mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? - Mandriva ; I have just installed Mandriva 2008 onto a computer that used to run 2007. One of the important programs is Maple 9.5. Unfortunately after installing 2008, xmaple does not work. Instead I immediately get the error X Error of failed ...

  1. mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems?

    I have just installed Mandriva 2008 onto a computer that used to run 2007.
    One of the important programs is Maple 9.5. Unfortunately after installing
    2008, xmaple does not work. Instead I immediately get the error

    X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
    Major opcode of failed request: 45 (X_OpenFont)
    Serial number of failed request: 68

    And it exists. No idea what is going on here. Any clues appreciated.

  2. Re: mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems?

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:04:54 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    > I have just installed Mandriva 2008 onto a computer that used to run 2007.
    > One of the important programs is Maple 9.5. Unfortunately after installing
    > 2008, xmaple does not work. Instead I immediately get the error
    > X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)

    2008 no longer installs xfs, by default. Perhaps this package needs it.
    Try "urpmi xfs", and then restart x.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? Solution

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:04:54 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    >> I have just installed Mandriva 2008 onto a computer that used to run 2007.
    >> One of the important programs is Maple 9.5. Unfortunately after installing
    >> 2008, xmaple does not work. Instead I immediately get the error
    >> X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)

    >2008 no longer installs xfs, by default. Perhaps this package needs it.
    >Try "urpmi xfs", and then restart x.

    No the problem was that mandriva does not install almost any fonts by default.
    In this case they never bothered to install the x11-font-adobe-75dpi fonts.
    Others have had trouble with it not installing the x11-font-adobe-100dpi fonts.

    Almost no fonts are listed in rpmsrate, even fonts which are on the dvd.
    They have no listing at all which means the user could not even install
    them if they wanted to except by doing so with urpmi after installation.

    So, the solution is to make sure that both the x11-font-adobe-75dpi and
    the x11-font-adobe-100dpi fonts are installed.

    Maple does not need xfs.

  4. Re: mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? Solution

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:55:46 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > No the problem was that mandriva does not install almost any fonts by default.
    > In this case they never bothered to install the x11-font-adobe-75dpi fonts.
    > Others have had trouble with it not installing the x11-font-adobe-100dpi fonts.

    Hmmm, guess I never saw the problem because I always install the
    X11R6-contrib package.
    $ xlsfonts | wc -l
    5529

    $ xlsfonts | grep adobe | grep times | wc -l
    484

  5. Re: mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? Solution

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:55:46 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >> No the problem was that mandriva does not install almost any fonts by default.
    >> In this case they never bothered to install the x11-font-adobe-75dpi fonts.
    >> Others have had trouble with it not installing the x11-font-adobe-100dpi fonts.
    >>

    >Hmmm, guess I never saw the problem because I always install the
    >X11R6-contrib package.
    >$ xlsfonts | wc -l
    >5529

    >$ xlsfonts | grep adobe | grep times | wc -l
    >484

    Unfortunately xlsfonts is not on the 2008 DVD at all.

    Anyway, those fonts are NOT a contrib. The x11-fonts-adobe-*dpi are on the release
    DVD and under main/release on the full 2008 depository.
    They are just not listed at all in rpmsrate ( so you cannot even
    choose them during installation) but must install them later. That is
    silly.

  6. Re: mandrive 2008 and xmaple-- font problems? Solution

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:44:12 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > Unfortunately xlsfonts is not on the 2008 DVD at all.

    Yes, more and more gui and whatnot have pushed lots of stuff off the cd/dvd

    > Anyway, those fonts are NOT a contrib. The x11-fonts-adobe-*dpi are
    > on the release DVD and under main/release on the full 2008
    > depository. They are just not listed at all in rpmsrate ( so you
    > cannot even choose them during installation) but must install them
    > later. That is silly.

    Have you checked marked Individual Package Selection bottom this screen
    http://images.howtoforge.com/images/...8.0/big/14.png
    At the bottom of the next screen there is two arrows in a circle.
    Clicking that icon toggles package selections into flat file format.
    There is where I think you can pick the font package.

+ Reply to Thread