Types of Kernel - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Types of Kernel - Mandriva ; System: Mandriva x86_64, 2008.0 I just updated my kernel, and noticed that you can pick different types of kernel according to your needs, but the package manager does not usually say what each version does, in fact it's usually a ...

  1. Types of Kernel

    System: Mandriva x86_64, 2008.0

    I just updated my kernel, and noticed that you can pick different types
    of kernel according to your needs, but the package manager does not
    usually say what each version does, in fact it's usually a blank
    description.

    What is the difference between say kernel-desktop (what I use), and
    picking the option for "installing a 'virtual rpm' kernel"?

  2. Re: Types of Kernel

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:59:54 -0500, Ar wrote:

    > What is the difference between say kernel-desktop (what I use), and
    > picking the option for "installing a 'virtual rpm' kernel"?

    All of the xxx-kernel-yyy rpm packages contain the kernel module
    for compiling module xxx under kernel yyy, using dkms. They are
    not complete kernels, just individual modules.

    If you do install one of those modules, you must have the appropriate
    kernel devel package installed first.

    For example, if the kernel you have installed is kernel-desktop-2.6.22.18-1mdv,
    then you should have kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.18-1mdv installed before
    trying to compile any kernel modules, whether through dkms, or third
    party sources.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins