Hardware list - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Hardware list - Mandriva ; Hi all the Mandriva hardware list is down and I'm looking for a new printer. There seems to be plenty of cheap printers come copiers come scanners around. I'm Running 2008 with the latest updates 2.6.12.18 can anyone suggest 1 ...

  1. Hardware list

    Hi all the Mandriva hardware list is down and I'm looking for a new printer.
    There seems to be plenty of cheap printers come copiers come scanners
    around.
    I'm Running 2008 with the latest updates 2.6.12.18 can anyone suggest 1
    such device that will work out of the box
    thanks
    bilmc

  2. Re: Hardware list

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:49:21 +0000, bilmc wrote:

    > Hi all the Mandriva hardware list is down and I'm looking for a new
    > printer. There seems to be plenty of cheap printers come copiers come
    > scanners around.
    > I'm Running 2008 with the latest updates 2.6.12.18 can anyone suggest 1
    > such device that will work out of the box thanks
    > bilmc

    I've had good experience with HP and Epson inkjet printers on Linux.
    Samsung, HP, Brother have good support of laser printers. Generally, if
    it speaks a form of PCL it will probably work - another good sign is if
    it mentions MAC on the box - a few will even admit they work with Linux.

  3. Re: Hardware list

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:49:21 GMT, bilmc wrote:
    > Hi all the Mandriva hardware list is down and I'm looking for a new printer.
    > There seems to be plenty of cheap printers come copiers come scanners
    > around.
    > I'm Running 2008 with the latest updates 2.6.12.18 can anyone suggest 1
    > such device that will work out of the box thanks

    The HP c3100 works out of the box, scans and prints color.
    You need to look into what replacement cartridges cost.

    I do have a problem with paper feeding automatically.
    May be 20lb weight paper I bought.

  4. Re: Hardware list

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:49:21 GMT, bilmc wrote:
    >> Hi all the Mandriva hardware list is down and I'm looking for a new printer.
    >> There seems to be plenty of cheap printers come copiers come scanners
    >> around.
    >> I'm Running 2008 with the latest updates 2.6.12.18 can anyone suggest 1
    >> such device that will work out of the box thanks

    > The HP c3100 works out of the box, scans and prints color.
    > You need to look into what replacement cartridges cost.
    >
    > I do have a problem with paper feeding automatically.
    > May be 20lb weight paper I bought.

    "the kernel should read 2.6.22.18"

    Hi Thanks for that info looks like the HP3100 is no longer available or
    that's maybe a US Model # but this is the type of model I'm looking for.

  5. Re: Hardware list

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:47:50 -0500, Bill McCaffery wrote:

    > Hi Thanks for that info looks like the HP3100 is no longer available or
    > that's maybe a US Model # but this is the type of model I'm looking for.

    Before buying a printer, make sure it's in the "Perfectly" column of thelist at
    http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Anyone

    If you're thinking of getting a combo printer/scanner, check
    http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
    for the supported scanners.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins