Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help! - Mandriva ; I do not think the motherboard is bad, just not fully supported by Mandriva at this time. I mean, if it was really broken it wouldn't have been possible to get the installer to run, and it did. No instability ...

  1. Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help!

    I do not think the motherboard is bad, just not fully supported by
    Mandriva at this time. I mean, if it was really broken it wouldn't have
    been possible to get the installer to run, and it did. No instability
    noted while in the console option of the rescue mode. Also memtest
    ran stably and the DOS based WD diagnostics ran fine.

    Found this note in the newegg reviews (heavily redacted):

    ....I booted with Gentoo 2007.0... Linux kernels 2.6.20.x boot and work
    just fine. I can't get any later kernels to boot, but this just might be
    my inability to get the configuraton right...

    Others are reporting similar problems with other 690G boards, for instance:

    The next one suggests using acpi=force for the installed linux on yet
    another 690G motherboard (odd advice since acpi=off is the only way
    to install so far):

    http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/pub/reviews.php?product_id=384

    What is the "spread spectrum" option on the SATA? The drive has no
    jumpers so that is apparently enabled, and by default it was enabled
    on the BIOS too, but what does it do?

    I'll keep looking. Hopefully somebody, somewhere with a working linux
    install posted all of their BIOS settings.

    David Mathog

  2. Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help!

    David Mathog wrote:

    > What is the "spread spectrum" option on the SATA? The drive has no
    > jumpers so that is apparently enabled, and by default it was enabled
    > on the BIOS too, but what does it do?

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ers/page5.html

    "FSB Spread Spectrum : Disabled. This feature helps systems pass
    European electromagnetic interference (EMI) tests. It accomplishes
    this by constantly varying, ever so slightly, the frequency of the
    Front Side Bus (FSB). Be warned that enabling this feature with large
    values can result in Internet connection disruption, as well as
    stability problems if you overclock your system."

    Digital electronics radiates noise. A square wave has energy at the
    fundamental frequency and at the odd harmonics. A pulse train with
    slightly different pulse widths will have its energy spread over a wider
    range of frequencies. So if it radiates the same amoung of energy
    *overall* then the energy *at any given frequency* will be less. As long
    as the variation is within the tolerance of the equipment, there
    /should/ be no problems...

    Frank

  3. Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help!

    Frank Peelo wrote:
    > David Mathog wrote:
    >
    >> What is the "spread spectrum" option on the SATA? The drive has no
    >> jumpers so that is apparently enabled, and by default it was enabled
    >> on the BIOS too, but what does it do?

    BIOS manuals these days are pretty close to useless. They consist of
    page after page of entries like:

    FOOBAR WIDGET
    Enable or Disable FOOBAR WIDGET.

    Which is of no use whatsoever if you do not know a priori what FOOBAR
    WIDGET does.

    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ers/page5.html
    >
    > "FSB Spread Spectrum : Disabled. This feature helps systems pass
    > European electromagnetic interference (EMI) tests. It accomplishes
    > this by constantly varying, ever so slightly, the frequency of the
    > Front Side Bus (FSB). Be warned that enabling this feature with large
    > values can result in Internet connection disruption, as well as
    > stability problems if you overclock your system."

    So if the drive has this enabled and the BIOS has it disabled would
    there be a problem? I'm thinking that should be ok, but the other
    direction could be a problem. The WD documentation is a bit confusing
    since they apparently use jumpers on pins 1 and 2 to disable OR enable
    this feature, depending on the model, see the top 3 pictures at this link:

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....2715284#jumper

    Thanks for the info.

    David Mathog

  4. Re: 2008.0 on ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard - help!

    David Mathog wrote:
    > Frank Peelo wrote:

    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ers/page5.html
    >>
    >> "FSB Spread Spectrum : Disabled. This feature helps systems pass
    >> European electromagnetic interference (EMI) tests. It accomplishes
    >> this by constantly varying, ever so slightly, the frequency of the
    >> Front Side Bus (FSB). Be warned that enabling this feature with large
    >> values can result in Internet connection disruption, as well as
    >> stability problems if you overclock your system."
    >>

    > So if the drive has this enabled and the BIOS has it disabled would
    > there be a problem?

    No idea. But I think I would turn it off everywhere when debugging, and
    maybe turn it on after everything works.

    > I'm thinking that should be ok, but the other
    > direction could be a problem. The WD documentation is a bit confusing
    > since they apparently use jumpers on pins 1 and 2 to disable OR enable
    > this feature, depending on the model, see the top 3 pictures at this link:
    >
    > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....2715284#jumper

    Lovely.

    So I guess the only way you know is from the shape of the connector
    beside the jumpers? The two diagrams look pretty much identical to me,
    apart from that.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread