I have screwed up my DNS service - Mandriva

This is a discussion on I have screwed up my DNS service - Mandriva ; This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'. Although my broadband ADSL Modem/Router (WAG54GS) is working properly, I can neither send or receive emails nor access web-sites. Recently responsibility for DHCP was transferred from the WAG54GS to our file server. This ...

  1. I have screwed up my DNS service

    This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'.

    Although my broadband ADSL Modem/Router (WAG54GS) is working properly, I can
    neither send or receive emails nor access web-sites.

    Recently responsibility for DHCP was transferred from the WAG54GS to our
    file server. This enabled members of the LAN to access the file server if
    and when the WAG54GS was disabled for one reason or another.

    I can ping linksys.com by using its domain octets but not by name. Same with
    the BBC. From this I conclude that DNS is messed up. I know what it does
    but haven't a clue as to how it does it.

    During a call to my broadband and IP supplier's technical support, I was
    told that their DNS servers has been changed and gave me the new numbers,
    yet the Linksys returns different numbers in its 'Status' window?

    Despite being given the new/correct DNS server addresses I do not know where
    they need to be plugged in nor whether there are any additional programs
    that need to be installed and executed in order to handle DNS on my
    machine.

    I would appreciate (further) help.

  2. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'.
    >
    > Although my broadband ADSL Modem/Router (WAG54GS) is working properly, I can
    > neither send or receive emails nor access web-sites.
    >
    > Recently responsibility for DHCP was transferred from the WAG54GS to our
    > file server. This enabled members of the LAN to access the file server if
    > and when the WAG54GS was disabled for one reason or another.
    >
    > I can ping linksys.com by using its domain octets but not by name. Same with
    > the BBC. From this I conclude that DNS is messed up. I know what it does
    > but haven't a clue as to how it does it.
    >
    > During a call to my broadband and IP supplier's technical support, I was
    > told that their DNS servers has been changed and gave me the new numbers,
    > yet the Linksys returns different numbers in its 'Status' window?
    >
    > Despite being given the new/correct DNS server addresses I do not know where
    > they need to be plugged in nor whether there are any additional programs
    > that need to be installed and executed in order to handle DNS on my
    > machine.

    It would help to know if the connection from your router to your
    ISP is DHCP or PPoE. If that connection is DHCP, the router should
    hold current DNS server addresses and the ones given you are in
    addition. If it is PPoE or something else that uses static DNS
    addresses, then your router probably holds the old numbers and should
    be updated by logging in as admin and making the changes. You could
    try entering the router numbers for your DNS server and see if they
    work, as "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

    Next, you must have a DNS server running on your file server, tinyDNS
    or some such. You should be able to launch mcc, go to System, and
    then to Services and find it in the list. Make sure it is running.

    The DNS server software has to know where to get its DNS information.
    It may be getting it from your router, or direct from a DNS machine
    on the Web, or some combination (first router, then internet..).
    You will have to read documentation on the DNS server to find where
    that information goes. It likely should show up in /etc/resolv.conf,
    but I depend on my router for local as well as internet so I don't
    use such.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:15:28 -0500, Alan Secker wrote:

    > During a call to my broadband and IP supplier's technical support, I was
    > told that their DNS servers has been changed and gave me the new numbers,
    > yet the Linksys returns different numbers in its 'Status' window?

    What addresses are showing up in the status window?

    > Despite being given the new/correct DNS server addresses I do not know where
    > they need to be plugged in nor whether there are any additional programs

    In /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head add lines like
    nameserver 1.2.3.4
    with the ip addresses given to you. Make sure the last line ends
    with a linefeed. Ignore the warning about not editing the file, as
    that is about editing /etc/resolv.conf, which will be generated using
    the contents of the head file, along with the base and tail files,
    from the same directory, plus, if specified, the dns servers returned
    from the dhcp client.

    I haven't setup a dhcp server, so I don't know for sure, where you specify
    the dns servers, for the other clients on your network, but it looks like
    you would plugin the dns server ip addresses in the /etc/dhcpd.conf like
    option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.4;

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:15:28 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    > This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'.
    >
    > I can ping linksys.com by using its domain octets but not by name. Same with
    > the BBC. From this I conclude that DNS is messed up. I know what it does
    > but haven't a clue as to how it does it.

    /etc/host.conf suggest order as does
    $ grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files dns <--- look in /etc/hosts then use dns

    Then resolver ip address comes from
    nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf

    and for LAN node lookup, which domain to search when resolving alias names
    search=(LAN domain here)

    Example:
    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 192.168.1.130
    search home.test

    The above says to use my named server and search home.test for LAN names.

    named will use the forwarders ip contents in /var/lib/named/etc/named.conf
    to resolve names outside of the LAN.

    Example forwarders:
    forwarders { 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220; };

    Those nameservers belong to opendns.com
    That way I do not have to worry if my high speed router gets cracked
    and ISP nameservers get replaced with black hat servers.

  5. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:15:28 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'.
    >
    > Although my broadband ADSL Modem/Router (WAG54GS) is working properly, I
    > can neither send or receive emails nor access web-sites.
    >
    > Recently responsibility for DHCP was transferred from the WAG54GS to our
    > file server. This enabled members of the LAN to access the file server
    > if and when the WAG54GS was disabled for one reason or another.

    Get rid of dhcp and use static addresses.

    > I can ping linksys.com by using its domain octets but not by name. Same
    > with the BBC. From this I conclude that DNS is messed up. I know what it
    > does but haven't a clue as to how it does it.

    Mine was screwed up this morning too. I browsed into the router and
    disconnected and reconnected and that fixed that. Your router should
    automatically get the DNS addresses. The only DNS you need in linux is the
    router base address. With static addresses all internal machines wouldn't
    care about the status of router except for Internet access.

    > During a call to my broadband and IP supplier's technical support, I was
    > told that their DNS servers has been changed and gave me the new
    > numbers, yet the Linksys returns different numbers in its 'Status'
    > window?

    Then one of them is wrong. More than likely, the tech support person.

    > Despite being given the new/correct DNS server addresses I do not know
    > where they need to be plugged in nor whether there are any additional
    > programs that need to be installed and executed in order to handle DNS
    > on my machine.
    >
    > I would appreciate (further) help.

    The router handles dns passthrough (even with pppoe). Use only the router
    base address for dns lookup and if the servers change, resetting the
    router connection should get the new server addresses.

    And I still haven't figured out why you are having trouble with DHCP from
    the router. If you're having power outages taking the router down, get a
    cheap UPS for it. If it locking up, replace it. Can't fix it? All the more
    reason for static addresses.

  6. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:33:16 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:

    > If you're having power outages taking the router down, get a
    > cheap UPS for it. If it locking up, replace it. Can't fix it? All the more
    > reason for static addresses.

    Since criminals have started hacking into routers I would suggest
    /etc/resolv.conf to contain opendns resolvers. http://opendns.com/

    You get the added benefit of opendns masking off known phishing sites.
    and do not have to worry about name servers in a
    cracked router.

    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

  7. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> This is a follow-up to 'DHCP Problem'.
    >>
    >> Although my broadband ADSL Modem/Router (WAG54GS) is working properly, I
    >> can neither send or receive emails nor access web-sites.
    >>
    >> Recently responsibility for DHCP was transferred from the WAG54GS to our
    >> file server. This enabled members of the LAN to access the file server if
    >> and when the WAG54GS was disabled for one reason or another.
    >>
    >> I can ping linksys.com by using its domain octets but not by name. Same
    >> with the BBC. From this I conclude that DNS is messed up. I know what it
    >> does but haven't a clue as to how it does it.
    >>
    >> During a call to my broadband and IP supplier's technical support, I was
    >> told that their DNS servers has been changed and gave me the new numbers,
    >> yet the Linksys returns different numbers in its 'Status' window?
    >>
    >> Despite being given the new/correct DNS server addresses I do not know
    >> where they need to be plugged in nor whether there are any additional
    >> programs that need to be installed and executed in order to handle DNS on
    >> my machine.

    > It would help to know if the connection from your router to your
    > ISP is DHCP or PPoE. If that connection is DHCP, the router should
    > hold current DNS server addresses and the ones given you are in
    > addition. If it is PPoE or something else that uses static DNS
    > addresses, then your router probably holds the old numbers and should
    > be updated by logging in as admin and making the changes. You could
    > try entering the router numbers for your DNS server and see if they
    > work, as "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

    This morning I had no response from the Internet at all. This evening I
    could get email and read this newsgroup but still no WWW. The only change
    this morning was to upgrade the WAG54GS's firmware.

    The connection is PPPoA.

    The WAG54GS setup does have boxes for the insertion of DNS octets but I have
    never had to use them before. I will however plug in the new ones and see
    what they bring. Unfortunately I am working away for two days and will not
    be able to move on until Thursday.

    > Next, you must have a DNS server running on your file server, tinyDNS
    > or some such. You should be able to launch mcc, go to System, and
    > then to Services and find it in the list. Make sure it is running.

    That bit puzzles me. Surely I am trying to address my IP's DNS servers to
    convert names to numbers? Why would I want my own DNS server? I would have
    expected a small program that takes the requested name and sends it to the
    server address held in resolv.conf, dhcpd.conf and/or as Dave
    suggests /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head or one of them!

    > The DNS server software has to know where to get its DNS information.
    > It may be getting it from your router, or direct from a DNS machine
    > on the Web, or some combination (first router, then internet..).
    > You will have to read documentation on the DNS server to find where
    > that information goes. It likely should show up in /etc/resolv.conf,
    > but I depend on my router for local as well as internet so I don't
    > use such.

    I noticed that my domestic machine, not on a LAN has under
    mcc->system->services a running routine called resolvconf. I would guess
    that does something(?)

    Thanks everyone I'll check back on Thursday. Alan

    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

  8. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:55:54 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Despite all the advice (some conflicting) that I have received, I stall
    > cannot resolve web-site names.
    >
    > This is the current position. I can access email and newsgroups but only if
    > the line in both dhcp.conf and dhcpd.conf reads:
    >
    > option domain-name-servers 192.168.x.1 (which points to my router).
    >
    > Replacing this with the DNS1 and 2 addresses provided by my ip supplier
    > results in no emails nor ng as well as no WWW.

    I can agree with that. Your "option domain-name-servers" is for dhcp
    and guess you modified that in the *lease file.
    The DNS* line is found in an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* file.

    Since I do not have a wireless setup or run a dhcp server I can not
    help with those config files.

    > No matter what I change, the WAG54GS status report always shows the original
    > DNS numbers it returned. My earlier belief that DNS numbers could be
    > manually inserted was based on seeing boxes provided for the insertion of
    > the octets.

    I would agree since I have done it for a static/manual connection.
    I do not have a wireless setup so I can not help with the wireless files.
    If you get the right /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ config file
    I would assume you set/add the DNSx=xx.x.x.x and PEERDNS=no

    Then again, you need to look in sysconfig.txt to check what variable
    names/values do what for release 2006. Do a
    locate /sysconfig.txt
    to find it on your 2006 system.

    > Elsewhere I read that having changed the text files, /sbin/resolvconf should
    > be run after stopping the network. This didn't exist on MDV 2006 on the
    > file server and urpmi couldn't find it. I copied the version on MDV 2008 as
    > it hadn't changed since 2005 but that would not run

    Well, most of the talking about variables and commands for 2008 will
    not work on 2006. So on the 2006 system;

    locate /sysconfig.txt

    Should get you the file name telling you what key words do what in a
    given config file 2006 .

    If you cannot get the network device config file to set nameserver like
    you want, you can play with settings with some custom script you create.

    If you are using dhclient as your dhcp client, then you can create
    /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks and do whatever you like when a device comes
    on line.

    That would run after dhcp client runs. Here is a simple one to see
    what variables are set.

    #************************************************* ******************
    #*
    #* dhclient-exit-hooks - Post processing dhcp client processor
    #*
    #* Install:
    #* chmod +x dhclient-exit-hooks
    #* cp dhclient-exit-hooks /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
    #*
    #************************************************* ******************

    _fn=/tmp/dhcp.vars
    date >> $_fn
    env | sort >> $_fn
    echo "------------------------------" >> $_fn

    #***************** end dhclient-exit-hooks **************************

    Another method would be to create /sbin/ifup-local with the following:
    #************************************************* ******************
    #*
    #* ifup-local - post network processor
    #*
    #* Install:
    #* chmod +x ifup-local
    #* cp ifup-local /sbin/ifup-local
    #*
    #************************************************* ******************

    _fn=/tmp/net.vars
    date >> $_fn
    echo arg1= $1 >> $_fn
    env | sort >> $_fn
    echo "------------------------------" >> $_fn

    #***************** end ifup-local **************************

    Now, you can create both, install them, and do the following:

    service network restart
    cat /tmp/net.vars
    cat /tmp/dhpc.vars

    If weak on writing scripts there is
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    In either file, you could put something like

    _fn=/etc/resolv.conf
    echo "# created by your_script_name_here" > $_fn
    echo "nameserver=208.67.222.222" >> $_fn
    echo "nameserver=208.67.220.220" >> $_fn
    echo "search where.ever" >> $_fn

    then do a
    service network restart
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    which should have something like

    # created by your_script_name_here
    nameserver=208.67.222.222
    nameserver=208.67.220.220
    search where.ever

  9. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Despite all the advice (some conflicting) that I have received, I stall
    > cannot resolve web-site names.
    >
    > This is the current position. I can access email and newsgroups but only if
    > the line in both dhcp.conf and dhcpd.conf reads:
    >
    > option domain-name-servers 192.168.x.1 (which points to my router).
    >
    > Replacing this with the DNS1 and 2 addresses provided by my ip supplier
    > results in no emails nor ng as well as no WWW.

    Have you got a default route set up, that points to your router?
    What does the route command (with no parameters) say?

    Anahata

  10. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:55:54 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Robert Harris suggested on 15 Feb '.... set your server to be
    > 192.168.x.2. If he meant my file-server, that already has a static
    > address recognised by every work-station. If that is indeed what he
    > meant, I wouldn't want to disturb it. I cannot see why that would be
    > significant anyway. I would appreciate clarification.

    I don't know either, if your current filserver address is
    182.168.0. and you have dhcp in the router
    disabled for whatever the address is. If your servers address is not
    within this range, then that's the/a problem.

    > /etc/resolv.conf currently has three lines: search asandco.co.uk (my
    > domain address) nameserver
    > nameserver

    Mine only has one. The router gateway address, 192.168.0.1.

    > Elsewhere I read that having changed the text files, /sbin/resolvconf
    > should be run after stopping the network. This didn't exist on MDV 2006
    > on the file server and urpmi couldn't find it. I copied the version on
    > MDV 2008 as it hadn't changed since 2005 but that would not run without
    > the creation of some directories and a symlink! Eventually I was able to
    > stop the network run the script with argument -u and restart the
    > network.

    Someone decided the old simple way of having the admin control resolv.conf
    isn't good. An obvious mistake IMO. They now overwrite any changes made
    directly to /etc/resolv.conf.

  11. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Bit Twister wrote:

    Before commenting on the result of acting on your advice as far as I
    was able to, after a few tweaks, I clean booted the file server.
    Newsgroups and email still OK but nothing coming up on Firefox yet
    it reports 'done'.

    Decide to ping Google by name: $ ping google.co.uk. It responded. I
    then tried bbc.co.uk, five.com and my website. Same. I thought maybe
    they were cached. I looked around for something I could never have
    called and found www.cieonline.co.uk a trade electronic component
    magazine. I pinged it and up it came.

    Surely this means the name server is doing its stuff. So why is nothing
    being returned?

    Anyway. How I dealt wit your advice:

    > I can agree with that. Your "option domain-name-servers" is for dhcp
    > and guess you modified that in the *lease file.

    I don't know what a *lease file is.

    > The DNS* line is found in an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
    > file.

    'Er No, not in mine. However I added it to idcfg-eth0 as that seemed fromn
    its content to be the most apropriate

    > Since I do not have a wireless setup or run a dhcp server I can not
    > help with those config files.

    I have wireless disabled.

    >> No matter what I change, the WAG54GS status report always shows the
    >> original DNS numbers it returned. My earlier belief that DNS numbers
    >> could be manually inserted was based on seeing boxes provided for the
    >> insertion of the octets.

    > I would agree since I have done it for a static/manual connection.
    > I do not have a wireless setup so I can not help with the wireless files.
    > If you get the right /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ config file
    > I would assume you set/add the DNSx=xx.x.x.x and PEERDNS=no

    PEERDNS was set to yes. according to sysconfig.txt a setting of yes
    causes the script to 'drop' the DNS values into resolv.conf. Changing
    it to no presumably has the opposite effect but as they are already
    in resolv.conf, it hardly matters I guess.

    > Then again, you need to look in sysconfig.txt to check what variable
    > names/values do what for release 2006. Do a
    > locate /sysconfig.txt
    > to find it on your 2006 system.

    Because the router is still displaying the original DNS numbers it had when
    first linking up the broadband link, I suspect disbling dhcp only worked
    partially. I am tempted to reset the device to factory defaults, reboot it,
    then reset electrically, i.e press the rest button and start from scratch.

    If it still does it, then I will query Linksys tech support again.

    Thanks for your support.

    Alan

  12. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Despite all the advice (some conflicting) that I have received, I stall
    > cannot resolve web-site names.
    >
    > This is the current position. I can access email and newsgroups but only
    > if the line in both dhcp.conf and dhcpd.conf reads:
    >
    > option domain-name-servers 192.168.x.1 (which points to my router).
    >
    > Replacing this with the DNS1 and 2 addresses provided by my ip supplier
    > results in no emails nor ng as well as no WWW.
    >
    > No matter what I change, the WAG54GS status report always shows the
    > original DNS numbers it returned. My earlier belief that DNS numbers could
    > be manually inserted was based on seeing boxes provided for the insertion
    > of the octets. They they turned out only to be available if the WAG54GS
    > dhcp server was enabled. I have it disabled as I am using dhcp services
    > from my file-server.
    >
    > Robert Harris suggested on 15 Feb '.... set your server to be 192.168.x.2.
    > If he meant my file-server, that already has a static address recognised
    > by every work-station. If that is indeed what he meant, I wouldn't want to
    > disturb it. I cannot see why that would be significant anyway. I would
    > appreciate clarification.
    >
    > /etc/resolv.conf currently has three lines:
    > search asandco.co.uk (my domain address)
    > nameserver
    > nameserver
    >
    > Elsewhere I read that having changed the text files, /sbin/resolvconf
    > should be run after stopping the network. This didn't exist on MDV 2006 on
    > the file server and urpmi couldn't find it. I copied the version on MDV
    > 2008 as it hadn't changed since 2005 but that would not run without the
    > creation of some directories and a symlink! Eventually I was able to stop
    > the network run the script with argument -u and restart the network.
    >
    > Which brought me to the top line above. Clearly something crucial is
    > missing. I cannot call upon my Linux mentor and guru as he has just lost
    > his partner but he did mention that he has experienced failure in
    > electrolytics on Linksys routers. I find it hard to believe that that
    > could be an issue here though.

    On your machine the DNS should point to your router, on the router the DNS
    should point to you ISP's

    So your machine DNS = 192.168.x.x

    Router Primary DNS = z.z.z.z
    Router Secondary DNS = y.y.y.y

    this is what my set up is like and it works

    my resolv.conf is

    search home
    nameserver 192.168.1.254
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
    resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

    # ppp temp entry

    Hope this is of some help

    Martin

    --
    Linux - Free no Virus's Spyware Trojans
    Windowz - Expensive buggy virus's spyware trojans SLOW

  13. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:01:38 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Before commenting on the result of acting on your advice as far as I
    > was able to, after a few tweaks, I clean booted the file server.
    > Newsgroups and email still OK but nothing coming up on Firefox yet
    > it reports 'done'.
    >
    > Decide to ping Google by name: $ ping google.co.uk. It responded. I
    > then tried bbc.co.uk, five.com and my website. Same. I thought maybe
    > they were cached. I looked around for something I could never have
    > called and found www.cieonline.co.uk a trade electronic component
    > magazine. I pinged it and up it came.

    OK, I agree, using ping proves DNS resolution and connectivity to target.

    > Surely this means the name server is doing its stuff. So why is nothing
    > being returned?

    I would get into router and verify, name servers are valid.

    >> The DNS* line is found in an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
    >> file.

    > 'Er No, not in mine. However I added it to idcfg-eth0 as that seemed fromn
    > its content to be the most apropriate

    It would depend if you had set dns values when configuring eht0

    >> Since I do not have a wireless setup or run a dhcp server I can not
    >> help with those config files.

    > I have wireless disabled.

    Ok, then setup for nic would be either auto or manual/static.

    >>> No matter what I change, the WAG54GS status report always shows the
    >>> original DNS numbers it returned. My earlier belief that DNS numbers
    >>> could be manually inserted was based on seeing boxes provided for the
    >>> insertion of the octets.

    >> I would agree since I have done it for a static/manual connection.
    >> I do not have a wireless setup so I can not help with the wireless files.
    >> If you get the right /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ config file
    >> I would assume you set/add the DNSx=xx.x.x.x and PEERDNS=no

    > PEERDNS was set to yes. according to sysconfig.txt a setting of yes
    > causes the script to 'drop' the DNS values into resolv.conf. Changing
    > it to no presumably has the opposite effect but as they are already
    > in resolv.conf, it hardly matters I guess.

    They would get there if you set eth0 as Automatic.

    > Because the router is still displaying the original DNS numbers it had when
    > first linking up the broadband link, I suspect disbling dhcp only worked
    > partially. I am tempted to reset the device to factory defaults, reboot it,
    > then reset electrically, i.e press the rest button and start from scratch.

    That would get you a starting point if nothing else. If me, I would
    delete eth0, and reconfigure it again as static/manual, give it your
    router's gateway, open dns servers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
    or use your ISP's name servers.

    Next verify ping google.com works, then try the browser with google.com

    If you want use the supplied script and provide the results and let me
    look at all your config files.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 4.4

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, Internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (Ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .

    We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    Something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a URL so we can try it.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidextrous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/

    If you do not want some malware writing to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access to linux.

    The above assumes you have not created a FAT partition to exchange
    files between OSs. If you did, copy dosa.txt to it from linux and read
    it from windows.

    I do recommend remove/installing the windows/linux file system
    driver after you get the linux network up.

    Makes your Windows Anti Virus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you reply with linux settings.

    If using linux for Usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users,
    sudo -i
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    exit will exit the sudo -i command.

    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example:
    sudo -i
    chmod +x /some/where/xx
    /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line ---------
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ************
    #*
    #* xx - Dump network config files and network hardware status
    #*
    #* Output: a.txt linux file
    #* dosa.txt Windows file
    #*
    #************************************************* ************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "=== cat $_fn ====" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    _count=$(grep -v '^#' $_fn | wc -l)
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    if [ "$_fn" != "shorewall.conf" ] ; then
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    else
    awk 'empty{if (!/^#/) print; empty=0} /^$/{empty=1}' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them to PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "Click up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo "======== echo $PATH ==========" >> $_out_fn
    echo "$PATH" >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    for _d in /etc/*release ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    echo "======== uname -rvi =============" >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    for _d in /etc/*version ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    cat_fn /proc/*version

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== lsb_release -a ==========" >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    if [ -n "$SECURE_LEVEL" ] ; then
    echo "msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    echo "
    $(grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo)
    $(grep 'cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo)

    " >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

    echo "======== free ==========" >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    echo " " >> $_out_fn

    if [ -e /etc/inittab ] ; then
    _line=$(grep :initdefault /etc/inittab)
    set -- $(IFS=':'; echo $_line)
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo "Default run level is $2" >> $_out_fn
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    fi

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== chkconfig --list ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo "======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== grep hosts: $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    grep_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    grep_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    echo "======== hostname --fqdn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    hostname --fqdn >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts
    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo "================ ifconfig -a ==============" >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo "============== route -n =================" >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo "========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========" >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient.conf

    ethtool_flg=0
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    ethtool_flg=1
    fi

    mii-tool_flg=0
    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    mii-tool_flg=1
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ $mii-tool_flg -eq 1 ] ; then
    mii-tool -v eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== mii-tool -v eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    mii-tool -v eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    if [ $ethtool_flg -eq 1 ] ; then
    ethtool eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== ethtool eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    ethtool eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    echo "=== dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= ===" >> $_out_fn
    dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= >> $_out_fn

    echo "=== grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/network/${_d} ] ; then
    echo "==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al ===" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ] ; then
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep_fn $_f
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "==== end of config/network data dump =======" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********

    ----------- script ends above this line ------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone else's.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    before you add in the results/output of the script.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive
    If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    Do keep quotes used in the following:
    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/wherever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux file system driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows Anti Virus
    scanner to run faster.

  14. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Things have gone from bad to worse. I reset the WAG54GS to
    factory defaults and then made a manual reset. After that I
    couldn't get to the router at all.

    Linksys made me do it again but holding the reset button in
    for 60 seconds. This time it did come back but once I
    re-entered my settings it became inaccessible again!

    This time nothing would get it back. Linksys only support
    via Windows XP onwards. They say they will replace a faulty
    device but only if proven to be faulty driven by a Windows
    machine. Tomorrow I'm going to set one up but I have a
    feeling that whatever happens, without buying a spare I
    would be without a router for another week or two.

    This brings me back to the network settings. I originally
    thought that if I could move DHCP from the WAG54GS to my
    file server, should the WAG have to be disconnected,
    the LAN would still stay up. It doesn't. It is looking for
    the Gateway value of 168.192.x.1 specified in the DHCP
    set up. Can I get round this still using DHCP?

  15. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    I have managed to get my WAG54GS working again and the whole system back to
    where it was before it started playing up. It is now clear that there were
    two problems, the one in the WAG54GS was hiding the other - my settings.

    I had to dust off an old Windows 98 machine and run it as a stand-alone
    system in order to reset the WAG54GS. The support staff at Linksys are
    excellent. They have to have the patience of saints to deal with this
    stuff.

    I think it could have been solved with a Linux standalone box but that meant
    crawling around under desks to connect one and even then Linksys might use
    that as an excuse again to refuse to exchange a device if it wasn't proven
    to be faulty in an XP environment!

    My local IP setting in the WAG54GS is 192.168.x.1 whereas when reset to
    factory defaults, the WAG54GS makes it 192.168.1.1

    While connected to the LAN it was conflicting with the gateway references
    of 192.168.x.1 in the dhcp files I had configured on my file-server. This
    had the effect of preventing me from getting into the WAG54GS.

    So back to the beginning. The reason I wanted to shift dhcp to the
    file-server in the first place was to enable the rest of the LAN to
    continue to function even if the WAG54GS did go down but since it is
    addressed by the settings in the dhcp etc parameter files on the
    file-server, it now looks as though I can't. Does this mean I have go back
    to static addresses? If I do, how much of a vulnerability would this
    actually be?

  16. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:09:30 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Does this mean I have go back to static addresses? If I do, how
    > much of a vulnerability would this actually be?

    What vulnerability are you worried about?

  17. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:09:30 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Does this mean I have go back to static addresses? If I do, how
    >> much of a vulnerability would this actually be?

    > What vulnerability are you worried about?

    It has been put to me that a static address is an easier target
    for a cracker to reach than a dynamically allocated one. Not being
    a specialist, I have to accept what the trained and experienced
    tell me. But as I have a firewall in place it occurred to me
    that perhaps the likelihood of penetration was so low that static
    addresses might be a better way to go, hence the question.

  18. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:03:41 -0500, Alan Secker wrote:

    > It has been put to me that a static address is an easier target
    > for a cracker to reach than a dynamically allocated one. Not being

    If a cracker is specifically targetting you, then a static public ip
    address makes it easier for them to find you, but doesn't make it any
    easier for them to exploit your system.

    Behind the router, it makes no difference, except that you can't forward
    specific ports to specific systems, without upnp.

    With upnp disabled on the router, you have to use static ip addresses on
    the lan, if you want to forward some ports, for use by p2p, voip, or
    servers, running on the lan.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  19. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:03:41 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    Thanks fo all that.I've save it to print and digest slowly.

    Regards

    Alan

  20. Re: I have screwed up my DNS service

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:27:10 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Things have gone from bad to worse. I reset the WAG54GS to
    > factory defaults and then made a manual reset. After that I
    > couldn't get to the router at all.

    Going to need more facts.

    > Linksys made me do it again but holding the reset button in
    > for 60 seconds.

    Yep, manual indicates I have to hold my actiontec router for 15 seconds.
    Help desk had me hold it for 30 then 60 seconds when it lost it's mind
    on a Friday night. Verizon hot footed a tech with router out Saturday.

    > This time it did come back but once I
    > re-entered my settings it became inaccessible again!
    > This time nothing would get it back. Linksys only support
    > via Windows XP onwards.

    Kinda sounds like a help desk tech knows s/he is going to lose points
    for working a problem too long.

    Now, let's say 168.192.1.1 is router's gateway after factory defaults
    and you make no typing mistakes and take no shortcuts in my
    instructions.

    You set your nic eth0 connected to router up as static with with
    168.192.1.10 and 168.192.1.1 gateway and your isp dns servers with no other
    equipment connected to router using Mandriva Control Center.
    I think you have to delete the connection then create it.
    If not, I recommend you delete the connection then create it.

    If you do a service network restart and can ping -c1 yahoo.com, you
    know you have connectivity to the Internet and know static setup works
    with router.

    From now on, you do not use the Control Center, click up a terminal
    su - root
    and you can use a gui editor like kwrite or gedit or whatever editor
    you like.

    In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    Change
    BOOTPROTO=static
    to BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    and under BOOTPROTO, add
    PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes
    DHCPRELEASE=yes
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient

    reset router, and after it boots,
    service network restart
    service shorewall restart
    ping -c1 yahoo.com

    Proves everything and router is working with linux dhcp.

    Next,
    service network stop
    and change ip range from .1. to say .20. in your router
    You change all .1. to .20. in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    change BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    to BOOTPROTO=static

    reset router, after it boots,
    service network restart
    service shorewall restart
    ping -c1 yahoo.com should still work.
    If not, re-boot your pc just make sure router is not at fault for not
    working when modify router settings.

    Still broke, router is flaky.

    If works. that would prove router holds your settings, and you know it
    works with your settings and static linux.
    Now edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

    change BOOTPROTO=static
    to BOOTPROTO=dhcp

    reset router, after it boots,
    service network restart
    service shorewall restart
    ping -c1 yahoo.com should still work.

    If no, re-boot pc just make sure linux is not at fault.

    If it works, then it may be one of the values in ifcfg-eth0

    Save a copy with
    cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /root/eth0

    Get into the Control Center and delete eht0 and recreate it as
    dhcp.

    That should do the service network restart for you so just do the ping.
    If ping fails,
    service network restart
    service shorewall restart
    ping -c1 yahoo.com
    Still fails,

    In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    under BOOTPROTO, add
    PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes
    DHCPRELEASE=yes
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    service network restart
    service shorewall restart
    ping -c1 yahoo.com
    Should work, If not, start adding lines from /root/eth0
    until network/shorewall/ping works.

    > This brings me back to the network settings. I originally
    > thought that if I could move DHCP from the WAG54GS to my
    > file server, should the WAG have to be disconnected,

    Sorry I can not help there.
    I have a 4 port LinkSys switch between my router and the LAN systems.
    All set to static.

+ Reply to Thread