On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:46:33 -0500, wrote:

> Booted into the rescue mode using MDV 2008.0 CD1 (and "text
> acpi=off"), went to console, mounted
> the partitions - they looked fine. Ran uname -a from the mounted
> partition and it showed 2.6.22.9.

uname will show you the version from the running kernel, not the
one from the mounted partition, although in this case, they should
be the same.

> Checked lilo, failsafe was set to "failsafe acpi=off" Back into the
> BIOS and shut off everything I could think
> of that wasn't absolutely needed:

In /etc/udev/rules.d, udev will have stored information for some of
the devices that were there during the first failed boot.

For example, 61-block_config.rules will contain info about the cd,
61-net_config.rules will have info about ethernet devices, etc.

Try deleting the lines from each file that has been updated since
the initial install.

Regards, Dave Hodgins