidi.c
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 1380 with fuzz 1 (offset 30 lines).
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/sound.c
    patching file sound.c
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/timer.c
    patching file timer.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 1012 with fuzz 1 (offset 17 lines).
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 1970 with fuzz 2 (offset 125 lines).
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/memalloc.c
    patching file memalloc.c

    WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

    Seems the above warning might be the problem. I did download the kernel
    source, hoping it was the right one since there are tons in MCC.

    Everything else seemed to go ok.

    Rich

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  5. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:54:50 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> What is the output lspci|grep audio

    > no output when running the above command so I just ran lspci.
    > 80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    > Controller (rev 10)

    Not much there. What I was hoping for, was a chip id, or controller name.
    How about the output from lspci -vv

    >> What were the error messages during the unpacking?

    > /home/evodawg/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.12-4.05b/utils/patch-alsa: line 22:
    > patch: co
    > mmand not found

    Strange Looks like you need the patch command installed.
    rpm -q -f /usr/bin/patch
    patch-2.5.9-4mdv2008.0

    > patching file hwdep.c
    > Hunk #1 succeeded at 308 (offset 5 lines).

    Yet here, it appears the patch is working.

    > WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.18-1mdv/Module.symvers
    > is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
    > Seems the above warning might be the problem. I did download the kernel
    > source, hoping it was the right one since there are tons in MCC.

    No. That's quite normal when compiling modules. The Module.symvers is missing,
    as the kernel has been compiled without debugging support, or it's since been
    stripped (before being packaged, by Mandriva).

    One thing to be aware of, unlike versions prior to 2008.0, the kernel-source rpm
    package only needs to be installed, if you will be compiling your own kernel.
    It is not setup for compiling modules, for use with a Mandriva supplied kernel.

    For compiling modules, for use with a Mandriva supplied kernel, you need the
    appropriate kernel-xxx-devel rpm package. For example, if you are using the kernel
    from the rpm package kernel-desktop-2.6.22.18-1mdv then you should install the rpm
    package kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.18-1mdv for compiling modules.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:54:50 -0500, Rich wrote:
    >

    > Not much there. What I was hoping for, was a chip id, or controller name.
    > How about the output from lspci -vv

    > Strange Looks like you need the patch command installed.
    > rpm -q -f /usr/bin/patch
    > patch-2.5.9-4mdv2008.0

    80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio
    Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8290
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    SERR- Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
    Region 0: Memory at fbffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities:

    > For compiling modules, for use with a Mandriva supplied kernel, you need
    > the appropriate kernel-xxx-devel rpm package. For example, if you are
    > using the kernel from the rpm package kernel-desktop-2.6.22.18-1mdv then
    > you should install the rpm package kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.18-1mdv for
    > compiling modules.

    Ok gotcha.
    [evodawg@localhost ~]$ uname -r
    2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  7. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    >> After getting mass failure with my old Pent.III. I went out and bought
    >> a barebones that I put together. Lets just say a present to myself after
    >> years of neglect. ASUS motherboard ‎Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600
    >> @ 2.40GHz with onboard ‎VIA High Definition Audio Controller Driver
    >> Module: ‎snd_hda_intel 2048 KB memory. There seems to be problems with
    >> this and I have done the necessary research on google.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm having trouble getting sound to work.

    > First, I would recommend trying for a Mandriva driver for your
    > card. Launch MCC, go to Hardware, then to Browse and configure
    > hardware, to Soundcard, and click on your controller. On the right,
    > scroll down to the bottom and see what driver(s) you need.
    >
    > Then check (using locate) to see if you already have the driver(s)
    > on your system. One or more will likely be in
    > /lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/
    >
    > Then run lsmod |grep modulename to see if it is already loaded.

    [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod |grep snd_hda_intel
    snd_hda_intel 280220 1
    snd_pcm 68996 3 snd_riptide,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel
    snd_page_alloc 8456 3 snd_riptide,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 7332 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_hda_intel
    snd 43972 11
    snd_riptide,snd_ac97_codec,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401 _uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_mixer_oss,snd _hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep

    > If loaded, then you are down to configuration problems rather
    > than a compilation problem.

    going to try the riptide driver and do more research solving this problem.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  8. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > First, I would recommend trying for a Mandriva driver for your
    > card. Launch MCC, go to Hardware, then to Browse and configure
    > hardware, to Soundcard, and click on your controller. On the right,
    > scroll down to the bottom and see what driver(s) you need.
    >
    > Then check (using locate) to see if you already have the driver(s)
    > on your system. One or more will likely be in
    > /lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/
    >
    > Then run lsmod |grep modulename to see if it is already loaded.
    >
    > If loaded, then you are down to configuration problems rather
    > than a compilation problem.

