Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem using GNOME apps in KDE - Mandriva ; I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack. All sorts of problems have ensued, but one of the ones that really has me tearing out my hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and other GNOME applications not ...

  1. Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.

    All sorts of problems have ensued, but one of
    the ones that really has me tearing out my
    hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and
    other GNOME applications not wanting to work
    in KDE. This was not a problem before the
    upgrade, and I'll make a guess that it's
    connected to the upgrade to GNOME2 that's
    included in 2007.0

    I've tried launching from a terminal command
    line and get messages such as the following:

    (galeon:4408): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
    default has no name

    (galeon:4408): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
    default has no directories

    (gnome_segv2:4417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file
    for default has no name

    (gnome_segv2:4417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file
    for default has no directories

    And it dies there.

    Similar messages occur when attempting to start
    Sylpheed or other GNOME-based apps in KDE. I
    can run the apps under IceWM, but not KDE.

    I've got directories under my HOME called
    ..theme and .icons with a named theme, but
    they don't seem to make any difference when
    in KDE. I really prefer using KDE for many
    reasons, so having to switch over to another
    wm just to do my online stuff is a PITA.

    Ideas or solutions anyone?

    TIA.

    Nyssa, who is almost ready to backgrade to 10.0

  2. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:57:07 -0500, Nyssa wrote:
    > I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    > Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.

    Yuck, why not install 2008.0
    I think I saw a recent post which indcated 2007.0 security fix support ends
    sometime this year.

    > All sorts of problems have ensued,

    Yes, I can believe that statement.

    I strongly recommend to never upgrade from different releases.

    I do not even do a do a version upgrade. Clean install for me every time.

    You can do a clean install into a separate partition and you wind up with
    a multi-boot system.
    When you are happy with the new install, the old partition becomes the
    next test partition for a new install.

    > but one of
    > the ones that really has me tearing out my
    > hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and
    > other GNOME applications not wanting to work
    > in KDE.

    I just installed galeon, entered galeon in an xterm on release 2008.0
    and it came up without your complaints.

    > Ideas or solutions anyone?

    Clean install of 2008.0, pick Custom Install, Pick both kde and gnome
    set mirrors,
    get all updates,
    install any additional packages (galeon)
    Should work just like mine did.

  3. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:57:07 -0500, Nyssa wrote:
    >> I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    >> Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.

    > Yuck, why not install 2008.0
    > I think I saw a recent post which indcated 2007.0 security fix support ends
    > sometime this year.
    >
    >> All sorts of problems have ensued,

    > Yes, I can believe that statement.
    >
    > I strongly recommend to never upgrade from different releases.
    >
    > I do not even do a do a version upgrade. Clean install for me every time.
    >
    > You can do a clean install into a separate partition and you wind up with
    > a multi-boot system.
    > When you are happy with the new install, the old partition becomes the
    > next test partition for a new install.
    >
    >> but one of
    >> the ones that really has me tearing out my
    >> hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and
    >> other GNOME applications not wanting to work
    >> in KDE.

    > I just installed galeon, entered galeon in an xterm on release 2008.0
    > and it came up without your complaints.
    >
    >> Ideas or solutions anyone?

    > Clean install of 2008.0, pick Custom Install, Pick both kde and gnome
    > set mirrors,
    > get all updates,
    > install any additional packages (galeon)
    > Should work just like mine did.

    There are a few problems with those suggestions.
    I don't have enough space left on my harddrives
    to do another separate install. I'm already doing
    a triple boot in any case to three different
    OSs. lol

    I'm using an older computer. From what I've
    read of 2008, my processor speed isn't up to
    the minimum standards. Oh, and I'm on dialup,
    so downloading megatons of stuff isn't an option
    either.

    As for clean installs, I've had mixed results
    either way. I think it's just the luck of the
    draw. Mucho problems occur, just different ones
    depending on clean or upgrade.

    Thanks for the input. I'll see if anyone else
    has some thoughts before I get violent and
    wipe the drive or anything.

    Nyssa, who also has a soundcard problem, but
    will address one mess at a time

  4. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    Nyssa writes:

    > I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    > Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.
    >
    > All sorts of problems have ensued, but one of
    > the ones that really has me tearing out my
    > hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and
    > other GNOME applications not wanting to work
    > in KDE. This was not a problem before the
    > upgrade, and I'll make a guess that it's
    > connected to the upgrade to GNOME2 that's
    > included in 2007.0
    >
    > I've tried launching from a terminal command
    > line and get messages such as the following:
    >
    > (galeon:4408): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
    > default has no name
    >
    > (galeon:4408): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
    > default has no directories
    >
    > (gnome_segv2:4417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file
    > for default has no name
    >
    > (gnome_segv2:4417): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file
    > for default has no directories
    >
    > And it dies there.
    >
    > Similar messages occur when attempting to start
    > Sylpheed or other GNOME-based apps in KDE. I
    > can run the apps under IceWM, but not KDE.
    >
    > I've got directories under my HOME called
    > .theme and .icons with a named theme, but
    > they don't seem to make any difference when
    > in KDE. I really prefer using KDE for many
    > reasons, so having to switch over to another
    > wm just to do my online stuff is a PITA.
    >
    > Ideas or solutions anyone?

    Sounds like a "theme" problem.

    There are a whole bunch of .gnome* directories
    in my $HOME, I suspect the problem
    is in one of them.
    Try renaming some of them or just go into the
    desktop configs and reset your theme.

  5. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    Nyssa wrote:
    > I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    > Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.

    snip
    > And it dies there.
    >
    > Similar messages occur when attempting to start
    > Sylpheed or other GNOME-based apps in KDE. I
    > can run the apps under IceWM, but not KDE.
    >
    > I've got directories under my HOME called
    > ..theme and .icons with a named theme, but
    > they don't seem to make any difference when
    > in KDE. I really prefer using KDE for many
    > reasons, so having to switch over to another
    > wm just to do my online stuff is a PITA.
    >
    > Ideas or solutions anyone?
    >
    > Nyssa, who is almost ready to backgrade to 10.0

    ============================
    Why not upgrade to MDV 2008.0 or 2008.1 Beta2
    MDV2007 might not be supported for 'very' much longer
    let alone MDV10.0 and following versions
    Your prob might be 'upgrading' instead of a 'new install'
    I've never had probs with running Gnome apps on KDE.

    Frank

  6. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:54:48 -0500, Nyssa wrote:

    > There are a few problems with those suggestions.
    > I don't have enough space left on my harddrives
    > to do another separate install. I'm already doing
    > a triple boot in any case to three different
    > OSs. lol

    I can relate,
    $ grep title /boot/grub/menu.lst
    title linux
    title 2008_0
    title 2008_1
    title 20081_64
    title hotbu
    title 2007_1
    title kubu7
    title ubuntu
    title spare
    title Rescue_HP
    title XP_Home

    > I'm using an older computer. From what I've
    > read of 2008, my processor speed isn't up to
    > the minimum standards. Oh, and I'm on dialup,
    > so downloading megatons of stuff isn't an option
    > either.

    That is bad news.
    You would need the latest kernel patch with prevents
    local root access.

    I remember taking my pc into work on weekends and do my updates
    through their network.

    You might stop in to a public library and ask what their rules are on
    hooking your computer to there network.

    > As for clean installs, I've had mixed results
    > either way. I think it's just the luck of the
    > draw. Mucho problems occur, just different ones
    > depending on clean or upgrade.

    Those old releases were problematic alright.

    > Nyssa, who also has a soundcard problem, but
    > will address one mess at a time

    Yes, 10.x had different device drivers from 200x and at
    one time you could have both running when you did an upgrade.

  7. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    Nyssa wrote:
    > I've recently upgraded from Mandrake 10.0 to
    > Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack.
    >
    > All sorts of problems have ensued, but one of
    > the ones that really has me tearing out my
    > hair is the refusal of Sylpheed, Galeon, and
    > other GNOME applications not wanting to work
    > in KDE.

    I gave 2007.0 a pass but installed 2007.1 and had
    no such problems.

    Have you updated everything from mirrors? With
    an *.0 install or upgrade, I would expect up to
    700 MB of updates. I realize this is a lot if
    on dial-up (been there, done that) but it is needed.

    Download packages a few at a time until you
    are confident things are working. Then just after
    midnight, as root start off with
    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    and check back the next morning to see how things
    went.

    Kill the task (if needed). A few nights should
    get things in order.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    On 2008-02-22, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:54:48 -0500, Nyssa wrote:
    >
    >> There are a few problems with those suggestions.
    >> I don't have enough space left on my harddrives
    >> to do another separate install. I'm already doing
    >> a triple boot in any case to three different
    >> OSs. lol

    > I can relate,
    > $ grep title /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > title linux
    > title 2008_0
    > title 2008_1
    > title 20081_64
    > title hotbu
    > title 2007_1
    > title kubu7
    > title ubuntu
    > title spare
    > title Rescue_HP
    > title XP_Home
    >

    >> I'm using an older computer. From what I've
    >> read of 2008, my processor speed isn't up to
    >> the minimum standards. Oh, and I'm on dialup,
    >> so downloading megatons of stuff isn't an option
    >> either.

    > That is bad news.
    > You would need the latest kernel patch with prevents
    > local root access.
    >
    > I remember taking my pc into work on weekends and do my updates
    > through their network.
    >
    > You might stop in to a public library and ask what their rules are on
    > hooking your computer to there network.

    Or, take a thumb drive to the library and bring it home with
    the needed stuff on it.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  9. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:46:53 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Or, take a thumb drive to the library and bring it home with
    > the needed stuff on it.

    I was thinking about all *hdlist* files needed to know which packages
    and what not would be needed for download.

  10. Re: Problem using GNOME apps in KDE

    On 2008-02-22, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:46:53 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Or, take a thumb drive to the library and bring it home with
    >> the needed stuff on it.

    > I was thinking about all *hdlist* files needed to know which packages
    > and what not would be needed for download.

    Worst case is two trips to the library, one to get the
    hdlist files and one to get the RPMs.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net