Discarding old kernels - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Discarding old kernels - Mandriva ; Just updated kernel to 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv. To remove earlier versions, is it simply a question of deleting the appropriate folder in /lib/modules/ (and adjusting menu.lst)? (Thinking of deleting 2.6.22.9 but hanging on to 2.6.22.12 in case need to backtrack from 2.6.22.18.) ...

  1. Discarding old kernels

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Discarding old kernels

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:06:48 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Just updated kernel to 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv.
    >
    > To remove earlier versions, is it simply a question of deleting
    > the appropriate folder in /lib/modules/ (and adjusting menu.lst)?

    I use the Mandriva Control Center Software Management add/remove software.

    > (Thinking of deleting 2.6.22.9 but hanging on to 2.6.22.12 in
    > case need to backtrack from 2.6.22.18.)

    I had to delete my x.x.x.12 kernel source. Seems dkms was not compiling on boot
    because of some conflicting value. I removed all but x.x.x.18 and dkms
    compiled on next boot.

  3. Re: Discarding old kernels

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:06:48 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    >> Just updated kernel to 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv.
    >>
    >> To remove earlier versions, is it simply a question of deleting
    >> the appropriate folder in /lib/modules/ (and adjusting menu.lst)?

    > I use the Mandriva Control Center Software Management add/remove software.
    >
    >> (Thinking of deleting 2.6.22.9 but hanging on to 2.6.22.12 in
    >> case need to backtrack from 2.6.22.18.)

    > I had to delete my x.x.x.12 kernel source. Seems dkms was not compiling on boot
    > because of some conflicting value. I removed all but x.x.x.18 and dkms
    > compiled on next boot.

    Using mcc or urpme to remove packages is the best way to go, but I
    have had even that leave things lying around that could cause
    problems and at at miminum take up disk space.

    Look under /lib/modules to see if you have anything left over
    from an earlier but no longer existing kernel. Check /usr/src
    for same. Then look in /boot to see if anything there is no
    longer needed. Then, if you use grub, into /boot/grub and look
    at the contents of menu.lst. If there are extra stanzas for old
    kernels, make a backup copy and then edit and clean up menu.lst.

    Then, for a final check (plus some false hits) first updatedb to
    get locate up to current status, and then locate 2.6.22.18 or
    whatever your numbers are for a kernel that should be gone.
    Be careful about deleting. Not only can you get false hits on
    non-kernel packages if the numbers are right, you may have had
    more than one kernel for that set of numbers and still have
    one or more of them on the system.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Discarding old kernels

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:06:48 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > To remove earlier versions, is it simply a question of deleting
    > the appropriate folder in /lib/modules/ (and adjusting menu.lst)?

    Use rpm -e, or urpme to remove the old kernel, kernel-devel, kernel-source,
    packages. If you have /etc/cron.daily/rpm running, then you can just use
    grep kernel /var/log/rpmpkgs, to see which packages you have installed. Then
    delete the appropriate sub-directories and remaining contents from /usr/src,
    /lib/modules, and /var/lib/dkms.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Discarding old kernels

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:47:47 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I use the Mandriva Control Center Software Management add/remove software.

    Thanks, BT - I decided to go that way, too...

    (Removed 22.9; its top folder is still in /lib/modules, but
    all its subdirectories have gone.)

    --
    /\/\aurice