Change properties for the root account - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Change properties for the root account - Mandriva ; Hello, Could someone please tell me how to change the email properties for the root account. During installation, I entered an email address for the security notifications to be sent to. Subject lines below. [msec] *** Diff Check on Denver, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Change properties for the root account

  1. Change properties for the root account

    Hello,

    Could someone please tell me how to change the email properties for the
    root account. During installation, I entered an email address for the
    security notifications to be sent to. Subject lines below.

    [msec] *** Diff Check on Denver, Mon Jan 28 04:08:00 CST 2008 ***

    and

    [msec] *** Security Check on Denver, Sun Feb 3 04:08:04 CST 2008 ***

    I now want to change that address but can't figure out how.

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: Change properties for the root account

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:10:45 GMT, DaveM wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Could someone please tell me how to change the email properties for the
    > root account. During installation, I entered an email address for the
    > security notifications to be sent to.



    KDE Menu-->System-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer
    --> Security --> Set up security level and audit

    You may also consider clicking up a terminal
    su - root

    cd /etc/postfix
    gedit aliases
    and about 10 lines from the bottom, change
    root: postfix
    to root: dave

    Click File top left of editor window,
    Save and Quit

    postalias aliases
    service postfix restart


    Now any messages to root will goto dave's mailbox on your system.

  3. Re: Change properties for the root account

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:10:45 GMT, DaveM wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Could someone please tell me how to change the email properties for the
    >> root account. During installation, I entered an email address for the
    >> security notifications to be sent to.

    >
    >
    > KDE Menu-->System-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer
    > --> Security --> Set up security level and audit
    >
    > You may also consider clicking up a terminal
    > su - root
    >
    > cd /etc/postfix
    > gedit aliases
    > and about 10 lines from the bottom, change
    > root: postfix
    > to root: dave
    >
    > Click File top left of editor window,
    > Save and Quit
    >
    > postalias aliases
    > service postfix restart
    >
    >
    > Now any messages to root will goto dave's mailbox on your system


    Thanks,

    Made the change to the aliases files.

    But my system, Manriva Spring 2007 running 2.6.17-17mdv didn't have the
    Set up security level and audit field you suggested.

    I only have "Set up network interfaces failover and firewall replication
    " and "Set up a personal firewall in order to protect the computer and
    the network"

    Any suggestions on where to look?

    thanks,

    Dave

  4. Re: Change properties for the root account

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:11:41 GMT, DaveM wrote:
    >
    > But my system, Manriva Spring 2007 running 2.6.17-17mdv didn't have the
    > Set up security level and audit field you suggested.


    Hmm, I just fired up 2007.1,
    clicked up a terminal,
    su - root
    mcc
    second selection from bottom, there is
    Security (key icon)
    Next I clicked
    Set the system security level and the periodic security audit
    (Terminal with lock icon)
    Bottom of first screen.

  5. Re: Change properties for the root account

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:19:30 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:11:41 GMT, DaveM wrote:
    >>
    >> But my system, Manriva Spring 2007 running 2.6.17-17mdv didn't have the
    >> Set up security level and audit field you suggested.

    >
    > Hmm, I just fired up 2007.1,
    > clicked up a terminal,
    > su - root
    > mcc


    Oh, yeah, on release 2007.x , when you get into Mandriva Control Center,
    Click Options, top of screen
    and select Expert.

    > second selection from bottom, there is
    > Security (key icon)
    > Next I clicked
    > Set the system security level and the periodic security audit
    > (Terminal with lock icon)
    > Bottom of first screen.



  6. Re: Change properties for the root account


    >
    > Oh, yeah, on release 2007.x , when you get into Mandriva Control Center,
    > Click Options, top of screen
    > and select Expert.



    Got it. Thanks for the help.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread