HP Printer Manager: Password - Mandriva

This is a discussion on HP Printer Manager: Password - Mandriva ; Using a HP5150 deskjet under Mandriva 2008.0 (latest kernel), I had a job in the printer queue I wanted to delete. Thought I would try HP Printer Manager, and requested 'delete '. It came back with the request: "Enter password ...

  1. HP Printer Manager: Password

    Using a HP5150 deskjet under Mandriva 2008.0 (latest kernel), I
    had a job in the printer queue I wanted to delete.

    Thought I would try HP Printer Manager, and requested 'delete
    '.

    It came back with the request:

    "Enter password for at localhost".

    Tried the password for ; it repeated the request for p/w..
    Tried the root password; it repeated the request for p/w.

    I don't have any other passwords. What does the team think it
    had in mind?

    (I eventually deleted the job via localhost:631.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:29:17 +0000, I wrote:

    > I don't have any other passwords. What does the team think it
    > had in mind?

    No one here using HP Printer Manager?

    (If so, will try posting elsewhere.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  3. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:41:32 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > will try posting elsewhere

    Just for the record, I also tried my lppasswd p/w; no joy.
    (And - in case I had misremembered it - I replaced that p/w
    and tried again - in vain.)

    So, I have changed the call of the HP Print Manager by
    prefixing it with 'kdesu':

    kdesu /usr/bin/hp-toolbox

    and - after entry of the root p/w - all works fine, with no more
    requests for any password.

    But I still feel the program should be usable by to
    control his/her own print files...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:06:19 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > So, I have changed the call of the HP Print Manager by
    > prefixing it with 'kdesu':
    > kdesu /usr/bin/hp-toolbox

    I have no experience with the HP Print manager, but you could replace the
    kdesu with sudo, and add a line to /etc/sudoers with
    maurice ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hp-toolbox
    so that you could run it as root, without having to enter the password.
    (replace maurice, with the actual login id you use)

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:30:42 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > add a line to /etc/sudoers

    Thanks for the idea, Dave, but I'll have to postpone its use
    until I have a few hours to spare to again try to understand how
    to use the weird 'visudo'.

    (Im puzzled that root can use e.g. kwrite to modify e.g.
    /etc/fstab, but has to use the quirky visudo to modify
    /etc/sudoers...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:20:08 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > (Im puzzled that root can use e.g. kwrite to modify e.g.
    > /etc/fstab, but has to use the quirky visudo to modify
    > /etc/sudoers...)

    I find vi unintuitive, as well.

    # grep EDITOR ./.bashrc
    export EDITOR=/usr/bin/mcedit

    Use whichever editor you're most comfortable with. After you save the
    file, and exit the editor, visudo will check for syntax errors, and
    if it finds any, will prompt you with "What now?", which you can respond
    to with e (re-edit), x (throw away changes, and exit), or q (keep the
    changes, ignoring the errors, and exit).

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:29:17 +0000, I wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have any other passwords. What does the team think it
    >> had in mind?

    > No one here using HP Printer Manager?
    >
    > (If so, will try posting elsewhere.)

    I use HP Device Manager (same thing?) with my PSC 2110 and Deskjet 5650,
    and have deleted a few jobs along the way. Never had it ask me for a
    password, though. Perhaps my general Mandriva security level is lower
    than yours.

    TJ

  8. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:07:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > export EDITOR=/usr/bin/mcedit

    Brilliant! Many thanks!

    (Actually, last night I found a chapter on 'vi' in the
    O'Reilly "Linux in a Nutshell", and figured out enough to be
    able to add a line to sudoers. (Then 10 mins to find how to
    write the file and exit...)
    However, I then discovered there was a typo in the line, and
    failed completely to figure out how to change or delete the
    line, so just added a correct line afterwards!)

    This from someone who was writing machine code for an ALGOL-60
    compiler on a first-generation computer (EE DEUCE) in the
    1960's...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:18:11 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Never had it ask me for a password, though.

    Further and closer examination showed me that it does not ask
    for a password when deleting one's *own* print files.

    However, if you try to make an unauthorised change (e.g.
    stop/start printer or delete someone else's files), instead of
    putting out "You are not authorised to make that change" it puts
    out "Enter password for on localhost", and none of the
    available passwords will satisfy that request. (Checked and
    double checked: no user, root, or lppasswd p/w will suffice.)

    What happens if *you* try to e.g. 'stop' the printer?!

    Perhaps it has some password regime of its own, but I was unable
    to find it.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  10. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:18:11 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Never had it ask me for a password, though.

    > Further and closer examination showed me that it does not ask
    > for a password when deleting one's *own* print files.
    >
    > However, if you try to make an unauthorised change (e.g.
    > stop/start printer or delete someone else's files), instead of
    > putting out "You are not authorised to make that change" it puts
    > out "Enter password for on localhost", and none of the
    > available passwords will satisfy that request. (Checked and
    > double checked: no user, root, or lppasswd p/w will suffice.)
    >
    > What happens if *you* try to e.g. 'stop' the printer?!
    >
    > Perhaps it has some password regime of its own, but I was unable
    > to find it.

    I run a single-user system, so *I'm* the only one who ever does any
    printing. "root" is too scared he will mess something up to do more than
    the most basic of operations. Even then, he approaches them with
    trepidation, the wimp. ;-)

    TJ

  11. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > (Actually, last night I found a chapter on 'vi' in the
    > O'Reilly "Linux in a Nutshell", and figured out enough to be
    > able to add a line to sudoers. (Then 10 mins to find how to
    > write the file and exit...)
    > However, I then discovered there was a typo in the line, and
    > failed completely to figure out how to change or delete the
    > line, so just added a correct line afterwards!)
    >
    > This from someone who was writing machine code for an ALGOL-60
    > compiler on a first-generation computer (EE DEUCE) in the
    > 1960's...

    If you truly wish to use vi (or, better yet, vim or vim-enhanced
    which is usually the program available under Linux), you might
    start by reading this.

    http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/usd/12....html#section1

    The paper is a bit aged, and (e.g.) you will probably not need
    to set the terminal type, but it is an excellent presentation.
    If you decide you like it, info vim and man vim will each
    deliver over 400 lines of documentation.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: HP Printer Manager: Password

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 02:51:36 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > If you truly wish to use vi...you might start by reading this:

    Thanks, Jim - but for the moment I'll pass!

    But I've filed that reference etc. just in case...

    --
    /\/\aurice