flash player plugin - Mandriva

This is a discussion on flash player plugin - Mandriva ; I updated to the 'version 9,0,115,0" flash plugin by RPM from the Adobe web site. Now flash is hosed in all three browsers: konqueror, firefox, and opera. In konqueror, when I either enter or leave (I can't really tell which) ...

  1. flash player plugin

    I updated to the 'version 9,0,115,0" flash plugin by RPM from the Adobe
    web site. Now flash is hosed in all three browsers: konqueror, firefox,
    and opera.

    In konqueror, when I either enter or leave (I can't really tell which) a
    flash'y page, I get the popup:

    "The application unknown (nspluginviewer) crashed
    and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)."

    I've checked and rechecked the results of the install, and
    /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so is there, and all 3 browsers
    have links to that file.

    I don't even see a way to drop back to a earlier release.
    Ideas?

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  2. Re: flash player plugin

    On 22 Feb 2008 23:37:42 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > I updated to the 'version 9,0,115,0" flash plugin by RPM from the Adobe
    > web site. Now flash is hosed in all three browsers: konqueror, firefox,
    > and opera.

    No idea about konqueror and opera, but firefox works with the tar install.

    > I don't even see a way to drop back to a earlier release.
    > Ideas?

    You should not have to. Been using it in Firefox since it was released.

    My suggestion, click up a terminal
    su - root
    mcc
    Under Software Management, Add/remove software seek if you can find
    the flashplayer package and remove it.
    quit mcc

    my admin diary for installing adobe's flash tar package:
    Note: /accounts/downloads is where my browser account downloads files.
    Change instructions to where you download your tar file.

    #********** start Shockwaveflash playser install *********
    #*
    #* Shockwaveflash player 9 install
    #*
    #*
    #* http://adobe.com
    #* click get Adobe Flash player
    #* Pick tar, not rpm
    #*
    #************************************************* **********
    exit 0 # just in case some newbie tries to run this as a script

    # close/exit all email & browser accounts and/or apps
    # click up a terminal

    su - root

    mkdir -p /root/tmp
    cd /root/tmp
    /bin/rm -rf *flash_player*
    tar -xvzf /accounts/downloads/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    cd *flash_player*

    /bin/rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

    ../flashplayer-installer
    /usr/lib/mozilla

    cd
    /bin/rm -rf /root/tmp/*flash_player*

    exit

    # to test flash

    click up a browser in your user account and click red button to roll
    dice at http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/help/flash_test.htm

    firefox http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/help/flash_test.htm

    #**************** end Shockwaveflash playser install ***************

  3. Re: flash player plugin

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:02:29 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 22 Feb 2008 23:37:42 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >> I updated to the 'version 9,0,115,0" flash plugin by RPM from the Adobe
    >> web site. Now flash is hosed in all three browsers: konqueror, firefox,
    >> and opera.

    > No idea about konqueror and opera, but firefox works with the tar install.

    Thanks for your reply. With your guidance I was able to unravel the
    snafu and complete a proper install.

    Somehow - someway - the install I did with the RPM off of the Adobe site
    also ( _ALSO_ ) installed a "libflashplayer.sXo.7.0_r61" in a separate
    plugin library than where it installed libflashplayer.so.

    Did it on two (2) machines here: 1 MDV 2008.0 and 1 MDK 10.2 -- from
    2 independently downloaded copies of the same rpm (at about the same
    time.)

    "aboutlugins" showed _both_ available for flash.
    I had to scrape that sucker off by hand before anything would work --
    even after the seemingly successful `rpm -e` of flash-plugin.

    Now flash is playing nice in konqueror, opera, and firefox on both
    machines.

    So weird...

    Jonesy
    --