    Well its there.

    locate snd-hda-intel
    /lib/modules/2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    [root@localhost evodawg]# uname -r
    2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  9. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:18:55 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod |grep snd_hda_intel
    > snd_hda_intel 280220 1
    > snd_pcm 68996 3 snd_riptide,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel
    > snd_page_alloc 8456 3 snd_riptide,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

    If you run kmix, does the intel mixer show up as an option? If
    it does, try experimenting with the switches settings, for
    Channel mode, etc.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:18:55 -0500, Rich wrote:
    >
    >> [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod |grep snd_hda_intel
    >> snd_hda_intel 280220 1
    >> snd_pcm 68996 3 snd_riptide,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel
    >> snd_page_alloc 8456 3 snd_riptide,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

    > If you run kmix, does the intel mixer show up as an option? If
    > it does, try experimenting with the switches settings, for
    > Channel mode, etc.

    No just the kmix mixer. but kmix does give channel options. And I have
    messed with them all, to no avail. Could this be a problem in CMOS?
    Assigning functions to the 3 different channels or possible jumper
    settings? I don't have my stero speakers hooked up, trying to use the
    speaker built into the monitor.

    I'm also getting errors when trying to run alsamixer "snd_mixer_load failed:
    Invalid argument. This sound problem is really starting to piss me off!!!
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  11. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Rich wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >

    >> First, I would recommend trying for a Mandriva driver for your
    >> card. Launch MCC, go to Hardware, then to Browse and configure
    >> hardware, to Soundcard, and click on your controller. On the right,
    >> scroll down to the bottom and see what driver(s) you need.
    >>
    >> Then check (using locate) to see if you already have the driver(s)
    >> on your system. One or more will likely be in
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/
    >>
    >> Then run lsmod |grep modulename to see if it is already loaded.
    >>
    >> If loaded, then you are down to configuration problems rather
    >> than a compilation problem.

    > Well its there.
    >
    > locate snd-hda-intel
    > /lib/modules/2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    > /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    > [root@localhost evodawg]# uname -r
    > 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv

    OK, but is the module. In a terminal window,

    lsmod |grep snd

    and see if it is loaded into the kernel.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:
    >>

    >>> First, I would recommend trying for a Mandriva driver for your
    >>> card. Launch MCC, go to Hardware, then to Browse and configure
    >>> hardware, to Soundcard, and click on your controller. On the right,
    >>> scroll down to the bottom and see what driver(s) you need.
    >>>
    >>> Then check (using locate) to see if you already have the driver(s)
    >>> on your system. One or more will likely be in
    >>> /lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/
    >>>
    >>> Then run lsmod |grep modulename to see if it is already loaded.
    >>>
    >>> If loaded, then you are down to configuration problems rather
    >>> than a compilation problem.

    >> Well its there.
    >>
    >> locate snd-hda-intel
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.gz
    >> [root@localhost evodawg]# uname -r
    >> 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv
    >>

    > OK, but is the module. In a terminal window,
    >
    > lsmod |grep snd
    >
    > and see if it is loaded into the kernel.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Here's everything I can think of to check this problem plus your suggestion.
    Thanks again for your help.

    [root@localhost evodawg]# lsmod |grep snd
    snd_seq_dummy 3492 0
    snd_seq_oss 29280 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 6816 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 45968 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 7244 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 37344 0
    snd_mixer_oss 14624 2 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_hda_intel 280220 1
    snd_pcm 68996 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 19460 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 7332 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd 43972 9
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
    soundcore 6592 2 snd
    [root@localhost evodawg]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO
    [root@localhost evodawg]# grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

    [root@localhost evodawg]# grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

    [root@localhost evodawg]# /sbin/lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    freq_table 4544 1 cpufreq_ondemand
    snd_hda_intel 280220 1
    snd_pcm 68996 1 snd_hda_intel
    snd_timer 19460 1 snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_hwdep 7332 1 snd_hda_intel
    ehci_hcd 30924 0
    uhci_hcd 22736 0
    snd 43972 5
    snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ hwdep
    soundcore 6592 2 snd
    usbcore 114120 3 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    via_rhine 21672 0
    shpchp 29812 0
    mii 5376 1 via_rhine
    pci_hotplug 27264 1 shpchp
    evdev 8480 2
    tsdev 7072 0
    sg 30712 0
    ext3 118824 12
    jbd 50120 1 ext3
    scsi_wait_scan 1984 0
    sd_mod 25888 7
    sata_via 8804 6
    libata 109168 1 sata_via
    scsi_mod 124908 4 sg,scsi_wait_scan,sd_mod,libata

    [root@localhost evodawg]# /sbin/chkconfig --list sound
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    [root@localhost evodawg]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    [root@localhost evodawg]# aumix -q
    line 49, 49
    mic 100, 100
    pcm2 100, 100
    igain 100, 100
    dig1 100, 100

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  13. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    [BIG snip]

    OK, it appears you have the driver you found was
    needed, and it is loaded in the kernel. You have
    a different sound card from mine, so I don't know
    what you should have. I have,

    snd_seq_dummy 7556 0
    snd_seq_oss 36736 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 11520 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 59136 5
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 11412 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 45728 0
    snd_mixer_oss 20608 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_intel8x0 38056 9
    snd_ac97_codec 121048 1 snd_intel8x0
    ac97_bus 6656 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 82824 5 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 26120 4 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd 60744 23
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_osssnd_ mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_ timer
    soundcore 11296 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 12816 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

    It looks to me like your problem lies in configuration
    or some other user-level problem. You do not need to
    compile and install the driver as it appears to be
    there. On my system, alsa is built into the kernel
    rather than loaded as a module, so I can't help with
    that.

    I would start trying to use different front-end
    programs and see if any one of them will work.
    Possibilities: alsamixer alsamixergui amixer
    aumix aumix-text gnome-alsamixer
    kmix kmixctrl xaumix

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  14. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > [BIG snip]
    >
    > OK, it appears you have the driver you found was
    > needed, and it is loaded in the kernel. You have
    > a different sound card from mine, so I don't know
    > what you should have. I have,
    >
    > snd_seq_dummy 7556 0
    > snd_seq_oss 36736 0
    > snd_seq_midi_event 11520 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 59136 5
    > snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 11412 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 45728 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 20608 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_intel8x0 38056 9
    > snd_ac97_codec 121048 1 snd_intel8x0
    > ac97_bus 6656 1 snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_pcm 82824 5 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_timer 26120 4 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd 60744 23

    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_osssnd_ mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_ timer
    > soundcore 11296 1 snd
    > snd_page_alloc 12816 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    >
    > It looks to me like your problem lies in configuration
    > or some other user-level problem. You do not need to
    > compile and install the driver as it appears to be
    > there. On my system, alsa is built into the kernel
    > rather than loaded as a module, so I can't help with
    > that.
    >
    > I would start trying to use different front-end
    > programs and see if any one of them will work.
    > Possibilities: alsamixer alsamixergui amixer
    > aumix aumix-text gnome-alsamixer
    > kmix kmixctrl xaumix
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Ok I'll give that a try, thanks again for the help!

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  15. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:01:56 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > I'm also getting errors when trying to run alsamixer "snd_mixer_load failed:
    > Invalid argument. This sound problem is really starting to piss me off!!!

    I'm running out of ideas, for things to try.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  16. Re: Problem with Audio 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:01:56 -0500, Rich wrote:
    >
    >> I'm also getting errors when trying to run alsamixer "snd_mixer_load
    >> failed: Invalid argument. This sound problem is really starting to piss
    >> me off!!!

    > I'm running out of ideas, for things to try.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Well I appreciate your patients. Anyway I downloaded the most recent update
    to Alsa and all its extras. It seems I'm getting closer. I'm just wondering
    if it's something on the Motherboard, since I did build this machine. I'm
    getting ready to just buy a sound card and nix this onboard crap. From what
    I gather from google, this card has problems and not only with linux. But
    I'm also running out of ideas and google has been no help. Think I could do
    away with the frustration by just getting a new sound card, they're pretty
    cheap. What I need is someone with the same card and driver and compare
    modprobe.conf and modules.conf. I think everything is there just not
    configured right.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Rich
    --