Web Cam Sites and Linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Web Cam Sites and Linux - Mandriva ; I finally got a webcam that is recognized under Mandriva 2008.0, a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. luvcview prings up a window where I can see myself. But sites like www.stickcam.com and www.justin.tv don't appear to work so well with my ...

  1. Web Cam Sites and Linux

    I finally got a webcam that is recognized under Mandriva 2008.0, a
    Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. luvcview prings up a window where I can see
    myself. But sites like www.stickcam.com and www.justin.tv don't appear
    to work so well with my camera.

    On justin.tv the player loads, although I have to use the good and not
    best broadcasts. It loads the flashplayer applet and says that it is
    broadcasting, but I get nothing but beffering video.

    Anyone have any luck using these sites without having to resort to
    windows?

  2. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:42:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > Anyone have any luck using these sites without having to resort to
    > windows?

    See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html first.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:05:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:42:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any luck using these sites without having to resort to
    >> windows?

    > See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html first.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Well the link returns the following

    Requires RSWF 0.9.3 and newer

  4. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:19:47 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:05:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html first.

    > Well the link returns the following
    > Requires RSWF 0.9.3 and newer

    What version of flash are you using?
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ shows
    "Version 9,0,115,0 Installed Successfully" for my system.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:50:45 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:19:47 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:05:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html
    >>> first.

    >> Well the link returns the following
    >> Requires RSWF 0.9.3 and newer

    > What version of flash are you using?
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ shows "Version 9,0,115,0
    > Installed Successfully" for my system.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    You have version 9,0,115,0 installed for me as well.

  6. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:32:35 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > You have version 9,0,115,0 installed for me as well.

    Make sure you don't have anything else running that may have the webcam
    locked.

    I normally use opera, currently 9.50 beta, build 1772. I just tried the
    above site in konqueror. No luck. It does work in firefox 2.0.0.11.

    When I reloaded the site in opera, while it was still open in firefox,
    it also failed, until I closed firefox.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:53:52 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > It does work in firefox 2.0.0.11.

    firefox 2.0.0.12 is released on mozilla.com if do not want to wait
    for mandriva package.

  8. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:57:06 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:53:52 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> It does work in firefox 2.0.0.11.

    > firefox 2.0.0.12 is released on mozilla.com if do not want to wait
    > for mandriva package.

    I prefer opera, and only use firefox when trying to figure out if a
    site problem is opera related, or site related. I'll wait for the
    mandriva package. Thanks anyway.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Feb 19, 7:51 am, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:57:06 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:
    > > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:53:52 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > >> It does work in firefox 2.0.0.11.

    > > firefox 2.0.0.12 is released on mozilla.com if do not want to wait
    > > for mandriva package.

    > I prefer opera, and only use firefox when trying to figure out if a
    > site problem is opera related, or site related. I'll wait for the
    > mandriva package. Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    Thanks I will download the latest firefox when I get home. Hopefully
    that is the solution.

  10. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 05:45:22 -0800 (PST), Evil Bastard wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 7:51 am, "David W. Hodgins"
    > wrote:

    >> > firefox 2.0.0.12 is released on mozilla.com if do not want to wait
    >> > for mandriva package.

    >> I prefer opera, and only use firefox when trying to figure out if a
    >> site problem is opera related, or site related. I'll wait for the
    >> mandriva package. Thanks anyway.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>
    >> --
    >> Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >> use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    > Thanks I will download the latest firefox when I get home. Hopefully
    > that is the solution.

    I will expect that it is not your problem. I just was posting about
    the firefox security update.

  11. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:19:47 -0600, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:05:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:42:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone have any luck using these sites without having to resort to
    >>> windows?

    >> See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html first.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > Well the link returns the following
    >
    > Requires RSWF 0.9.3 and newer

    Reading posts on this links seems to indicate that webcams do not appear
    to work with flashplayer 9 in linux.

  12. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:15:24 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:05:38 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> See if it works at http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html first.

    > Reading posts on this links seems to indicate that webcams do not appear
    > to work with flashplayer 9 in linux.

    The reason I posted the above link, is that is does work with my logitech
    quickcam messenger using the kernel module from
    dkms-qc-usb-messenger-1.7-2mdv2008.0.noarch.rpm, in both opera and firefox,
    although it doesn't work in konqueror.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:43:21 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:15:24 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    > wrote:

    >> Reading posts on this links seems to indicate that webcams do not
    >> appear to work with flashplayer 9 in linux.

    > The reason I posted the above link, is that is does work with my
    > logitech quickcam messenger using the kernel module from
    > dkms-qc-usb-messenger-1.7-2mdv2008.0.noarch.rpm, in both opera and
    > firefox, although it doesn't work in konqueror.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    OK Loaded the dkms-uc-quickcam-messenger module, and can see it load
    during boot with no messages. Still no luck with the webcam test.

  14. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:05:12 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > OK Loaded the dkms-uc-quickcam-messenger module, and can see it load
    > during boot with no messages. Still no luck with the webcam test.

    That module only works if you have a logitech quickcam messenger.
    From lsusb ...
    ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger

    My point was that flash may work with a webcam, under linux, if
    you have the correct kernel module for your webam. As my webcam
    is v4l1, not v4l2 (aka uvcvideo), I don't know if it will work
    with newer webcams. First step is to ensure you have flash working,
    and then the webcam, and then start troublshooting getting access on
    more complex websites, which may be windows oriented.

    Regards, Dave hodgins

  15. Re: Web Cam Sites and Linux

    On Feb 20, 7:53 am, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:05:12 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >
    > > OK Loaded the dkms-uc-quickcam-messenger module, and can see it load
    > > during boot with no messages. Still no luck with the webcam test.

    > That module only works if you have a logitech quickcam messenger.
    > From lsusb ...
    > ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger
    >
    > My point was that flash may work with a webcam, under linux, if
    > you have the correct kernel module for your webam. As my webcam
    > is v4l1, not v4l2 (aka uvcvideo), I don't know if it will work
    > with newer webcams. First step is to ensure you have flash working,
    > and then the webcam, and then start troublshooting getting access on
    > more complex websites, which may be windows oriented.
    >
    > Regards, Dave hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    I am using a webcam that is uvcvideo, Logitech Quick Cam Pro 9000. I
    can use luvcview which does work with my cam. Flash is working with
    my installation, and from what I have read on the adobe forums, v4l2
    is not working with latest linux player.

+ Reply to Thread