RAID-1 install on 2008.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on RAID-1 install on 2008.0 - Mandriva ; Hi, After screwing around for a week or two I gave up trying to add RAID-1 to an existing system w/o destroying my data (see subject: Raid - getting started and How to boot from raid device?) I tried six ...

  1. RAID-1 install on 2008.0

    Hi,

    After screwing around for a week or two I gave up trying to add RAID-1 to
    an existing system w/o destroying my data (see subject: Raid - getting
    started and How to boot from raid device?)

    I tried six ways from Sunday but nothing worked.

    Anyway, I'm now resolved to installing 2008.0 from scratch to a two drive
    RAID-1 array.

    I found this: http://www.linux-corner.info/swraid.html with instructions
    for installing Mandriva on a RAID array.

    However, it says that when you get to the partitioning step you can
    create RAID partitions rather than ext3 partitions.

    "Boot from your normal boot media and follow the install until you get
    to the disk partitioning screen." and

    "Create each partition (/, /usr, /home etc) as you would normally on
    the first disk, however you need to set the filesystem/partition type to
    'Linux RAID'."

    The trouble is that the partitioning screen (in Mandriva 2008.0 install
    procedure) does not have an option for "Linux RAID" as a partition type.

    So how do you do this? What am I missing? Do I have to go back to an
    older release?

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. Re: RAID-1 install on 2008.0

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:14:46 -0500, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > "Create each partition (/, /usr, /home etc) as you would normally on
    > the first disk, however you need to set the filesystem/partition type to
    > 'Linux RAID'."
    > The trouble is that the partitioning screen (in Mandriva 2008.0 install
    > procedure) does not have an option for "Linux RAID" as a partition type.

    I don't have the beta, but I'm assuming it uses diskdrake. After you
    create the partition, before you format it, ensure you're in advanced
    mode, change the type, and linux raid should show up right after Linux
    Logical Volume Manager. Double check in the inital partitionion screen,
    and see if it as the toggle to expert mode, which should add linux raid
    as an option, for the type.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: RAID-1 install on 2008.0

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in
    newsp.t6oax6g1a3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net:

    > Double check in the inital partitionion screen,
    > and see if it as the toggle to expert mode, which should add linux raid
    > as an option, for the type.

    Hi David,

    You've been a tremendous help with my fumbling and stumbling. I want you
    to know that I really appreciate it.

    However, before I got your post I decided to try the BIOS route. I
    thought it was "fake raid" but I guess I was wrong. I installed anew
    using BIOS raid and, lo and behold, it worked!

    I can boot from either drive (by removing the other) and everything seems
    to work fine.

    The only difficulties I can see now are:

    1. There doesn't seem to be a way to check on the status of the array.
    AFAICS, Mandriva doesn't seem to know that RAID is in use.

    If I reboot without one of the drives I get a message from the BIOS that
    the array is degraded. But that isn't very practical.

    The machine is in a closet with no monitor and is seldom rebooted anyway.

    Is there any way to get the status of the BIOS raid in software?

    /proc/mdstat shows this:

    Personalities :
    unused devices:

    /etc/fstab shows this:

    /dev/mapper/nvidia_ebcjcfib1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_ebcjcfib6 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=
    0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_ebcjcfib5 swap swap defaults 0 0

    and /etc/raidtab doesn't exist.

    2. The swap partition appears to be mirrored along with everything else
    so I won't get the performance benefit of two swap partitions of equal
    priority. In fact, the mirroring may actually degrade performance. I
    guess I can live with this.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Frank

  4. Re: RAID-1 install on 2008.0

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:29:32 -0500, Frank Dreyfus wrote:

    > /etc/fstab shows this:
    > /dev/mapper/nvidia_ebcjcfib1 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    > /dev/mapper/nvidia_ebcjcfib6 /home ext3 relatime 1 2

    If you haven't already, install dmraid, and see if the output of dmraid -r
    helps out. Be sure to read "man dmraid", before trying any of the other
    options.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: RAID-1 install on 2008.0

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in