Password problem - possible bug - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Password problem - possible bug - Mandriva ; I installed MD 2008 on a new machine. I choose a root password containing some none letter/number characters. In the configuration part of the install I chose my keyboard layout which is not the default(?) US one. All went well ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Password problem - possible bug

  1. Password problem - possible bug

    I installed MD 2008 on a new machine.
    I choose a root password containing some none letter/number characters.
    In the configuration part of the install I chose my keyboard layout which is
    not the default(?) US one.

    All went well until I rebooted and tried to do an update.
    Now my new root password did not work! And to be honest, I don't even know
    how to change it...

    Googled for the layout of the US keyboard and when I used the corresponding
    characters the password worked as it should

    To make it a bit clearer... an underscore on my keyboard is a question mark
    on the US one. So, if I used an underscore it was 'registered' as a
    question mark in my password during the install process. (So for my
    password to work I had to change what I had entered as an underscore to a
    question mark.) Hope this makes sense...

    I have not seen this mentioned before but have read about people having
    problems with their passwords. Maybe this can be the reason for it?




  2. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:12:45 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    >
    > All went well until I rebooted and tried to do an update.
    > Now my new root password did not work! And to be honest, I don't even know
    > how to change it...


    Once you get to a run level 1 command line prompt you issue something like
    passwd root
    flowerpot
    flowerpot

    Now root's password is flowerpot. Works for other users too.

    So, you might pick failsafe from your boot menu if you have it and try
    passwd when you get to a prompt.

    If that fails, we would have to know which boot loader you are using
    for booting run level 1.

    Another option is rescue mode. You boot cd/dvd, and chroot the /
    partition by the following:
    get to console/terminal
    mkdir /old
    mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old
    (u solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z [1,2,3..])
    chroot /old
    passwd
    shutdown -r now
    exit
    exit


  3. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    Iordani writes:

    >I installed MD 2008 on a new machine.
    >I choose a root password containing some none letter/number characters.
    >In the configuration part of the install I chose my keyboard layout which is
    >not the default(?) US one.


    I believe that the keyboard on installation is the US keyboard. Only on
    reboot is the one you chose used.


    >All went well until I rebooted and tried to do an update.
    >Now my new root password did not work! And to be honest, I don't even know
    >how to change it...


    >Googled for the layout of the US keyboard and when I used the corresponding
    >characters the password worked as it should


    OK, now you are in as root, change the password!!
    If you really want to use those weird characters, make the password an easy
    one which works on all keyboards, and then restart X and install a new root
    password with your new keyboard.


    >To make it a bit clearer... an underscore on my keyboard is a question mark
    >on the US one. So, if I used an underscore it was 'registered' as a
    >question mark in my password during the install process. (So for my
    >password to work I had to change what I had entered as an underscore to a
    >question mark.) Hope this makes sense...


    >I have not seen this mentioned before but have read about people having
    >problems with their passwords. Maybe this can be the reason for it?





  4. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    Bit Twister wrote:


    > Once you get to a run level 1 command line prompt you issue something like
    > passwd root
    > flowerpot
    > flowerpot
    >
    > Now root's password is flowerpot. Works for other users too.
    >
    > So, you might pick failsafe from your boot menu if you have it and try
    > passwd when you get to a prompt.
    >
    > If that fails, we would have to know which boot loader you are using
    > for booting run level 1.
    >
    > Another option is rescue mode. You boot cd/dvd, and chroot the /
    > partition by the following:
    > get to console/terminal
    > mkdir /old
    > mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old
    > (u solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z
    > [1,2,3..])
    > chroot /old
    > passwd
    > shutdown -r now
    > exit
    > exit


    I was just going to google around for some answers on that.
    Now I don't have to.
    Thank you.

  5. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    Unruh wrote:

    > OK, now you are in as root, change the password!!
    > If you really want to use those weird characters, make the password an
    > easy one which works on all keyboards, and then restart X and install a
    > new root password with your new keyboard.


    Well, I don't think one character is more weird than another.
    My point was just to mention this behavior and maybe suggest that keyboard
    layout should be chosen before one enters the passwords in the install
    process.

  6. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    On 2008-02-17, Iordani wrote:
    > Unruh wrote:
    >
    >> OK, now you are in as root, change the password!!
    >> If you really want to use those weird characters, make the password an
    >> easy one which works on all keyboards, and then restart X and install a
    >> new root password with your new keyboard.

    >
    > Well, I don't think one character is more weird than another.
    > My point was just to mention this behavior and maybe suggest that keyboard
    > layout should be chosen before one enters the passwords in the install
    > process.


    That does seem a reasonable idea - particularly given that Mandriva is a
    mostly French outfit so presumably familiar with non-US keyboards.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Re: Password problem - possible bug

    Whiskers writes:

    >On 2008-02-17, Iordani wrote:
    >> Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, now you are in as root, change the password!!
    >>> If you really want to use those weird characters, make the password an
    >>> easy one which works on all keyboards, and then restart X and install a
    >>> new root password with your new keyboard.

    >>
    >> Well, I don't think one character is more weird than another.
    >> My point was just to mention this behavior and maybe suggest that keyboard
    >> layout should be chosen before one enters the passwords in the install
    >> process.


    Of course in the installation, the keyboard is "chosen" before the root
    password is entered. Unfortunately after the keyboard is chosen, I do not
    believe that X is told to use the new keyboard. Ie, it simply uses the
    default throughout the installation process.

    Anyway, submit a bug to qa.mandriva.com



    >That does seem a reasonable idea - particularly given that Mandriva is a
    >mostly French outfit so presumably familiar with non-US keyboards.



+ Reply to Thread