2008.1 iptables segfault - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008.1 iptables segfault - Mandriva ; In the output to the terminal during booting, I get a line that says iptables [5770]: segfault at 20 rip 2b4d540ebaf7 rsp 7fff573347a0 error 6 Any estimates on the seriousness of this? My machine is behind a router firewall, so ...

  1. 2008.1 iptables segfault

    In the output to the terminal during booting, I get a line that says

    iptables [5770]: segfault at 20 rip 2b4d540ebaf7 rsp 7fff573347a0 error 6

    Any estimates on the seriousness of this? My machine is behind a
    router firewall, so security is probably not critical (though I
    do prefer belt AND suspenders to belt alone...).

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; UNIX merely expects users to be computer-
    friendly!

  2. Re: 2008.1 iptables segfault

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:07:23 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > In the output to the terminal during booting, I get a line that says
    >
    > iptables [5770]: segfault at 20 rip 2b4d540ebaf7 rsp 7fff573347a0 error 6
    >

    > Any estimates on the seriousness of this?

    Swap out mother board. :-D
    Saw your AMD690GM-M2 motherboard reply.

    Just booted 32 bit 2008.1 updated 190+ packages, noticed new iptables
    not to mention new kernel.
    Rebooted, No crash,

    booted 64 bit 2008.1, updated 388 packages, new iptables and kernel.
    Rebooted, No crash.

    Either a dual core bug or hardware problem. Your call.
    When was the last time you blew the dust from the heat sinks on mother
    board and power supply?

  3. Re: 2008.1 iptables segfault

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:18:27 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:07:23 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> In the output to the terminal during booting, I get a line that says
    >>
    >> iptables [5770]: segfault at 20 rip 2b4d540ebaf7 rsp 7fff573347a0 error
    >> 6
    >>

    >> Any estimates on the seriousness of this?

    > Swap out mother board. :-D
    > Saw your AMD690GM-M2 motherboard reply.

    When everything has been done except swap the core hardware, maybe....
    The wandering IRQ problem could be a result of dynamic IRQ (16 to 11)
    I thought about adding a comment that my free advice may be worth
    what you pay for it (or less), but I doubted the caution was needed.

    > Just booted 32 bit 2008.1 updated 190+ packages, noticed new iptables
    > not to mention new kernel.
    > Rebooted, No crash,
    >
    > booted 64 bit 2008.1, updated 388 packages, new iptables and kernel.
    > Rebooted, No crash.
    >
    > Either a dual core bug or hardware problem. Your call. When was the last
    > time you blew the dust from the heat sinks on mother board and power
    > supply?

    Actually, I blew out the dust a few weeks ago, when trying to discover
    the reason for a hard drive making unseemly noises. Opened the cover
    on left side, dealt with the dust (minor), closed the cover, had the same
    noise, laid down tools on right side intending to open that up when next
    I returned to the machine, and the tools are still lying there. No unseemly
    noise. I'm afraid to move the tools, for fear the absence of that threat
    will encourage the hard drive to misbehave again.

    And yes, updating has been hot and heavy for both 2008.0 and 2008.1.
    The last batch for 2008.0 was close to 50 packages, and that on top
    of bunches yesterday. MCC brought down 100 for 2008.1.

    The batch now awaiting download/install by MCC totals 32 more, for
    2008.1. Several deal with multimedia stuff that may affect Amarok.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it
    merely expects users to be computer-friendly!

  4. Re: 2008.1 iptables segfault

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:02:23 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > The batch now awaiting download/install by MCC totals 32 more, for
    > 2008.1. Several deal with multimedia stuff that may affect Amarok.

    Ok, I notice when playing youtube videos I hear the fan kick in.
    That and flight gear cause enough work for the fan to kick in on my
    single core system.

+ Reply to Thread