how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf - Mandriva

This is a discussion on how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf - Mandriva ; Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise guys: How is it done?) I have a fixed LAN using static IP addresses. Formerly, I had two nameserver entries defined ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

  1. how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    guys: How is it done?)

    I have a fixed LAN using static IP addresses. Formerly, I
    had two nameserver entries defined through Mandriva's
    installation tools: 127.0.0.1 for local nameserver caching
    by named/bind, and the IP address of my inner router to let
    the router query the actual ISP DNS servers. Now, in
    response to reports the black hats are cracking home routers
    to do DNS poisoning, I want to have my Linux machines do
    local caching and access the ISP's DNS servers directly.

    First, I put DNS1, DNS2, and DNS3 in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but only the
    first two ended up in /etc/resolv.conf. Because Verizon
    isn't known for having the best DNS servers, I want to have
    both ISP servers listed, but _after_ 127.0.0.1.

    Next, I put both ISP DNS servers in ifcfg-eth0 and put
    "nameserver 127.0.0.1" (without the quotation marks) in
    /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head, but that line is not
    being put into /etc/resolv.conf.

    The man page for resolvconf describes a resolv.conf.d/base
    file, but it doesn't specify the order. Is the "base" file
    copied in before the stuff from the interfaces, or is it
    copied into /etc/resolv.conf in a different order?

    Incidentally, I have resolvconf disabled via chkconfig, but
    it seems to be running at boot time, anyway.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  2. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:10:16 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    > into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    > guys: How is it done?)


    Add third nameserver line to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
    and do a
    service network restart
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    Or add nameserver 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
    and the two other ip to DNSx nic config file and do a
    service network restart
    cat /etc/resolv.conf


    > I have a fixed LAN using static IP addresses. Formerly, I
    > had two nameserver entries defined through Mandriva's
    > installation tools: 127.0.0.1 for local nameserver caching
    > by named/bind, and the IP address of my inner router to let
    > the router query the actual ISP DNS servers. Now, in
    > response to reports the black hats are cracking home routers
    > to do DNS poisoning, I want to have my Linux machines do
    > local caching and access the ISP's DNS servers directly.


    And you trust your ISP not to get poisoned. How about if it's
    outsourced to some third world country.


    > First, I put DNS1, DNS2, and DNS3 in
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but only the
    > first two ended up in /etc/resolv.conf.


    Yeah, that used to work, but they fixed it. :-(

    > Because Verizon
    > isn't known for having the best DNS servers, I want to have
    > both ISP servers listed, but _after_ 127.0.0.1.




    >
    > Next, I put both ISP DNS servers in ifcfg-eth0 and put
    > "nameserver 127.0.0.1" (without the quotation marks) in
    > /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head, but that line is not
    > being put into /etc/resolv.conf.


    Sounds like PEERDNS is set =no


    > The man page for resolvconf describes a resolv.conf.d/base
    > file, but it doesn't specify the order. Is the "base" file
    > copied in before the stuff from the interfaces, or is it
    > copied into /etc/resolv.conf in a different order?
    >
    > Incidentally, I have resolvconf disabled via chkconfig, but
    > it seems to be running at boot time, anyway.


    Ok, that explains why resolv.conf if not using the
    /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/ (base, head, tail) files. :-(


    > Any suggestions?


    turn resolvconf service/daemon back on
    modify head or tail files as suggested.

  3. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:30:25 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Or add nameserver 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail


    Frap, should read head.

    Or add nameserver 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head

    > and the two other ip to DNSx nic config file and do a
    > service network restart
    > cat /etc/resolv.conf


  4. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On 2008-02-24, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:30:25 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Or add nameserver 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    >
    > Frap, should read head.
    >
    > Or add nameserver 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    >
    >> and the two other ip to DNSx nic config file and do a
    >> service network restart
    >> cat /etc/resolv.conf


    Already tried that, including manually running
    /sbin/resolvconf, and 127.0.0.1 did not make it into
    /etc/resolv.conf. That's why I asked the order in which
    stuff from /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base would be put.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  5. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:29:55 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2008-02-24, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> and the two other ip to DNSx nic config file and do a
    >> service network restart
    >> cat /etc/resolv.conf

    >
    > Already tried that, including manually running
    > /sbin/resolvconf, and 127.0.0.1 did not make it into
    > /etc/resolv.conf. That's why I asked the order in which
    > stuff from /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base would be put.


    What can I say, I tested by putting text in
    /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
    see

    $ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
    # from tail

    And doing a
    service network restart
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    and my text showed up in /etc/resolv.conf
    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 192.168.1.130
    # from tail

    Watch as I do the reverse:

    # cp /dev/null /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
    cp: overwrite `/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail'? y
    # service network restart
    Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
    Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
    Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
    Bringing up interface eth0: c [ OK ]
    # cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 192.168.1.130

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no # speedup DNS lookups
    NOZEROCONF=yes # no doze lookups needed
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0 # needed for my DHCP scripts
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 # needed for my DHCP scripts
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no # I'll use my own hostname
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=wm80.home.test


    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.1.130
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
    USERCTL=yes
    DNS1=192.168.1.130
    RESOLV_MODS=yes
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no


    # chkconfig --list resolvconf
    resolvconf 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff


  6. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 06:11:15 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:29:55 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> Already tried that, including manually running
    >> /sbin/resolvconf, and 127.0.0.1 did not make it into
    >> /etc/resolv.conf. That's why I asked the order in which
    >> stuff from /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base would be put.


    If you would like to hunt around in the code, this two line snippet from
    /var/log/messages be a lead
    NET[3332]: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post : updated /etc/resolv.conf
    kernel: eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 05e1.

  7. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    > into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    > guys: How is it done?)


    Have you gone into mcc, to network & internet, to network
    center, and clicked the delta for configure, and then moved
    on to advanced? There are some settings there that mcc may
    be reasserting, without regard to changes to config files.

    Beyond that, I too am trying to get three DNS servers into
    resolv.conf, and I can get two plus a domain search line. I.d.

    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    search home.invalid

    I am beginning to wonder if this third search line
    counts as a dns server. If so, I need to know how
    to replace it with a third dns machine.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:10:16 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    > into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    > guys: How is it done?)


    See http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...8870aacbcdf52?

    > the router query the actual ISP DNS servers. Now, in
    > response to reports the black hats are cracking home routers
    > to do DNS poisoning, I want to have my Linux machines do
    > local caching and access the ISP's DNS servers directly.


    For anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, the attack is described at
    http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/

    Instead of bypassing the dns servers specified in the router,
    why not protect the router by turning off UPnP, and manually
    configure the router to forward the ports you want forwarded?

    Note that changing the dns servers, isn't the only damage that
    can be done with UPnP.

    > Incidentally, I have resolvconf disabled via chkconfig, but
    > it seems to be running at boot time, anyway.


    You may as well leave it enabled. Take a look at the scripts
    with grep -r resolv /etc/sysconfig/*

    > Any suggestions?


    If you have fixed nameservers you want to use, edit the file
    /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head as per the google groups
    article, above.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  9. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On 2008-02-24, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:10:16 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    >> into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    >> guys: How is it done?)

    >
    > See http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...8870aacbcdf52?
    >
    >> the router query the actual ISP DNS servers. Now, in
    >> response to reports the black hats are cracking home routers
    >> to do DNS poisoning, I want to have my Linux machines do
    >> local caching and access the ISP's DNS servers directly.

    >
    > For anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, the attack is described at
    > http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/
    >
    > Instead of bypassing the dns servers specified in the router,
    > why not protect the router by turning off UPnP, and manually
    > configure the router to forward the ports you want forwarded?
    >
    > Note that changing the dns servers, isn't the only damage that
    > can be done with UPnP.
    >
    >> Incidentally, I have resolvconf disabled via chkconfig, but
    >> it seems to be running at boot time, anyway.

    >
    > You may as well leave it enabled. Take a look at the scripts
    > with grep -r resolv /etc/sysconfig/*
    >
    >> Any suggestions?

    >
    > If you have fixed nameservers you want to use, edit the file
    > /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head as per the google groups
    > article, above.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins


    Thanks to all who responded. I'll turn resolvconf back on,
    see if that makes the stuff in the {head,base,tail} files
    show up in /etc/resolv.conf, and turn off UPnP on the
    routers--not necessarily in that order.

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  10. Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Does someone here know how to get three nameserver entries
    > into /etc/resolv.conf? (And for the benefit of any wise
    > guys: How is it done?)


    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...06233aec170091

    If that URL breaks google in groups for: mathog "resolv.conf" three

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  11. [Solved] Re: how to get three nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf

    On 2008-02-25, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > ...
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded. I'll turn resolvconf back on,
    > see if that makes the stuff in the {head,base,tail} files
    > show up in /etc/resolv.conf, and turn off UPnP on the
    > routers--not necessarily in that order.


    It worked. I put the following in resolvconf's input files:

    ==> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base <==
    # base start
    # base end

    ==> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head <==
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # head start
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    # head end

    ==> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail <==
    # tail start
    # tail end

    Restarting the network produced the following in
    /etc/resolv.conf:

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # head start
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    # head end
    nameserver ...
    nameserver ...
    search localnet
    # tail start
    # tail end

    So, the 'head' and 'tail' files work as documented in the
    man page, but the 'base' file apparently does not get used.
    (The two nameserver lines with IP addresses redacted come
    from the DNS{1,2} entries for the static-IP eth0.)

    Regarding the counsel to disable UPnP, I couldn't find
    anything on the non-wireless router about UPnP. Is UPnP
    _only_ a wireless thing?

    (By the way, in the process, I learned to _NOT_ try to
    restart the 'network' service on an NFS client machine. The
    "service network stop" command hung, leaving the system
    broken. Then, when rebooting, one of them hung while
    shutting down the ALSA driver, which ended up requiring fsck
    after magic sysrq reboot. At least I was smart enough to
    not try to restart the network via ssh. :-)

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  12. Re: [Solved] Re: how to get three nameserver entries in/etc/resolv.conf

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:55:58 -0500, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > So, the 'head' and 'tail' files work as documented in the
    > man page, but the 'base' file apparently does not get used.


    That's good to know. I never tried using that one, so hadn't come across
    that.

    > Regarding the counsel to disable UPnP, I couldn't find
    > anything on the non-wireless router about UPnP. Is UPnP
    > _only_ a wireless thing?


    No. Most wired routers have the "feature", and have it enabled by default.

    What is the make/model of the router?

    > (By the way, in the process, I learned to _NOT_ try to
    > restart the 'network' service on an NFS client machine. The


    Heh, heh. That's good to know too. Thanks for posting the info.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  13. Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:06:08 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > For anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, the attack is described at
    > http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/


    If you are using a router, make sure you turn off the Upnp "feature", otherwise
    your dns servers, and other router settings can be changed, by visiting a
    site (including hacked ad servers), with flash, or any other plugin, that
    allows sending a SOAP request, from your computer, back to your router.

    Note that this security hole affects all operating systems, and all browsers
    that support plugins.

    Replying to myself, and changing the subject, to ensure everyone takes
    a look at this.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  14. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:02:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:06:08 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> For anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, the attack is described at
    >> http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/

    >
    > If you are using a router, make sure you turn off the Upnp "feature",


    I looked around in my MI424-WR Actiontec Router and was unable to see
    anything which would disable such a "feature"

    > otherwise
    > your dns servers, and other router settings can be changed, by visiting a
    > site (including hacked ad servers), with flash, or any other plugin, that
    > allows sending a SOAP request, from your computer, back to your router.
    >
    > Note that this security hole affects all operating systems, and all browsers
    > that support plugins.


    Yep, one of the reasons I run with NoScript Add On in Firefox with all
    boxes checked in Untrusted Tab Under NoScript Options.

    Same possible exploit also foiled by using bind/named with forwarders
    set to OpenDNS servers.

    Also hopping privoxy blocking ads, foils any malware on ad servers.

  15. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:21:52 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I looked around in my MI424-WR Actiontec Router and was unable to see
    > anything which would disable such a "feature"


    According to http://www.fiberfaq.com/admin/attach...4wr_manual.pdf
    it's an option on the advanced settings screen. It's not clear from the manual,
    whether or not it's on, by default. I'm curious, as to whether or not it is.

    Using the opendsn servers, or for that matter, anything other then the ip
    addresses from the router, will protect from bad dns ip addresess in the router,
    but doesn't protect against having other settings in the router changed, such
    as turning the wireless access on, if it wasn't already, and removing security
    from the wireless connection.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  16. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:25:24 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:21:52 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> I looked around in my MI424-WR Actiontec Router and was unable to see
    >> anything which would disable such a "feature"

    >
    > According to

    http://www.fiberfaq.com/admin/attach...4wr_manual.pdf
    > it's an option on the advanced settings screen. It's not clear from
    > the manual, whether or not it's on, by default. I'm curious, as to
    > whether or not it is.


    I would tell you except, I am curious as to what the field/option is named.

    > Using the opendsn servers, or for that matter, anything other then
    > the ip addresses from the router, will protect from bad dns ip
    > addresess in the router, but doesn't protect against having other
    > settings in the router changed, such as turning the wireless access
    > on, if it wasn't already, and removing security from the wireless
    > connection.


    True, I had thought of using wget to fetch the pages and compare
    against local copies to warn of router changes.

  17. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On 2008-03-02, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:02:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:06:08 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>> For anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, the attack is described at
    >>> http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/

    >>
    >> If you are using a router, make sure you turn off the Upnp "feature",

    >
    > I looked around in my MI424-WR Actiontec Router and was unable to see
    > anything which would disable such a "feature"


    On my Verizon-supplied Actiontec MI424-WR, the UPnP control
    is under "Advanced" from the main menu, then in the second
    column from the left, lower section, right under "Network
    Objects".

    My other router (because Verizon may have a backdoor to the
    Actiontec) is a D-Link DI-604. Looking more thoroughly, I
    found the UPnP setting under "Tools" in the upper tabs,
    "Misc" on the left-hand button.

    >> otherwise
    >> your dns servers, and other router settings can be changed, by visiting a
    >> site (including hacked ad servers), with flash, or any other plugin, that
    >> allows sending a SOAP request, from your computer, back to your router.
    >>
    >> Note that this security hole affects all operating systems, and all browsers
    >> that support plugins.


    Yikes! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

    > Yep, one of the reasons I run with NoScript Add On in Firefox with all
    > boxes checked in Untrusted Tab Under NoScript Options.
    >
    > Same possible exploit also foiled by using bind/named with forwarders
    > set to OpenDNS servers.
    >
    > Also hopping privoxy blocking ads, foils any malware on ad servers.


    It sounds like that's a good idea.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  18. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:23:04 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On my Verizon-supplied Actiontec MI424-WR, the UPnP control
    > is under "Advanced" from the main menu, then in the second
    > column from the left, lower section, right under "Network
    > Objects".


    Ok, found it. It is on by default.


    >> Also hopping privoxy blocking ads, foils any malware on ad servers.

    >
    > It sounds like that's a good idea.


    If you want to play with it, install instructions here
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6245f3f5fab041

    with a bunch of sites added to +block


  19. Re: Turn off upnp in all routers - IMPORTANT

    on Sunday 02 March 2008 11:02
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    [snip]
    > Replying to myself, and changing the subject, to ensure everyone takes
    > a look at this.

    [snip]

    Despite the change of subject it is still a reply. Threading
    newsreaders (like Knode) hid your message inside the old
    thread.


    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  20. Privoxy -- PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:23:04 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> On my Verizon-supplied Actiontec MI424-WR, the UPnP control
    >> is under "Advanced" from the main menu, then in the second
    >> column from the left, lower section, right under "Network
    >> Objects".

    >
    > Ok, found it. It is on by default.
    >
    >
    >>> Also hopping privoxy blocking ads, foils any malware on ad servers.

    >> It sounds like that's a good idea.

    >
    > If you want to play with it, install instructions here
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6245f3f5fab041
    >
    > with a bunch of sites added to +block


    PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT hat on.

    BitTwister's suggestions of privoxy finally led me
    to urpmi the package and use his instructions and
    configuration file to get started.

    IT IS WONDERFUL.

    I had intended to read up and figure out how to
    use it, but it is doing such a great job of
    blocking/stopping stuff that I had been seeing but
    did not want to, that I have not altered any setting
    since the install.

    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (Repeat 10 times for emphasis.)

    Many thanks, BitTwister!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast