Lost access to DVB - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lost access to DVB - Mandriva ; I had my Hauppauge DBB-T-500 working quite nicely under Kaffeine but would not play ball under MythTV. I really wanted to record stuff not so much watch live TV, so followed some adive spotted on Google to delete various settings ...

  1. Lost access to DVB

    I had my Hauppauge DBB-T-500 working quite nicely under Kaffeine but would
    not play ball under MythTV. I really wanted to record stuff not so much
    watch live TV, so followed some adive spotted on Google to delete various
    settings in MythTV and recreate them again. That didn't work.

    I gave up and tried Kaffeine again, only to find the DVB option gone.
    Trying it in a terminal produced:

    0
    kaffeine: No DVB device found.
    kaffeine: PLAYLIST
    kaffeine: PlayList: add 1 items to playlist
    kaffeine: PlayList: Check for kaffeine/noatun/m3u/pls/asx playlist
    kaffeine: PlayList: Try loading kaffeine playlist
    kaffeine: PlaylistImport:
    kaffeine: /home/alan/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/playlist
    s/NEW.kaffeine
    kaffeine: Window manager: KWin found

    and a dialog displaying Can't bind info socket!!!

    Does anyone have a clue as to what I've managed to do?

  2. Re: Lost access to DVB

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I had my Hauppauge DBB-T-500 working quite nicely under Kaffeine but
    > would not play ball under MythTV. I really wanted to record stuff
    > not so much watch live TV, so followed some adive spotted on Google
    > to delete various settings in MythTV and recreate them again. That
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I gave up and tried Kaffeine again, only to find the DVB option
    > gone. Trying it in a terminal produced:
    >
    > 0
    > kaffeine: No DVB device found.

    This usually means I've knocked the antenna cable out of its socket.
    Sometimes it means that I've been mucking about with modules and
    module parameters.

    Have you changed anything in /etc ?
    Does "lsmod" or "lsmod | grep dvb" look like it used to?
    Have you rebooted?

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  3. Re: Lost access to DVB

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I had my Hauppauge DBB-T-500 working quite nicely under Kaffeine but

    > This usually means I've knocked the antenna cable out of its socket.
    > Sometimes it means that I've been mucking about with modules and
    > module parameters.
    >
    > Have you changed anything in /etc ?
    > Does "lsmod" or "lsmod | grep dvb" look like it used to?
    > Have you rebooted?
    >>
    >> and a dialog displaying Can't bind info socket!!!
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a clue as to what I've managed to do?

    I uninstalled Kaffiene and rebooted. I checked to make sure any residual
    kaffiene related directories were moved to somewhere neutral and again
    shutdown. (You have to sleep sometime)!

    On booting up I tried # ls -l /dev/dvb/* and got nothing. Although the
    firmware was in place I downloaded it again and set it into /lib/firmware.
    Again I rebooted and tried kaffiene.

    The legend 'Can't bind info socket!!!' came up. After clicking the X, up
    came kaffiene. I went into Settings->setup kaffiene player-> DVB Client and
    unchecked enable client. I then went into DVB Channels. I changed the AUTO
    and hit the spinner, running down to UK Crystal Palace (my nearest
    transmitter site) and started the scanner. To my surprise it found more
    Radio and channels than it had managed previously.

    After checking that it worked. I closed it and opened MythTV again. I tried
    Live TV. No real connection but some message sayng something was locked.
    I gave up and tried kaffiene again. Initially no go but eventually I go it
    back. I'm going to forget MythTV for now and learn to use more of
    kaffeine's facilities.

    I would like to have worked out why things went wrong in the first place but
    I guess I can live without.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Alan.

  4. Re: Lost access to DVB

    The day after my previous message, I pwered up my machine only to find
    kaffeine would not 'see' my dvb card.

    dmesg showed the Win-TV Nova-T-500 was there but could not load the
    firmware. I checked that the firmware was at /lib/firmware and even
    copied again from the downloaded copy. Nothing I do will get me to
    see /dev/dvb.

  5. Re: Lost access to DVB

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had my Hauppauge DBB-T-500 working quite nicely under Kaffeine but

    The reason that the driver could not find the firmware was because the
    firmware file had acquired a new name! I have no idea how this happened.

    The correct name for the Nova-T-500 is dvb-usb-dib700-01.fw. I must have had
    this installed originally because Kaffeine was working perfectly. When i
    checked today, I had dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw. I simply copied the original
    to another file with the original name. It is all working again.

+ Reply to Thread