logging for /usr/bin/mdkapplet - Mandriva

This is a discussion on logging for /usr/bin/mdkapplet - Mandriva ; How do i change the logging in /usr/bin/mdkapplet so it goes to its own file instead of /var/log/messages? I've tried to read through this abomination of a script to understand what its doing but there's no reference to the /var/log/messages ...

  1. logging for /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    How do i change the logging in /usr/bin/mdkapplet so it goes to its own file
    instead of /var/log/messages? I've tried to read through this abomination of
    a script to understand what its doing but there's no reference to
    the /var/log/messages file in script, although thats where the log output is
    going. I also cant tell if its using syslogd or not
    I'd like it to log to its own log file instead of appending
    to /var/log/messages
    Eric

  2. Re: logging for /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:45:59 -0500, Eric wrote:

    > How do i change the logging in /usr/bin/mdkapplet so it goes to its own file
    > instead of /var/log/messages? I've tried to read through this abomination of
    > going. I also cant tell if its using syslogd or not

    libDrakX/log.pm uses c::LOG_LOCAL1, which if you dig throug the perl stuff,
    does use syslogd.

    As all drakx utilities use the log facility local1, you would have to
    make changes similar to the ones I described in response to your
    syslog.conf message, plus add a line for all messages from the syslog
    facility local1, going to a new file.

    Note $ rpm -q -f /etc/syslog.conf
    sysklogd-1.4.2-5mdv2008.0
    so any updates to the package sysklogd may overwrite any changes you've
    made.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins