Easy to use - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Easy to use - Mandriva ; Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here... i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008 powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems, its the first flavour of linux i've ...

  1. Easy to use

    Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...

    i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless (built
    in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well, however
    command line i can do only very basics...

    LS, CD, Ping, etc...

    still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask rather than
    the generic linux channels

  2. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:46:00 GMT, Myke wrote:
    > Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >
    > i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    > powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    > its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless (built
    > in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well, however
    > command line i can do only very basics...

    You may want to consider going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ setting your
    mirrors and do the updates to get all security fixes and new kernel.

  3. Re: Easy to use

    "Myke" wrote in message
    > Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >
    > i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    > powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    > its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless (built
    > in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well, however
    > command line i can do only very basics...
    >
    > LS, CD, Ping, etc...
    >
    > still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    > would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    > any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask rather than
    > the generic linux channels

    If you have the Powerpack DVD you can install the Fluendo codecs for mp3s
    etc and also a legal linux DVD player LinDVD.
    If you need additional formats you need the win32-codecs package which is
    available from the plf
    repository which you can add from here http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

  4. Re: Easy to use

    Myke writes:

    > Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >
    > i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    > powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    > its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless (built
    > in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well, however
    > command line i can do only very basics...
    >
    > LS, CD, Ping, etc...
    >
    > still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    > would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    > any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask rather than
    > the generic linux channels

    Follow Bit's advice.
    After that you can install the win32 codecs and all your avi, wmv, stuff
    will play fine.

  5. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:11:37 +0000 (UTC)
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > You may want to consider going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ setting
    > your mirrors and do the updates to get all security fixes and new
    > kernel.

    Once the updates and security fixes are installed, install the
    multimedia stuff, like flash, java, Mplayer, and its codec's for playing
    avi, wmv, mpegs, etc..

    --
    Patrick in IL.

  6. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:11:37 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:46:00 GMT, Myke wrote:
    >> Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >>
    >> i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    >> powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    >> its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless
    >> (built in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well,
    >> however command line i can do only very basics...

    > You may want to consider going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ setting
    > your mirrors and do the updates to get all security fixes and new
    > kernel.

    when you say "mirrors"... whadya mean? i've updated as much as i can
    through the "update system", then updated what was there...

  7. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:11:37 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    Oh, yeah,
    Recommendations: Get into Mandriva Control Center (mcc)

    KDE Menu-->System-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer
    --> Software management,
    --> Configure media sources for install and update
    and unable the removable selections.

    While there, click Options, Global options and set Wget as default
    down loader.

    Quit mcc

    You may want to consider going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    to select the update mirrors,
    main, main_updates, contrib, contrib_updates, non-free,
    non-free_updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree.

    I would not enable backport selection mirrors.

    Once you picked your mirrors, and Step Three provides commands,
    Click up a terminal
    su - root

    Cut commands from browser and paste in terminal
    hit Enter.
    When mirrors finish loading, do a
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    That will bring your system up to date with security and bug fixes.
    I would close all applicateions and reboot.

  8. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:01:37 GMT, Myke wrote:

    >> You may want to consider going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ setting
    >> your mirrors and do the updates to get all security fixes and new
    >> kernel.

    > when you say "mirrors"... whadya mean? i've updated as much as i can
    > through the "update system", then updated what was there...

    Ok, those updates were downloaded from "mirrors".
    If you were to do a

    cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

    You would see what mirrors you have selected. For easy reading do a
    grep { /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

    That should give some lines something like
    main ftp://ft/linux/mandrake/official/200...a/main/release {
    main_updates ftp://ftp./linux/mandrake/official/2...a/main/updates {

    That shows you have a main and main_updates mirror set.

  9. Re: Easy to use

    Myke wrote:

    > i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    > powerpack DVD on it...

    > one thing that
    > would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    > any suggestions? *figured this would be the best place to ask rather than
    > the generic linux channels

    As said by someone else: On Mandr*, the Penguin Liberation Front (PLF) is
    your friend. See http://plf.zarb.org/ and specially
    http://plf.zarb.org/faq.php and http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    I had been using Mandr* since "Festen", but have switched to Ubuntu some
    time ago. With Ubuntu, the functionality and codecs you need will be
    installed with one or two mouseclicks at the moment you click on an avi or
    wmv or mpeg.

    HTH

    de Kameel

  10. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:46:00 +0000, Myke wrote:

    > Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >
    > i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    > powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    > its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless
    > (built in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well,
    > however command line i can do only very basics...
    >
    > LS, CD, Ping, etc...

    LS, CD and Ping are not Linux commands. Are you possibly thinking of ls,
    cd and ping?

    > still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    > would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    > any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask rather
    > than the generic linux channels

    There are several multi-media packages for Linux. You should have no
    difficulty finding them with a simple search in your package manager.

  11. Re: Easy to use

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:52:59 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:46:00 +0000, Myke wrote:
    >
    >> Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >>
    >> i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    >> powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    >> its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless
    >> (built in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well,
    >> however command line i can do only very basics...
    >>
    >> LS, CD, Ping, etc...

    > LS, CD and Ping are not Linux commands. Are you possibly thinking of ls,
    > cd and ping?
    >>
    >> still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    >> would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs,
    >> etc... any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask
    >> rather than the generic linux channels

    > There are several multi-media packages for Linux. You should have no
    > difficulty finding them with a simple search in your package manager.

    Excuse me for typing correctly, lol. Yes "ls", "cd" and "ping".

  12. Re: Easy to use

    Myke wrote:

    > still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one
    > thing that would make my life easier would be if i can play
    > avi, wmv, mpegs, etc...
    > any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask
    > rather than the generic linux channels

    The Powerpack should install all the fluendo codecs plus
    commercial apps if requested - did you select the multimedia
    option (I think it is called) when choosing categories to
    install? (Full powerpack edition has been licenced to Linux
    Magazine BTW).

    If not, simplest route is to reboot from install DVD, follow
    prompts as before changing nothing except to choose 'upgrade'
    not 'install'. Then select the multimedia option at the
    software selection window and let it get to work.

    Follow by updates etc as always.

    BTW recent versions incorporate the command:
    urpmi --auto-update
    to update sources and install updates. Be aware that this will
    now include any 'backports' sources if they have been selected
    (unlike the auto-updater icon in the taskbar which only does
    updates from sources selected as 'update').

    HTH
    Syd

  13. Re: Easy to use

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:45:49 +0000, Syd wrote:

    > BTW recent versions incorporate the command:
    > urpmi --auto-update
    > to update sources and install updates. Be aware that this will
    > now include any 'backports' sources if they have been selected
    > (unlike the auto-updater icon in the taskbar which only does
    > updates from sources selected as 'update').

    On the beta 2 release, you even get other mirror selections even if
    you have Enable and Update unchecked.

    Just the *hdlist* files get updated, package updates still honored
    Enable flag.

  14. Re: Easy to use

    Myke wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:52:59 +0000, ray wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:46:00 +0000, Myke wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just thought i'd throw my opinion in here...
    >>>
    >>>i've just bought linux user (i think it was) with the mandriva 2008
    >>>powerpack DVD on it... installed it on my laptop, without any problems,
    >>>its the first flavour of linux i've used that picks up my wireless
    >>>(built in) and uses it properly... graphically i can use it very well,
    >>>however command line i can do only very basics...
    >>>
    >>>LS, CD, Ping, etc...

    >>LS, CD and Ping are not Linux commands. Are you possibly thinking of ls,
    >>cd and ping?

    > Excuse me for typing correctly, lol. Yes "ls", "cd" and "ping".

    He may excuse you. The OS wouldn't

  15. Re: Easy to use

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:45:49 +0000, Syd wrote:

    > Myke wrote:
    >
    >> still i find this a very nice operating system to use, one thing that
    >> would make my life easier would be if i can play avi, wmv, mpegs,
    >> etc...
    >> any suggestions? figured this would be the best place to ask rather
    >> than the generic linux channels

    > The Powerpack should install all the fluendo codecs plus commercial apps
    > if requested - did you select the multimedia option (I think it is
    > called) when choosing categories to install? (Full powerpack edition has
    > been licenced to Linux Magazine BTW).
    >
    > If not, simplest route is to reboot from install DVD, follow prompts as
    > before changing nothing except to choose 'upgrade' not 'install'. Then
    > select the multimedia option at the software selection window and let
    > it get to work.
    >
    > Follow by updates etc as always.
    >
    > BTW recent versions incorporate the command:
    > urpmi --auto-update
    > to update sources and install updates. Be aware that this will now
    > include any 'backports' sources if they have been selected (unlike the
    > auto-updater icon in the taskbar which only does updates from sources
    > selected as 'update').
    >
    > HTH
    > Syd

    lol so true...