USB cordless mouse & boot problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on USB cordless mouse & boot problem - Mandriva ; I've installed a USB cordless mouse. It works fine if I plug in the USB connection after bootup. However, if it is plugged into the USB port during bootup the bootup fails. There is a message to the effect that ...

  1. USB cordless mouse & boot problem

    I've installed a USB cordless mouse. It works fine if I plug in the USB
    connection after bootup. However, if it is plugged into the USB port
    during bootup the bootup fails. There is a message to the effect that IRQ
    11 has been disconnected.

    It seems to me that the following five lines from the messages log of a
    successful bootup are relevant (they are probably wrapped, but each starts
    with the date).

    Feb 25 08:49:59 newoffice kernel: ata1: SATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xF8810080
    ctl 0xF881008A bmdma 0xF8810000 irq 11
    Feb 25 08:49:59 newoffice kernel: ata2: SATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0xF88100C0
    ctl 0xF88100CA bmdma 0xF8810008 irq 11
    Feb 25 08:49:59 newoffice kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:13.0: irq 11, pci mem
    0xfe02e000
    Feb 25 08:49:59 newoffice kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:13.1: irq 11, pci mem
    0xfe02d000
    Feb 25 08:49:59 newoffice kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: irq 11, pci mem
    0xfe02c000

    The above lines are from Mandriva 2005SE. Similar lines can be found in
    the message log for my Mandriva 2008 installation as well. Both
    installations fail to boot if the USB cordless mouse is plugged in during
    bootup.

    My presumption is that the fact that the SATA disc and the USB share IRQ
    11 is the root course of the problem.

    My question is, how do I solve the problem? Can someone point me in the
    right direction please.

    Regards,

    Steve

  2. Re: USB cordless mouse & boot problem

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:08:10 -0500, steve wrote:

    > I've installed a USB cordless mouse. It works fine if I plug in the USB
    > connection after bootup. However, if it is plugged into the USB port
    > during bootup the bootup fails. There is a message to the effect that IRQ
    > 11 has been disconnected.

    Check your bios settings to see if it has an option to reserve an irq for
    usb. If it does, try reversing the setting, from whatever it is currently
    set to.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: USB cordless mouse & boot problem

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:08:10 -0500, steve wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed a USB cordless mouse. It works fine if I plug in the USB
    >> connection after bootup. However, if it is plugged into the USB port
    >> during bootup the bootup fails. There is a message to the effect that IRQ
    >> 11 has been disconnected.

    > Check your bios settings to see if it has an option to reserve an irq for
    > usb. If it does, try reversing the setting, from whatever it is currently
    > set to.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    You might also check if the bios has a setting for something along the
    lines of support legacy usb, or something like that. Some of my PCs
    wouldn't support the mouse or keyboard on usb ports until Mandriva got
    sufficiently along in the boot process. Enabling this got the mouse and
    keyboard working from the get-go.
    Art

  4. Re: USB cordless mouse & boot problem

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:32:05 -0500, art wrote:

    > You might also check if the bios has a setting for something along the
    > lines of support legacy usb, or something like that. Some of my PCs
    > wouldn't support the mouse or keyboard on usb ports until Mandriva got
    > sufficiently along in the boot process. Enabling this got the mouse and
    > keyboard working from the get-go.
    > Art

    Art,

    I changed support legacy usb from "auto" to "off", booted up without any
    problems, and then read your comments!!!!

    Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

    Regards,

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread